Libel Suits For Sharing 'Fake News'

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Drudge, Facebook, NYT readers could face libel suits for sharing 'fake news'

She would also use regulation to "improve voter competence," according to the new proposal titled Fool Me Once: The Case for Government Regulation of ‘Fake News.' Ravel, who now lectures at Berkeley Law, still has allies on the FEC who support internet regulation. The paper was co-written by Abby K. Wood, an associate professor at the University of Southern California, and Irina Dykhne, a student at USC Gould School of Law.

The proposal immediately came under fire from from the Republican FEC commissioner who for years has been warning of the left's effort to regulate political talk they don't like, especially on conservative newsfeeds like Drudge.

Lee Goodman told Secrets, "Ann's proposal is full blown regulation of all political content, even discussion of issues, posted at any time, for free or for a fee, on any online platform, from Facebook to the NewYorkTimes.com."

[clip]

In their proposal, the trio wrote, "after a social media user clicks ‘share' on a disputed item (if the platforms do not remove them and only label them as disputed), government can require that the user be reminded of the definition of libel against a public figure. Libel of public figures requires ‘actual malice,' defined as knowledge of falsity or reckless disregard for the truth. Sharing an item that has been flagged as untrue might trigger liability under libel laws."

Goodman said, "A fatal flaw of Ann's proposal is that it cannot define what is, or is not, ‘disinformation' in a political message. Nevertheless, it proposes to tag threats of libel lawsuits and liability to thousands of American citizens who might want to retweet or forward a message that somebody else subjectively considers to be ‘disinformational.' I call that the big chill."

[clip]

They also want to build a national database of all regulated political ads and discussions, a potential invasion of privacy especially for bloggers or people who comment on news and Facebook posts, Goodman warned.

"Americans should not be required to sign a national registry everytime they post a political video on YouTube," he said.

:twitch:

Last edited:

SamSpade

The only one of those three "sources" that I see as being liable for their material is the New York Times, since they actually CREATE the pieces.
The other two merely provide links to press pieces much in the same way that Google does.

I don't see how in the legal world you can print something knowingly false and not be accountable for it - but if you provide a LINK to something someone else published, you might be.

I'm not happy with the direction all of the "fake news" is going. While we have media sources fabricating articles out of whole cloth without a shred of even innuendo - because it might be believed -
the distinction seems to me to be very thin. Case in point, the recent "insult" Trump presumably made which is only propigated by one person who clearly hates him, but disputed by others who were also there.
Which is the fake news - the testimony of a biased source - or the testimony of the rest? Which source will a biased group of persons making the call deem "fake"?

Moreover, printing a piece which defames someone is one thing, but it's more important to deal with news pieces which actually have a chance at destroying something.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
How stupid. They should go after the creator, not the poor dupe who doesn't know whether it's real or not and shares it.

The Lefties do love their fascism, don't they?

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
The only one of those three "sources" that I see as being liable for their material is the New York Times, since they actually CREATE the pieces.

we all know Progressives will NOT being going after the NYT or WaPo, or LAT ... etc anytime soon .....

this is all about re-tweeting / linking on Facebook / other Social Media, the likes of

Drudge
Breitbart
Fox News [although they are sliding further left]
Townhall
Mediaite
Newsbusters

etc ...

The Lefties do love their fascism, don't they?

Any Speech they don't Like .... must be edited, suppressed, banned

Hijinx

Had to turn my sound off. Hate commercials that jump up and talk when I am reading the posts

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Had to turn my sound off. Hate commercials that jump up and talk when I am reading the posts

On here? Do you remember what it was? Google lets those slip through :)rolleyes:) and David will go in and block them.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
On here? Do you remember what it was? Google lets those slip through :)rolleyes:) and David will go in and block them.

Huh..Happens often to me too. I didn't realize you were trying to block them. I'll make a note of them in future.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Huh..Happens often to me too. I didn't realize you were trying to block them. I'll make a note of them in future.

Please, and let me know so we can make them go away. We do earn money from these ads, but draw the line when they get too intrusive or obnoxious.