Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Results 31 to 37 of 37

Thread: Pellet v.s. wood stove

  1. #31
    When I live in Mechanicsville I would buy it from Stoffers Farm Supply in Loveville and when I went to WV to hunt or visit family I would load up the dually with bulk coal at one of the mines in Page..
    Another avenue is the guys who do blacksmith work use coal and I do believe there is someone that will deliver by the ton thats somewhat local to Southern MD..
    Originally Posted by littlelady View Post
    I just reported you. You are one scary individual.

  2. #32
    Quote Originally Posted by black dog View Post
    When I live in Mechanicsville I would buy it from Stoffers Farm Supply in Loveville and when I went to WV to hunt or visit family I would load up the dually with bulk coal at one of the mines in Page..
    Another avenue is the guys who do blacksmith work use coal and I do believe there is someone that will deliver by the ton thats somewhat local to Southern MD..
    Edit,, Tractor Supply out here sells bagged nut sized coal in a 40lb? bag for 6 bucks..
    I would think if it's not stocked in Hollywood it could be ordered..
    Originally Posted by littlelady View Post
    I just reported you. You are one scary individual.

  3. #33
    Don't forget; but a pellet stove requires electric to run the auger that feeds the pellets into the stove! Lose electric...lose the stove.

  4. #34
    Registered User DEEKAYPEE8569's Avatar
    Member Since
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Suthin' Merlin
    Posts
    10,366
    Quote Originally Posted by somdforever View Post
    Don't forget; but a pellet stove requires electric to run the auger that feeds the pellets into the stove! Lose electric...lose the stove.
    The quick answer is, 'make sure you have a genny in case power goes out. I know nothing about pellet stoves. Wouldn't it make sense for them to have a manual auger just in case of a power failure? Something like a handle that works like a lug wrench, that attaches to a gear.....

    Disregard.....I found this:
    http://resources.secamerica.com/how-...a-power-outage
    If all you are gonna do is give me grief about what I post DON'T READ IT Heh? Have a nice day :-D

  5. #35
    Quote Originally Posted by somdforever View Post
    Don't forget; but a pellet stove requires electric to run the auger that feeds the pellets into the stove! Lose electric...lose the stove.
    Quote Originally Posted by DEEKAYPEE8569 View Post
    The quick answer is, 'make sure you have a genny in case power goes out. I know nothing about pellet stoves. Wouldn't it make sense for them to have a manual auger just in case of a power failure? Something like a handle that works like a lug wrench, that attaches to a gear.....

    Disregard.....I found this:
    http://resources.secamerica.com/how-...a-power-outage
    See post 19 above.

    Nobody listens to me.
    "It must be inordinately taxing to be such a boob."
    The Brain

  6. #36
    Registered User DEEKAYPEE8569's Avatar
    Member Since
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Suthin' Merlin
    Posts
    10,366
    Quote Originally Posted by GWguy View Post
    See post 19 above.

    Nobody listens to me.
    I'msorrywhuut? My bad. I just replied to the last post by somdforever. I didn't read the entire tred.
    If all you are gonna do is give me grief about what I post DON'T READ IT Heh? Have a nice day :-D

  7. #37
    Quote Originally Posted by frequentflier View Post
    Not too proud to admit I have picked many things up on the side of the road :-)

    Rebate through the State. It took some work to get, though! We had to send before and after pics to prove we replaced the old stove with a new stove.

    Brand name Regency. We like the window to watch it burn, too. It doesn't require filling as much as the old one and it is easy to adjust the temperature. It helps that our home is well insulated. I only wish we could pipe the heat into our attached in law apt.
    We have a (fun) system for loading wood in basement (we have racks from a grocery store with high sides on both ends- perfect!) Husband gets mower and trailer, fills with wood and we put a tarp on basement floor. Open basement door and he flings them down to tarp and I stack.
    Like I said, we enjoy heating with wood!
    It is a Regency F3500 model stove, has a glass door. It does have a catalytic bed in the flue gas vent path, selectable. It has to get hot before it works, and the info that I have says that it actually generates considerable hear by reburning the smoke before it goes up the chimney, resulting in both much lower emissions and greater heat output. The trick is to RTFM, of course... it has to get up to about 600 degrees before the catalyst bed functions properly (just like the catalytic converter in a car does). It is obvious when it fires off, it glows red hot and the chimney smoke d finitely changes character, from smoke to more like steam - changes from black / grayish to white or often nothing visible depending on outside air temp and humidity.
    Don't confuse what you do to live with what you do to survive.

Members who have read this thread: 61

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Search:     Advanced Search
Search HELP

| Home | Help | Contact Us | About somd.com | Privacy | Advertising | Sponsors | Newsletter |

| What's New | What's Cool | Top Rated | Add A Link | Mod a Link |

| Announcements | Bookstore | Cafe | Calendar | Classifieds | Community |
| Culture | Dating | Dining | Education | Employment | Entertainment |
| Forums | Free E-Mail | Games | Gear! | Government | Guestbook | Health | Marketplace | Mortgage | News |
| Organizations | Photos | Real Estate | Relocation | Sports | Survey | Travel | Wiki | Weather | Worship |