Thread: Wind power...and juxtaposition of old and new.

Wind power...and juxtaposition of old and new.

I was lollygagging around the second deck of the vessel we've got dry docked in Esbjerg when this vessel (pic) first came in to view..and then passed on by.

The vessel in question is an excellent example of the incredible (and $$$) task-specific technology that has been developed for the construction of offshore wind farms; it's sole purpose in life is the erection of turbine pylons on to the already-set underwater foundation and placement of the turbine nacelle on top. Other huge specialty vessels set the foundations, set the blades, lay the connecting cables, etc.

In the second pic, the pylon erecting vessel is passing by a group of idled oil/gas jackup drilling and wellhead maintenance rigs. In the foreground is a SWATH windfarm crew transfer vessel...and I'm taking the pics standing on the deck of a SWATH windfarm crew transfer vessel.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0752[1].jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	53.2 KB 
ID:	120230Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0754[1].jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	88.1 KB 
ID:	120231
    You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline. It helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer. -Frank Zappa

Who's (builder) SWATH is that tied up in the foreground? It looks like a SLICE.
    "Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever." - Shane Falco

Quote Originally Posted by stgislander View Post
    Who's (builder) SWATH is that tied up in the foreground? It looks like a SLICE.
    I don't recall off the top of my head. I know she's not stabilizer equipped and not a SLICE; just two struts over each hull instead of one continuous one.
    You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline. It helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer. -Frank Zappa

how are the foundations built
    Weíre tempted to suggest a conspiracy here ó but itís just liberals agreeing yet again that conservatives have hidden, evil motives, because modern liberals simply canít conceive of any other reason to disagree with the liberal consensus.

Quote Originally Posted by GURPS View Post
    how are the foundations built
    About 6 different distinct types these days. I have a graphic somewhere that illustrates them all; I'll find it and post it.

Members who have read this thread: 19