Wind power...and juxtaposition of old and new.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
I was lollygagging around the second deck of the vessel we've got dry docked in Esbjerg when this vessel (pic) first came in to view..and then passed on by.

The vessel in question is an excellent example of the incredible (and $$$) task-specific technology that has been developed for the construction of offshore wind farms; it's sole purpose in life is the erection of turbine pylons on to the already-set underwater foundation and placement of the turbine nacelle on top. Other huge specialty vessels set the foundations, set the blades, lay the connecting cables, etc.

In the second pic, the pylon erecting vessel is passing by a group of idled oil/gas jackup drilling and wellhead maintenance rigs. In the foreground is a SWATH windfarm crew transfer vessel...and I'm taking the pics standing on the deck of a SWATH windfarm crew transfer vessel.

IMG_0752[1].jpg IMG_0754[1].jpg

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Who's (builder) SWATH is that tied up in the foreground? It looks like a SLICE.

I don't recall off the top of my head. I know she's not stabilizer equipped and not a SLICE; just two struts over each hull instead of one continuous one.