NYT Editor Trump Isn't Hitler ... But He Lies The Same .....

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
New York Times Columnist Writes Worst Op-Ed EVER Comparing Trump To Hitler

On Thursday, the phrase “Trump Isn’t Hitler” began trending on Twitter. Now, before you begin wondering whether some semblance of rationality suddenly descended on the chaotic foodfight that is Twitter, understand that the phrase only trended because it was part of the title of an article claiming that, at root, Trump is sort of Hitler. That article came from Charles Blow of The New York Times, and was titled in full, “Trump Isn’t Hitler. But His Lies…”

[clip]

But the really stunning thing about the piece is Blow’s trite connection between Hitler’s lies and Trump’s. After disowning any connection between genocidal Hitler and Trump, Blow proceeds to tie together “Hitler the liar” and Trump the liar. How so? By once again relying on the cliché of the “big lie.”

Now, I have been pretty clear that I think Donald Trump is dishonest on a routine basis. Hell, I cut a video during the campaign to that effect:

But is Trump a Hitler-style liar? Not even close. Hitler’s lies were clever and purposeful, not self-inflating verbal tics. Hitler didn’t succeed in his lies because they were big, contrary to common opinion – he succeeded because they were difficult to debunk, being broad claims about events behind the scenes, repeated by millions of others (see, for example, the stabbed-in-the-back myth about World War I).

The Hitlerian conceit that the big lie is always easier to promulgate than the small lie isn’t actually true. It’s the vague lie, often repeated, that is easiest to push. Big lies — lying that the sun is green or that government is turning the frogs gay — are notoriously difficult to push or maintain for any serious period of time.