Judge rules Peace Cross has to go.

Hijinx

I wonder about getting other people's thoughts on this.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/loca...4576dc0f39d_story.html?utm_term=.319ff79b4280

This cross was erected almost 100 years ago by the American legion to honor the men who died in WW 2./
It became expensive to keep up so they deeded it to the State.
Now some butthead atheist Mother Trucker is offended and a Doodoo headed Judge says it has to go.

All of my life it has been called Peace Cross, it hasn't been dedicated just to Christians who wanted Peace, but to all in spite of it being a Cross.
Remember this if this Mother Lover has his was he will soon attack the cross at the top of Maryland's flag staff and other crosses I won't mention since I do not want to give this phuck head any ideas.

littlelady

God bless the USA
Obviously, this crap is not going to end, anytime soon. What do these 'constantly offended people' do? They spend their time looking for something to be offended about; which would really not be offending, if they would think about it.

What's next? Demanding all crosses be taken down from churches and cemeteries. What do they think of the Red Cross, I wonder? What about Blue Cross/Blue Shield? Etc., etc., etc.

And, there has been a discussion, recently, on the forum that Trump did not honor a fallen soldier, properly.

Good grief. So sick of it all. It is scary to know we live amongst some that have, totally, lost their minds; not to mention that their moral compass is broken.

Hijinx

Obviously, this crap is not going to end, anytime soon. What do these 'constantly offended people' do? They spend their time looking for something to be offended about; which would really not be offending, if they would think about it.

What's next? Demanding all crosses be taken down from churches and cemeteries. What do they think of the Red Cross, I wonder? What about Blue Cross/Blue Shield? Etc., etc., etc.

And, there has been a discussion, recently, on the forum that Trump did not honor a fallen soldier, properly.

Good grief. So sick of it all. It is scary to know we live amongst some that have, totally, lost their minds; not to mention that their moral compass is broken.

I don't know how the items that so offend the few can over rule the feeling of the many.

littlelady

God bless the USA
I don't know how the items that so offend the few can over rule the feeling of the many.

Excellent comment. I don't know, either. Maybe, someone can enlighten us on that subject. Can of worms time! As my 21 month old granddot says...ah oh!

Sapidus

Honest question what would you think if a Muslim community raised funds and had a Gia t Star and Cross placed on public land to honor the people killed on 9/11?

Would you be okay with that?

littlelady

God bless the USA
Honest question what would you think if a Muslim community raised funds and had a Gia t Star and Cross placed on public land to honor the people killed on 9/11?

I am ok with Americans expressing their opinions. I am not ok with the idiotic crap. America is a melting pot, and the greatest place to live in the World. If there were Muslims killed in the 9/11 attack that were legit citizens, yes, they can erect any monument they want. I binged 'Gia t Star and Cross', and nothing came up. What is that? TIA

SamSpade

I don't see the connection - were it any other religion, I would be fine with it, but since it was CAUSED by Muslims, in the name of their religion, it would be gloating.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Ronald D. Rotunda, professor of jurisprudence at the Fowler School of Law at Chapman University in Orange, California, said if the logic of the court’s ruling is applied consistently, countless public memorials that contain religious references could be ordered to be altered or destroyed.

He said the court’s reliance on “fact-specific” judgments is “a fancy way of saying, ‘Trust us. We don’t make the legal rules. We should ban what we feel like banning, and we’re not going to ban Arlington Cemetery crosses right now.’”

“Oh, and those crosses are smaller!” Mr. Rotunda said. “Really, that’s legal precedent. They find in the First Amendment a constitutional test based on the size of the cross. That’s a hoot!”

Indeed, if a 40-foot cross is an impermissible endorsement of religion, then what about a 13-foot-tall one? That’s the height of the Argonne Cross Memorial, a white marble cross in Arlington National Cemetery that memorializes American soldiers who died fighting in France during World War I.

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2017/oct/18/peace-cross-of-bladensburg-ruled-unconstitutional-/

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Federal Court Rules Towering WWI Memorial Cross Unconstitutional
Maryland "Peace Cross" has the "primary effect" of endorsing religion, 4th Circuit says.

But members of the American Humanist Association found a handful of locals who claimed to be "triggered" by the cross's mere presence on local property, and who became "offended" when they had to drive past the cross regularly as they did errands around town. At one point, the Plaintiffs even, erroneously, claimed the Ku Klux Klan was involved in erecting the cross, in a bid to get town residents behind its removal. That effort ultimately failed, so AHA took the case to court.

A District Court Judge initially tossed the lawsuit, but Plaintiffs appealed.

The American Legion says it will appeal further to the Supreme Court, who ruled just a few short years ago that Ten Commandments monuments, which stood on Federal land for more than half a century, could remain up despite being symbols of religion. This was because their historical value outweighed their religious symbolism. That historic value is a key component of the Supreme Court's test for whether a monument violates the Establishment Clauses, and constitutes an unconstitutional endorsement of religion.

This is the first "Establishment Clause" case in nearly a decade. Atheists filed lawsuits like this one routinely in the early 2000s, as part of a de facto national campaign to rid public spaces of any and all religious symbolism. Once the Supreme Court spoke on the matter in 2007, the lawsuits mostly stopped — but the Maryland atheists apparently wanted to keep the ball rolling.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
here is thew bull s h i t reasoning:

At the core of the First Amendment’s Establishment Clause is the principle that the government must not favor or prefer some religions over others, or religion over non-religion. No matter how small the preference may seem to some, particularly to adherents of the favored religion, the framers of the Constitution believed that “The breach of neutrality that is today a trickling stream may all too soon become a raging torrent.”

When the government erects an exclusively Christian monument on government property, it violates this central command of the Establishment Clause by sending a clear message that Christianity is the preferred religion over all others. When the religious monument is dedicated to fallen soldiers, it sends an even more egregious message that only Christian soldiers are worth memorializing. Non-Christian soldiers such as atheists and humanists are inherently excluded.

Such is the case with a cross in Bladensburg, Maryland, commonly known as the “Peace Cross,” which stands forty-feet high on a government-owned median between roadways. In addition to the obvious sectarian nature of the Latin cross, the Bladensburg cross was also erected with religious motives … In seeking the removal of the Bladensburg cross, the American Humanist Association seeks only to eliminate this stigmatic message to non-adherents of Christianity. It urges the government to erect an inclusive monument that will honor all fallen soldiers, regardless of their faith.

https://thehumanist.com/news/national/why-we-sued-the-city-of-bladensburg-over-a-40-foot-cross

Sapidus

I am ok with Americans expressing their opinions. I am not ok with the idiotic crap. America is a melting pot, and the greatest place to live in the World. If there were Muslims killed in the 9/11 attack that were legit citizens, yes, they can erect any monument they want. I binged 'Gia t Star and Cross', and nothing came up. What is that? TIA

I said if muslims erected a giant star and cross to honor the dead. I didn't say only honor the muslim dead

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
The question was would you be reacting the same if it was a muslim religious symbol?

I said if muslims erected a giant star and cross to honor the dead. I didn't say only honor the muslim dead

:bs:

false equivalency ..... well if Muslims did .....

Sapidus

:bs:

false equivalency ..... well if Muslims did .....

Only in your tiny mind is it a false equivalence.

We are a nation founded on religious freedom. That means all religions.

If you can honestly say that you would feel the same fine.

If you can't you need to realize you are biased toward one religion over another.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Only in your tiny mind is it a false equivalence.

Show of Hands, who else thinks this is :bs:

False equivalence – describing a situation of logical and apparent equivalence, when in fact there is none.

and Islam is NOT a Religion

Islam = Totalitarian Political Structure Dedicated to the Subjugation of anyone NOT Muslim and Women who are .....

I'm still waiting that list of Christian Theocracies telling women how to behave in public, and what to wear

Sapidus

Show of Hands, who else thinks this is :bs:

False equivalence – describing a situation of logical and apparent equivalence, when in fact there is none.

and Islam is NOT a Religion

Islam = Totalitarian Political Structure Dedicated to the Subjugation of anyone NOT Muslim and Women who are .....

I'm still waiting that list of Christian Theocracies telling women how to behave in public, and what to wear

BS. The Koran is no different from the bible and many muslims and christians interpret passages differently and adhere to them differently

…33For God is not a God of disorder, but of peace. As in all the congregations of the saints, 34women are to be silent in the churches. They are not permitted to speak, but must be in submission, as the Law says. 35If they wish to inquire about something, they are to ask their own husbands at home; for it is dishonorable for a woman to speak in the church.…

Instructions to Women
…11A woman must learn in quietness and full submissiveness. 12I do not permit a woman to teach or exercise authority over a man; she is to remain quiet. 13For Adam was formed first, and then Eve.…

Hijinx

here is thew bull s h i t reasoning:

At the core of the First Amendment’s Establishment Clause is the principle that the government must not favor or prefer some religions over others, or religion over non-religion. No matter how small the preference may seem to some, particularly to adherents of the favored religion, the framers of the Constitution believed that “The breach of neutrality that is today a trickling stream may all too soon become a raging torrent.”

When the government erects an exclusively Christian monument on government property, it violates this central command of the Establishment Clause by sending a clear message that Christianity is the preferred religion over all others. When the religious monument is dedicated to fallen soldiers, it sends an even more egregious message that only Christian soldiers are worth memorializing. Non-Christian soldiers such as atheists and humanists are inherently excluded.

Such is the case with a cross in Bladensburg, Maryland, commonly known as the “Peace Cross,” which stands forty-feet high on a government-owned median between roadways. In addition to the obvious sectarian nature of the Latin cross, the Bladensburg cross was also erected with religious motives … In seeking the removal of the Bladensburg cross, the American Humanist Association seeks only to eliminate this stigmatic message to non-adherents of Christianity. It urges the government to erect an inclusive monument that will honor all fallen soldiers, regardless of their faith.

https://thehumanist.com/news/national/why-we-sued-the-city-of-bladensburg-over-a-40-foot-cross

Now doesn't that sound just peachy?
Of course it's BS.

They are a pack of anti Christian, anti religious, anti Veteran azzholes
Now that's my opinion.

In the first place the Government did not place this cross there The American Legion did.
It was deeded to the State later.
It is of historical significance. Since it has been there since right after WW1.
It has always been called the "Peace Cross" Not the Catholic cross or the Protestant cross. or a Latin Cross but "Peace Cross.

Their excuse as in Quotes plus their name American Humanist Association makes them sound just ducky for an anti-Christian hate organization.

If they win this won and it appears they found a Democrat Judge who let them win look out there will be others falling.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
BS. The Koran is no different from the bible and many muslims and christians interpret passages differently and adhere to them differently

…33For God is not a God of disorder, but of peace. As in all the congregations of the saints, 34women are to be silent in the churches. They are not permitted to speak, but must be in submission, as the Law says. 35If they wish to inquire about something, they are to ask their own husbands at home; for it is dishonorable for a woman to speak in the church.…

Instructions to Women
…11A woman must learn in quietness and full submissiveness. 12I do not permit a woman to teach or exercise authority over a man; she is to remain quiet. 13For Adam was formed first, and then Eve.…

more false equivalencies .... :cds: but the bible

still waiting for that list of Christian Theocracies .... list the churches that tell their women to sit down and shut up