Tires for 2013 Toyota Camry LE

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
Looking to replace the original Michelins without spending the money on replacement Michelins, which is outrageous. :faint:

Anyhoo, the car is a 2013 Toyota Camry LE and the tire size is 205/65R16. I am considering these but have never had Firestone tires before:

http://www.tiresplus.com/tires/brands/firestone/fr710/2379

Seems to be a good tire at a good price. I also have gotten tires from there before and have been pleased with their service. Thoughts? Better ideas?

I also know two of the tire pressure sensors are bad and need to be replaced. Should I get those done at the same time or go to the dealer?

TIA!

I did a quick search of Michelin 205/65R16. Not that I'd buy from WalMart, but they had a Michelin Energy Saver for $124.

I'd do a little more shopping. See if Curtis in Great Mills can do something for you.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
I have had good performance with the Toyo's I put on my 1995 Saturn

Toyo Extensa A/S either a 195 stock or 205 [for my car]

65k warranty

not that you are going to drive to Silver Spring
- but Radial Tire always too good care of me, my wife has used them since the mid 90s

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
Curtis Tire, Great Mills Rd

I did a quick search of Michelin 205/65R16. Not that I'd buy from WalMart, but they had a Michelin Energy Saver for $124.

I'd do a little more shopping. See if Curtis in Great Mills can do something for you.

The problem with Curtis is time. Their hours do not work well with my schedule:

M-F: 7:30 a.m. 5:30 p.m.
Sat: 8:00 a.m. 1:00 p.m.
Sun: Closed

But I did go to their website and request quotes for several tires so I will see if it is worth it to go there. Thanks! And GWGuy I am very hesitant to get tires from Walmart again. It was a nightmare the first time and I really don't want to relive it. :lol:

NextJen

Raisin cane
I really like Michelin's. They are a good, solid tire and wear very well. I was curious about their pricing for your car and found this website below. I used a St. Mary's zip code (but it showed the same price as when I used a Calvert zip code). The price for their Premier All Season is not that bad. I guess it depends on the place you are getting them from with their markup, and installation and other taxes/fees.

https://www.michelinman.com/find?se...yre=552481&carDimension=1505960&zipCode=20686

Also, if you are a member of Sam's Club, you can get tires done pretty cheap there. Here is their Waldorf site:
https://www.samsclub.com/sams/searc...16&tireSearchTerm=P205/65R16&_requestid=70058

Good luck!

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
I have had good performance with the Toyo's I put on my 1995 Saturn

Toyo Extensa A/S either a 195 stock or 205 [for my car]

65k warranty

not that you are going to drive to Silver Spring
- but Radial Tire always too good care of me, my wife has used them since the mid 90s

No, I have a very short commute distance-wise but am planning on some distance traveling soon. I will look at those, too. Thanks!

glhs837

Power with Control
General, Hankook, and Cooper are all good discount tires. I ran three sets of the Generals on the SRT where I hammered them pretty hard and they both held the road well, and lasted pretty well too. I have set on them on the beater 2001 BMW and they are long lasting and handle winter fine. I ran two sets of Hankooks on the Charger also and like them too. ( Charger had 175K when I sold it and up until the Generals, went through a set ever 20K :))

A few points to remember. Long life is bought with traction. So while a 70,0000 treadwear sounds great, that means the compound is harder and there for has a bit less grip. Same for tires touting fuel savings, that sort of tire by design has less traction. You dont need the pencil erasers I usually put on the Charger, but Big Wheel class tires (long wearing or fuel saving) are a compromise in the other direction, so be aware of that.

About the sensors, how do you know they are bad? Maybe just a reset needed?

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
General, Hankook, and Cooper are all good discount tires. I ran three sets of the Generals on the SRT where I hammered them pretty hard and they both held the road well, and lasted pretty well too. I have set on them on the beater 2001 BMW and they are long lasting and handle winter fine. I ran two sets of Hankooks on the Charger also and like them too. ( Charger had 175K when I sold it and up until the Generals, went through a set ever 20K :))

A few points to remember. Long life is bought with traction. So while a 70,0000 treadwear sounds great, that means the compound is harder and there for has a bit less grip. Same for tires touting fuel savings, that sort of tire by design has less traction. You dont need the pencil erasers I usually put on the Charger, but Big Wheel class tires (long wearing or fuel saving) are a compromise in the other direction, so be aware of that.

Good info. Thanks! :yay:

About the sensors, how do you know they are bad? Maybe just a reset needed?

The low pressure tire light is on and won't go off. I had a flat tire over the summer and when Southern Tire repaired it, they checked the sensors on all 4 tires and said two were bad. I didn't have the money then to have them fixed so I figured while I'm getting new tires I will get them fixed too.

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
I really like Michelin's. They are a good, solid tire and wear very well. I was curious about their pricing for your car and found this website below. I used a St. Mary's zip code (but it showed the same price as when I used a Calvert zip code). The price for their Premier All Season is not that bad. I guess it depends on the place you are getting them from with their markup, and installation and other taxes/fees.

https://www.michelinman.com/find?se...yre=552481&carDimension=1505960&zipCode=20686

Also, if you are a member of Sam's Club, you can get tires done pretty cheap there. Here is their Waldorf site:
https://www.samsclub.com/sams/searc...16&tireSearchTerm=P205/65R16&_requestid=70058

Good luck!

Thanks. I love Michelins also and am trying to fight my love of them with my pocketbook which says no way. :nomoney:

I am not a member of Sam's Club anymore plus I live in Solomons and work in the California area, so I am trying to stay as local as possible.

black dog

Free America
Beware of buying Club Tires, many times they are made just for the clubs to sell and they don't hold the same specs as the tires that are not sold at clubs like BJ's, Sam's, Costco and the like..
I also would suggest that you buy the Michelin's.. You can easily order them online and have them mounted and balanced locally, like at Tire Barn, I believe they have evening hours.

Chris0nllyn

I like Mr. Tire. The price online is "on the rim and out the door" which differs from some places that show a super cheap tire online, then charge another $100+ to mount and balance them.

For the TPMS sensors, go to RockAuto.com and buy 4 of them. I just replaced mine on my Tahoe for $120 and Mr. Tire "programmed" them for another $15 when I had the tires replaced.

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
Beware of buying Club Tires, many times they are made just for the clubs to sell and they don't hold the same specs as the tires that are not sold at clubs like BJ's, Sam's, Costco and the like..
I also would suggest that you buy the Michelin's.. You can easily order them online and have them mounted and balanced locally, like at Tire Barn, I believe they have evening hours.

I learned that with tires from BJ's. They definitely weren't the same and I had to go back several times because they didn't mount them properly, which crimped the valve stem and caused slow leaks.

I am going to crunch the numbers, evaluate my options, and see if Michelins are doable.

Agee

When I clicked your link the site quoted a price of "$176.46/tire. When I did a search on the site for your vehicle, I got $76.46... ?

The Firestone and Bridgestone are good tire values :yay:

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
When I clicked your link the site quoted a price of "$176.46/tire. When I did a search on the site for your vehicle, I got $76.46... ?

The Firestone and Bridgestone are good tire values :yay:

It did the same thing when I clicked on it, then refreshed to say $76.49. It may have something to do with putting in the store where you are going to purchase them, which I had already. :shrug:

I think I am going to go with these. I clicked the 'calculate out-of-door price' and the total is $403.89:

tire quote.PNG

Thanks. :kiss:

Agee

It did the same thing when I clicked on it, then refreshed to say $76.49. It may have something to do with putting in the store where you are going to purchase them, which I had already. :shrug:

I think I am going to go with these. I clicked the 'calculate out-of-door price' and the total is $403.89:

View attachment 120245

Thanks. :kiss:

YW!

The Lifetime tire rotation is a nice benefit and the "free Tire/Wheel Alignment Check". The operative word is check, if its out, then additional costs may incur? You may also consider the road hazard coverage, I learned the hard way on this one. The industry has cracked-down on using plugs for tire repair, patches only, and if the puncture is to close to the out edge of the tire, the tire will have to be replaced.

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
YW!

The Lifetime tire rotation is a nice benefit and the "free Tire/Wheel Alignment Check". The operative word is check, if its out, then additional costs may incur?

I am sure $$$ will be involved. :lol:

You may also consider the road hazard coverage, I learned the hard way on this one. The industry has cracked-down on using plugs for tire repair, patches only, and if the puncture is to close to the out edge of the tire, the tire will have to be replaced.

Yes, I could have used that for my flat this summer. God bless my former coworker for putting on the baby spare in the pouring rain. When I got to Southern Tire, they showed me a nice 3 or 4 inch long piece of metal they took out from my tire. I will check with them when I get the tires, hopefully tomorrow. I am leery of going far with the patch, wear, and dry rot of the tires.

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
I would get a second opinion on the sensors. Some need a simple reset.

Thanks. I wasn't sure if they were trying to up sell me something or not. I didn't bite.

I have an appointment at 1 tomorrow for the tires. Don't think I will mention anything about the sensors and see what they say.

Last edited:

glhs837

Power with Control
Some systems, the sensors are positional, and if they end up in the wrong place and trip a code. In such cases, a reset can fix it.