"Bigotry seems emboldened"

transporter

Guess they didn't report this on dailywire , Breitbart or Red state?

America is not immune from these trends. In recent decades, public confidence in our institutions has declined. Our governing class has often been paralyzed in the face of obvious and pressing needs. The American dream of upward mobility seems out of reach for some who feel left behind in a changing economy. Discontent deepened and sharpened partisan conflicts. Bigotry seems emboldened. Our politics seems more vulnerable to conspiracy theories and outright fabrication.

We’ve seen nationalism distorted into nativism – forgotten the dynamism that immigration has always brought to America. We see a fading confidence in the value of free markets and international trade – forgetting that conflict, instability, and poverty follow in the wake of protectionism.

We have seen the return of isolationist sentiments – forgetting that American security is directly threatened by the chaos and despair of distant places, where threats such as terrorism, infectious disease, criminal gangs and drug trafficking tend to emerge.

In all these ways, we need to recall and recover our own identity. Americans have a great advantage: To renew our country, we only need to remember our values.

Our identity as a nation – unlike many other nations – is not determined by geography or ethnicity, by soil or blood. Being an American involves the embrace of high ideals and civic responsibility. We become the heirs of Thomas Jefferson by accepting the ideal of human dignity found in the Declaration of Independence. We become the heirs of James Madison by understanding the genius and values of the U.S. Constitution. We become the heirs of Martin Luther King, Jr., by recognizing one another not by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character.

This means that people of every race, religion, and ethnicity can be fully and equally American. It means that bigotry or white supremacy in any form is blasphemy against the American creed.

And it means that the very identity of our nation depends on the passing of civic ideals to the next generation.

We need a renewed emphasis on civic learning in schools. And our young people need positive role models. Bullying and prejudice in our public life sets a national tone, provides permission for cruelty and bigotry, and compromises the moral education of children. The only way to pass along civic values is to first live up to them.

The portions quoted above are not the comments of some far left freak. They are from the last actual Republican President of the United States. He points out how wrong headed Trump and his blind followers are. Go ahead read the whole thing...those of you who actually still are Americans and can still read English.

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/10/19/full-text-george-w-bush-speech-trump-243947

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
The portions quoted above are not the comments of some far left freak. They are from the last actual Republican President of the United States.

Wait for it...

Anyway, do you remember when Bush was you all's mortal enemy, and in fact Nancy Pelosi called him "the enemy"? So now that he's busting on your new mortal enemy, he's a great guy? Is that how it works?

And since when is nationalism a bad thing? You progs know what "nationalism" means, right? Or are you going to just take George Bush and John McCain's word for it that it's bad?

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
Americans don't have an issue with people who immigrated legally. Bigotry comes in many different shades.

Sapidus

Wait for it...

Anyway, do you remember when Bush was you all's mortal enemy, and in fact Nancy Pelosi called him "the enemy"? So now that he's busting on your new mortal enemy, he's a great guy? Is that how it works?

And since when is nationalism a bad thing? You progs know what "nationalism" means, right? Or are you going to just take George Bush and John McCain's word for it that it's bad?

Are you serious.? You just read that speech but failed to understand it
That was the exact point of the Quote “ nationalism has turned to nativism”. Nationalism is great. The problem is when it comes at the expense and exclusion of anyone not deemed a national or any behavior not deemed nationalism. IE white people claiming to be more American then other people. People silently protested deemed to be not showing proper respect to the flag.

You are not the arbitor of what is and is not acceptable “American” behavior

Sapidus

This is what a president sounds like. As much as I hated some of his decisions and behavior and the narrative that he was a moronic puppet of Cheney he has a much better grasp on the issues facing our country then Trump

I think the fact that the last four presidents have condemned Trumps behavior should speak pretty loudly of the damage he is doing to our country

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
This is what a president sounds like. As much as I hated some of his decisions and behavior and the narrative that he was a moronic puppet of Cheney he has a much better grasp on the issues facing our country then Trump

I think the fact that the last four presidents have condemned Trumps behavior should speak pretty loudly of the damage he is doing to our country

My my, how things change.

Hijinx

Are you serious.? You just read that speech but failed to understand it
That was the exact point of the Quote “ nationalism has turned to nativism”. Nationalism is great. The problem is when it comes at the expense and exclusion of anyone not deemed a national or any behavior not deemed nationalism. IE white people claiming to be more American then other people. People silently protested deemed to be not showing proper respect to the flag.

You are not the arbitor of what is and is not acceptable “American” behavior

I read it and thought George Bush was full of shiit.

Hijinx

The last 3 Presidents ,Clinton, Bush and Obama. Larry ,Moe and Curly.

littlelady

God bless the USA
I wondered when he became a Democrat.

To my knowledge, GWBush never spoke out criticizing Obama. I don't think he is a Dem, but another example of the crony swamp that Trump is trying to drain. Also, Bush just betrayed all the Americans that voted him into office; twice.

Just glad Jeb didn't make the cut.

Yes, another Bush was, obviously, not a good idea.

kom526

They call me ... Sarcasmo
You could apply parts of this speech to both Obama and Trump. :shrug: SHS said to day that Trump was not offended by this speech but it isn't 3 am on twitter yet. IMO this speech was given and the media heard the words bigotry and nationalism and immediately screamed "TRUUUMP" (Think Capt Kirk in Star Trek II) and evrybody is lapping it up because the media said to lap it up.

Last edited:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
To my knowledge, GWBush never spoke out criticizing Obama.

I don't recall him doing that, either. In fact, my recollection is that he was content to be a former president, until they dusted him off to campaign for Hillary Clinton.

littlelady

God bless the USA
I don't recall him doing that, either. In fact, my recollection is that he was content to be a former president, until they dusted him off to campaign for Hillary Clinton.

I do want to say one more thing. George H W Bush should not be included in this category, or whatever it is that people are talking about. It is my thought that they saw their dad become prez, and were wealthy, famous brats, and went for the presidency, too.
Their dad was a great prez, but they chose to muck it up.

I, also, have to say that GW Bush was a weak prez; just like Obama.

Also, why is GWBush speaking out now? Is he afraid something will come out that he was hiding?

Bottom line is that Trump has started a fire storm; whether it be the media, Congress, citizens, former prezes, Hollywood, activists, illegals, etc. There is something to that. Why would there be so much animosity towards Trump, if there wasn't a reason? Bilderberg, anyone?

http://americanfreepress.net/what-is-bilderberg/

It is a long article, but look at the end, and the date it was written. Interesting.

Last edited:

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member

The portions quoted above are not the comments of some far left freak. They are from the last actual Republican President of the United States. He points out how wrong headed Trump and his blind followers are. Go ahead read the whole thing...those of you who actually still are Americans and can still read English.

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/10/19/full-text-george-w-bush-speech-trump-243947

Who but slugs like yourself would ever get their information from sites like those?

And would have guessed you'd ever come around to being G W Bush fan?? Wow.

;-)

Hijinx

I always liked Bush, I always thought that he was the subject of unwarranted accusations and attacks by the liberal Democrats.
I don't know why he comes out to attack Trump, I can only blame it on bitterness about his brother Jeb getting his ass kicked.
I gave him credit for being a better man.

I was wrong. Too bad, it hurts to see someone you had respect for turn into a bitter part of the political fraternity that so needs to condemn anyone elected by the public in spite of their money and political power and need to control the populace.

SamSpade

Of course I read it. Probably before you. What's the point?

The portions quoted above are not the comments of some far left freak. They are from the last actual Republican President of the United States.

And all I heard for eight years was that he was the stupidest man alive, let alone one that was President.
His grades from college were published widely, even though they actually compared favorably to one of his opponents, the "brilliant" John Kerry.
Every utterance from his mouth was openly ridiculed, and there were websites dedicated to making fun of his verbal blunders.
There STILL are.

THEN - we got ANOTHER eight years of an administration that could not get through a single day without attributing every failure of theirs - to this man.
How his mishandling of virtually everything in life caused eight more years of economic malaise and international turmoil.
They even joked about calling that new geologic area in Virginia "George Bush's fault".

Now, suddenly he's a brilliant statesman.

How typically left-wing.

He points out how wrong headed Trump and his blind followers are.

Oddly enough - what I see is a general criticism of the entire nation - including people who call half of it a "basket of deplorables" and irredeemable.

Go ahead read the whole thing...those of you who actually still are Americans and can still read English.

Who is that meant for? I'm not going to stop being American or suddenly not know English - unless you were making a snide remark against immigrants -
and displaying the very nativism you so much wish to criticize.