Greetings from Mount Pleasant, SC!

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
It's amazing how different two campground environments can be. Ocean Lakes in Myrtle Beach is lively and energetic, with people zipping around on golf carts, packs of kids running around, lots of activity and noise. Here at the MP KOA it's way more calm and peaceful. There are kids here, but they're going fishing in the pond and doing more camping type things. It's a smaller campground, so almost nobody except the workers has golf carts. The campground is fairly full, but it feels empty because it's so quiet and peaceful.

Our site is right between the lake and the bath house. :yahoo: It rained like a mo yesterday evening and overnight, which made me sleep like the dead. Yesterday after we set up, we went to the grocery store, then came home and grilled steaks, kielbasa, and fresh corn, and ate outside on the picnic table.

Everybody asks us what it's like living on vacation - first of all, I'm not on vacation. I haven't had a vacation in 22 years - I work every single day. We eat like we're on vacation, which is how I gained all this weight :mad: I figure I can always lose weight, though, but I can't always have Nashville hot chicken or AYCE seafood buffet, so we indulge ourselves. We don't drink like vacation campers, as in we're not always sitting around with a beer in hand. When friends go camping, the first thing they do after they park is pop open a beer - we don't do that. Our weekends don't really mean anything to us and this isn't a special occasion for us, so we just drink like normal people. We load our cooler with sodas and iced tea, and only very occasionally pick up a six-pack.

Being back at a campground we've stayed at previously is like visiting an old friend. We spent six weeks here last winter, so we're very familiar with the campground and the area; we don't need the GPS to get around because we know where everything is. While we love new places and new experiences, we also love to revisit places we've enjoyed in the past and it's nice to be able to do that instead of having the stress of figuring out where we're going to spend our two-weeks vacation because that's all we get for traveling each year.

The very first thing I did upon arrival was go to the Boone Hall Farms Market and get some southern pecan coffee. I've been thinking about that coffee since last January when we left here. It's a super cool grocery store, with most of the produce and meat grown/raised across the way at Boone Hall Farm. I'm not sure if they roast the beans themselves, but there's not a whole lot better than fresh ground coffee.

We finally have our camp setup the way I like it, with what we need and not a bunch of clutter and crap we don't even use hanging around outside to make us look like hilllbillies. Clutter makes me depressed, so it's just best if we keep things streamlined and tidy. When we were in Solomons our site was so crapped up I almost jumped off the bridge. That's the only real conflict that Monello and I have, and it's not even all that - not like we fight about it or anything: he likes stuff; I do not. He likes a full refrigerator; I like to shop as I need something. He keeps dress clothes and coats around "just in case"; I figure in the unlikely event I need a dress or heavy coat, Goodwill is usually close by. But he's getting better and our load has decreased a good bit. He spent much of our time in Solomons clearing out stuff he hasn't even seen in a year and taking it to storage or Vintage Values.

At our next stop in Jacksonville our home is going in the shop for two weeks, so we'll be staying at a beach condo in St. Augustine that I got a deal on.

Last edited:

HeavyChevy75

Podunk FL
Mt. Pleasant is a very nice area. When I lived in Charleston I looked at apartments in Mt. P and almost died at the rent prices. They make southern MD look cheap.

The Goodwills around Mt P are nice though.

BadGirl

I am so very blessed
I'm so envious of you and your travels, but especially when you are where I like to call my "Second Home"; I LOVE Mount Pleasant.

So, in an effort to live vicariously through you, please go and have a wonderful meal of Shrimp and Grits at Page's Okra Grill, and drown in one of their monster Bloody Mary's. And since you're down that way, be sure to hang out with our mutual friend, Ms ST, and tell her I said "Hi!".

Have a wonderful time. I miss you.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I'm so envious of you and your travels, but especially when you are where I like to call my "Second Home"; I LOVE Mount Pleasant.

So, in an effort to live vicariously through you, please go and have a wonderful meal of Shrimp and Grits at Page's Okra Grill, and drown in one of their monster Bloody Mary's. And since you're down that way, be sure to hang out with our mutual friend, Ms ST, and tell her I said "Hi!".

I miss you too :huggy: and I will hug ST's neck for you!

BadGirl

I am so very blessed