An honest world

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
That's what I want. I want a world where those who hold our public trust are honest and upfront. I'm tired of being lied to and manipulated by the media, by our politicians, by doctors, by clergymen. You can't even search the internet for answers anymore because Google only coughs up their advertisers and irrelevant pages that fit their social agenda, and none of the rest of them are any better.

I want a doctor who won't prescribe medication I don't need because he's getting a kickback from the pharm company.

I want a press that reports the news, not their personal spin on the news.

I want our politicians to actually have our best interests at heart, not just their own power and greed.

Religious people are supposed to be our moral authority, then they go and protect their gang members who prey on children.

Scammers on the internet, the barrage of people trying to sell you something you don't need, the spin, the lies, freaking celebrities who are paid to "swear by" a product they don't even use.

It just seems like everything is a lie and I'm really tired of it.

Freefaller

That's what I want. I want a world where those who hold our public trust are honest and upfront. I'm tired of being lied to and manipulated by the media, by our politicians, by doctors, by clergymen. You can't even search the internet for answers anymore because Google only coughs up their advertisers and irrelevant pages that fit their social agenda, and none of the rest of them are any better.

I want a doctor who won't prescribe medication I don't need because he's getting a kickback from the pharm company.

I want our politicians to actually have our best interests at heart, not just their own power and greed.

Religious people are supposed to be our moral authority, then they go and protect their gang members who prey on children.

Scammers on the internet, the barrage of people trying to sell you something you don't need, the spin, the lies, freaking celebrities who are paid to "swear by" a product they don't even use.

Wow, me too!

Hijinx

It's a good point.
But it is what it is.

Why do lawyers who study the law for years leave their chosen field to get into politics?
Or like Steny Hoyer, was politics their goal from the start?

Be nice if the press just reported the news instead of making it in the shape they prefer.

Religion- now there is a coat of many colors.

There will always be scammers. One must protect themselves by educating themselves on what they need and the value of what they get.

There was an old joke as a man walks by the graveyard he spots a tombstone.
It says here lies a politician and an honest man.
The man says Damn. They are burying two people in the same grave now.

It's an old joke, but it sure is true.

Sapidus

It is sad that this is the state of the world we live in.

Today on the radio I heard an ad for a " fat burner pill featuring a new technology called thermo vigilance" at the end they said " if you experience too much fat loss please stop using this product"

First I felt badly for anyone desperate enough to purchase this product. Second i was angry that the radio station would be so greedy and care so little for their listeners that they would allow an obvious scam on the air.

Unfortunately everything comes down to profit. You have to be an educated consumer of information, products, medicine. It takes a lot of time and effort to fully understand everything that is being advertised, shilled or aimed at us these days.

Another case in point and i am sure this will be controversial since it involves Hillary.

Anyone who grocery shops will notice the magazines in the checkout line during the election had "Hillary has two weeks to live" Hillary hiding Parkinsons" While most people roll their eyes when they see those magazines there are millions of people out there that take those magazine at their word and were or are influenced by them even if they don't buy them and just scan the headlines.

I've learned to read articles by only focusing on the quotes and statistics and ignoring the editorializing. If I read a few sources that all have the same quotes and statistics I try to track back to the original source and make my conclusion based on that information only.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Second i was angry that the radio station would be so greedy and care so little for their listeners that they would allow an obvious scam on the air.

I always say that if people are going to be stupid, someone should be able to make money off them, but it still pisses me off. Predatory practices and clearly false claims are bull####. I hate infomercials, too. We get these crazy blatantly fake crap ads in our GoogleAds feed sometimes and I always report them. Hate.

Anyone who grocery shops will notice the magazines in the checkout line during the election had "Hillary has two weeks to live" Hillary hiding Parkinsons" While most people roll their eyes when they see those magazines there are millions of people out there that take those magazine at their word and were or are influenced by them even if they don't buy them and just scan the headlines.

Those tabs should be clearly labeled entertainment and satire, because you're right - people read those crazy headlines and do think it's true.

My concern is more with entities that we're supposed to trust: our government, religious leaders, doctors, lawyers, the press, etc. We live in a world of false information.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
One must protect themselves by educating themselves on what they need and the value of what they get.

But how are you supposed to know what's real and what's fake? This is not just politics, it's pretty much everything in our lives that we can't trust.

terbear1225

It is sad that this is the state of the world we live in.

Today on the radio I heard an ad for a " fat burner pill featuring a new technology called thermo vigilance" at the end they said " if you experience too much fat loss please stop using this product"

First I felt badly for anyone desperate enough to purchase this product. Second i was angry that the radio station would be so greedy and care so little for their listeners that they would allow an obvious scam on the air.

Unfortunately we are all desperate for something; love, health, financial security, etc. There are few that are 100% happy with their lives as they are and the less scrupulous of the world are more than happy to feed off that desperation.

Sapidus

I always say that if people are going to be stupid, someone should be able to make money off them, but it still pisses me off. Predatory practices and clearly false claims are bull####. I hate infomercials, too. We get these crazy blatantly fake crap ads in our GoogleAds feed sometimes and I always report them. Hate.

Those tabs should be clearly labeled entertainment and satire, because you're right - people read those crazy headlines and do think it's true.

My concern is more with entities that we're supposed to trust: our government, religious leaders, doctors, lawyers, the press, etc. We live in a world of false information.

I agree. Unfortunately with the Citizens united decision I think things have gotten even murkier. Have you looked at https://www.opensecrets.org. ? It's a good place to start at least in terms of political donors. Though all the names make it sound like they are superheroes instead of Pacs and then you can't tell who is being them.

This breaks it down by interest group , https://www.opensecrets.org/industries/mems.php Interesting to see Paul Ryan got $6 million from the insurance companies. ( he is the leader in a few categories. He is really cleaning up)

We really have to get special interests and big money donors out of politics. It's disgusting to see the way they manipulate our politicians into doing their bidding

As to the rest I really don't know how you make people do the right thing and be honest with their fellow man.

Let's look at this article together.

It is about Nancy Beck the Trump appointee who is now headed up the EPA Toxic chemical unit

She used to work for the American Chemical Association.

Now she wants to make it harder to track and regulate it.

"The chemical, perfluorooctanoic acid, or PFOA, has been linked to kidney cancer, birth defects, immune system disorders and other serious health problems.

So scientists and administrators in the E.P.A.’s Office of Water were alarmed in late May when a top Trump administration appointee insisted upon the rewriting of a rule to make it harder to track the health consequences of the chemical, and therefore regulate it.

The revision was among more than a dozen demanded by the appointee, Nancy B. Beck, after she joined the E.P.A.’s toxic chemical unit in May as a top deputy. For the previous five years, she had been an executive at the American Chemistry Council, the chemical industry’s main trade association."

From the tone of the article and her future job I am immediately suspicious of her and assume she is doing it for her former bosses. But why do i think that? I guess mostly from the tone of the article. She could have so much experience with the chemical that she knows better than i do that it really isn't harmful unless you eat buckets full of it.

They then ask the spokesperson for a quote and it turns out they used to work for the American Chemical Council. ( so should i be suspicious they worked their or consider them to be an expert?)

I think this is the major issue. I don't know about chemicals and I am trusting this source to inform me but then I have to question the intentions of the newspaper, the intentions of the person the article is about and figure out if they are spinning the truth or telling the truth. And this is for one minor issue involving chemicals.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/10/21/us/trump-epa-chemicals-regulations.html

We have to now do this dozens of times a day and it is so convoluted impossible to say who is right and wrong or where the truth is

Sapidus

Unfortunately we are all desperate for something; love, health, financial security, etc. There are few that are 100% happy with their lives as they are and the less scrupulous of the world are more than happy to feed off that desperation.

True. When i was taking care of my grandparents at the end of their lives the amount of scam phone calls and letters they received was outrageous. Thank god they didn't have email

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
From the tone of the article and her future job I am immediately suspicious of her
Who better to tell you how to safeguard your home than a burglar?

Trump talks about overhauling tax credits, etc, and he is in an excellent position to know exactly what needs attention. I understand your skepticism because if Hillary Clinton said, "You know what? I want my next career to be a watchdog for charitable foundations," I would guffaw. But...she oughta know, right?

However, then you have to wonder if these people are just trying to make it easier to run their own scam, so I get it.

But you made a good point that so many of these "studies" that shape our thinking and behavior are paid for by folks with skin in the game. Not only that, but you have to be a freaking investigative reporter with unlimited access and resources to bust them out and find the root patron. Our press is supposed to be doing this for us, but they've proven that they cannot be trusted either.

Sapidus

Who better to tell you how to safeguard your home than a burglar?

Trump talks about overhauling tax credits, etc, and he is in an excellent position to know exactly what needs attention. I understand your skepticism because if Hillary Clinton said, "You know what? I want my next career to be a watchdog for charitable foundations," I would guffaw. But...she oughta know, right?

However, then you have to wonder if these people are just trying to make it easier to run their own scam, so I get it.

But you made a good point that so many of these "studies" that shape our thinking and behavior are paid for by folks with skin in the game. Not only that, but you have to be a freaking investigative reporter with unlimited access and resources to bust them out and find the root patron. Our press is supposed to be doing this for us, but they've proven that they cannot be trusted either.

Absolutely. You would need to do it full time to actually root out who is behind al of these things. and that's not in a crazy conspiracy theory way. That''s just the sad truth of the world we live in. What is sadder is the people on both sides take there chosen media as gospel and don't question it.

I just don't know how to change things because it seems we are getting more and more divided and that is what the "powers at be wants they can target us more directly and have blind devotion without an neutral parties questioning them

Hijinx

Some Snake Oil customers never learn.

They've kept the Democratic party going for decades.

I was watching TV last night I think it was the History channel. I like to watch the guys making knives and swords.
They kept playing this commercial for a copper stretch belt that would take away all the pain magically.
They had knees braces, and socks, and probably even jock straps and G strings made with this magic copper inlaid material.
Probably spent a fortune advertising this stuff.
Hard to believe people buy stuff like that.

Last edited: