Glyphosate Politics

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
As this calamity unfolds across the Atlantic, the credibility of the scientific report central to the glyphosate-ban crusade is rapidly disintegrating and Congress is continuing to investigate how the report was handled. In March 2015, the International Agency for Research on Cancer (IARC) issued a report concluding glyphosate is a probable human carcinogen. IARC, under the purview of the World Health Organization, is the only major scientific organization to make that claim and has since been heavily criticized by other international scientific groups and governmental agencies.

Members of the IARC committee who worked on the report have been exposed as environmental activists who cherry-picked questionable data to reach a politically motivated conclusion. Congress is also reviewing federal funding for IARC and investigating whether likeminded officials in Obama’s Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) colluded with IARC members to help draft the dubious report.

Despite its weak scientific mooring and shady authorship, the report has been widely embraced by the media and cited by activists as the reason glyphosate use should be stopped. (This summer, California added glyphosate to its Prop 65 list of possible carcinogens that must be labeled.) It is also an evidentiary bonanza for law firms now trolling for litigants to sue Monsanto and exploit cancer-stricken farmers and their families who now believe glyphosate is responsible for causing the disease.

If The European Union Bans Roundup, It Could Lead To A Global Food Crisis
If the EU bans glyphosate, it will set the stage to enact the same regulations here, which could be a devastating blow to American farmers who grow the world’s most abundant supply of grains.

Clem72

I thought this was pretty well settled. Roundup may or may not be harmful to humans (wash your produce and you're fine), but is harmful to insects (no shet Sherlock). I have seen lots of articles and studies that show pollinating bugs in particular are confused by the chemical and end up getting lost and dying of exhaustion before they get back to their colony.

In fact, I think I saw something recent that showed that we have lost somewhere around 75% of the total amount of insects that we had a couple of decades ago. With most inhabited areas dropping 80-90%, where untouched wilderness/protected areas saw modest increases (10-20%). They linked it to glyphosate, but that likely just a guess based on when/where roundup became the predominant product.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
I thought this was pretty well settled. Roundup may or may not be harmful to humans (wash your produce and you're fine), but is harmful to insects (no shet Sherlock). I have seen lots of articles and studies that show pollinating bugs in particular are confused by the chemical and end up getting lost and dying of exhaustion before they get back to their colony.

yes its settled Envir's want it banned