Make America Great Again

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Why is it that progs associate American greatness with lynchings, Jim Crow, and slavery? I've never ever heard a Trump supporter or conservative or even a Republican make that association, or even hint that that was when America was "great". So why are all the progs insisting that it is?

awpitt

Main Streeter
Why is it that progs associate American greatness with lynchings, Jim Crow, and slavery? I've never ever heard a Trump supporter or conservative or even a Republican make that association, or even hint that that was when America was "great". So why are all the progs insisting that it is?

What progs are doing that?

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
What progs are doing that?

Um, all of them? Watch the news - not only the crazies who are guests, but the reporters and hosts themselves.

Are you trying to tell me that you've never heard "make America great again" associated with slavery and black subjugation?

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
So why are all the progs insisting that it is?

I am sure someone, somewhere made an analogy to the 1950s [ A Racist, or White Nationalist, or Christian or all 3 together]
and how Great America was between Korea and Vietnam probably flashing up a picture of 'Father Knows Best' or 'Leave It To Beaver'

and to insult that person or thought because ya know anytime but NOW when progressives wield lots of power
- Progressives immediately jump to;

.... Jim Crow, women at home in the kitchen .... misogyny, patriarchy ... racism

stgislander

PREMO Member

That was Larry's usual response. "Oh, you think things were better in the '50s. So you think Jim Crow laws were a good thing?"

SamSpade

I remember when someone would have a campaign to "take America back" or some such, the same kind of issues get raised. And the complaint goes something like oh you want us to go back to say, the 50's when America was wholesome, prosperous - and *RACIST*?

And I answer oh, EVERY time people say, let's go back, we ALWAYS mean, let's go back *IN TIME*.

Because for some people, going back or returning to or resetting the clock always means, returning to a time when stuff was WORSE.
I don't know where this idea comes from, because to hear the same people - it's never actually gotten BETTER. It still sucks big time.

Of course it doesn't mean, restore every stupid assed thing that has ever existed. It doesn't mean let's go back to mullets or bell bottoms or beatniks or zoot suits.
It means restoring the kinds of things we all cherish - families that actually stay together, companies that reward people who've given their career to them, neighborhoods where neighbors actually know each other, and streets where kids can play without being beaten by gangs or shot at by drug dealers. A time when Americans were actually liked abroad and we had respect, where Made in the USA used to mean very well made (I remember - as Doc Brown observed in 'Back to the Future' - a time when Made in Japan meant it was cheap crap). All across the board stuff. Like parents who didn't get into fights with other parents over their kids' soccer games.

These kinds of things.

I don't know what people who bristle at this must have in mind. They must think that - since all white people are racist - a better time would always point to an era when stuff was worse, for them.

As every nation that has dominated the world culturally or economically - there is a time of ascendancy - and a time of decline. I think there's little doubt that America is in a time of decline.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Or two parent homes, knowing right from wrong, criminal behavior actually punished...

Which benefits Americans of all racial backgrounds.

I'm just curious why progs think slavery and Jim Crow was so great.

Sapidus

I think that speaks volumes about you that you don't make that association with the phrase.

However insisting progressives are claiming lynchings, Jim crow and slavery is a veiled attempt to reframe the discussion straight out of a brain washing manual.

However that is the genius of the phrase " Make America great again" It doesn't mean anything specific but everyone who hears it will associate it with what they believe to be the best time in America's history.

There are many racists out there who do hear it as a dog whistle and assume it means a time when white men were in charge and they want to go back to that. Which is why the White nationalist movement feels emboldened.

There are other who hear it and assume it was the 50's or 80's or whatever their heyday was.

There are many black people who hear it and assume it is racist because if you look back on our countries history there really hasn't been a great time to be a black person in this country

PsyOps

Pixelated
There are many racists out there who do hear it as a dog whistle and assume it means a time when white men were in charge and they want to go back to that.

And you believe these are the people Trump are specifically talking to? You really believe Trump started using that phrase with racists in mind? You do realize that Reagan also used this phrase? Was Reagan appealing to the white racists of this country?

[video=youtube;FjkX_IBYQHw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FjkX_IBYQHw[/video]

awpitt

Main Streeter
Um, all of them? Watch the news - not only the crazies who are guests, but the reporters and hosts themselves.

Are you trying to tell me that you've never heard "make America great again" associated with slavery and black subjugation?

I can't say that I heard "make America great again" associated with slavery and black subjugation. I mean I've heard plenty of remarks regarding rasism, white supremacy, etc but not being tied directly to the phrase "make America great again".

Sapidus

And you believe these are the people Trump are specifically talking to? You really believe Trump started using that phrase with racists in mind? You do realize that Reagan also used this phrase? Was Reagan appealing to the white racists of this country?

[video=youtube;FjkX_IBYQHw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FjkX_IBYQHw[/video]

Yes. Do you know how many focus groups and workshops they had to come up with that as campaign motto? They would never admit it of course and it resonated with many types of people but for a racist or even someone scared of the social changes happening in the US it was a coded message that we were going back to " a better time"

If you heard Trumps speech at the Value voters Summit it was pretty cleathat "make America great again " worked to pander to those types of voters

. "How times have changed, but you know what? Now they’re changing back again. Just remember that.” - Donald Trump

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
However that is the genius of the phrase " Make America great again" It doesn't mean anything specific but everyone who hears it will associate it with what they believe to be the best time in America's history.

Right. So why do you think slavery and racism and lynching were so great?

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
There are many racists out there who do hear it as a dog whistle and assume it means a time when white men were in charge and they want to go back to that.

So now dogs are racist? Why are you whistling at dogs, anyway?

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I can't say that I heard "make America great again" associated with slavery and black subjugation. I mean I've heard plenty of remarks regarding rasism, white supremacy, etc but not being tied directly to the phrase "make America great again".

Then you shouldn't be allowed to vote since you are completely cocooned from what's going on in the world. It has literally been all over the place, and not only a staple of liberal "news" shows, but the conservative shows that give them publicity. Not to mention celebrities having a #### fit all over the place, AND it making regular appearances in every social media feed available.

There's no possible way for you to have missed it, unless you simply don't watch or read or listen to anything regarding this country we live in. And if that is the case, the only responsible thing for you to do is relinquish your voting rights.

Sapidus

So now dogs are racist? Why are you whistling at dogs, anyway?

"Dog-whistle politics is political messaging employing coded language that appears to mean one thing to the general population but has an additional, different or more specific resonance for a targeted subgroup. The phrase is often used as a pejorative because of the inherently deceptive nature of the practice and because the dog-whistle messages are frequently distasteful to the general populace. The analogy is to a dog whistle, whose high-frequency whistle is heard by dogs but inaudible to humans."