Joshua 13 More to do

seekeroftruth

Joshua 13:1 When Joshua had grown old, the Lord said to him, “You are now very old, and there are still very large areas of land to be taken over.

2 “This is the land that remains: all the regions of the Philistines and Geshurites, 3 from the Shihor River on the east of Egypt to the territory of Ekron on the north, all of it counted as Canaanite though held by the five Philistine rulers in Gaza, Ashdod, Ashkelon, Gath and Ekron; the territory of the Avvites 4 on the south; all the land of the Canaanites, from Arah of the Sidonians as far as Aphek and the border of the Amorites; 5 the area of Byblos; and all Lebanon to the east, from Baal Gad below Mount Hermon to Lebo Hamath.

6 “As for all the inhabitants of the mountain regions from Lebanon to Misrephoth Maim, that is, all the Sidonians, I myself will drive them out before the Israelites. Be sure to allocate this land to Israel for an inheritance, as I have instructed you, 7 and divide it as an inheritance among the nine tribes and half of the tribe of Manasseh.”​

Ever had one of those days when you are just plum tuckered out? My greatgrandfather was 96 and he had just finish plowing "that big field". When he came in the house on Christmas Eve, he said he was quite ready to eat. [My greatgrandmother was a fabulous cook they say] He said he just wanted to sit in his easy chair and rest a little bit. He had grown old and he had done everything he set out to do. He built that house they were in from an old smoke house. He had cleared the land and brought in the crops for decades. Tonight he was really tired. He flopped down in that chair.... laid his head back and said "aaahhh". His eyes closed, a smile came over his mouth.... and he passed away.

That's what I think of every time I read verse 1. Joshua didn't get to flop down in that special place of his. Joshua didn't get to pass away. Joshua still had a lot of work to do. God was going to do the heavy lifting. He said so in verse 6. So Joshua could not be done. God was going to do the heavy lifting but Joshua had to get everyone settle in the Promised Land.

The commentary today comes from Bible.org.

The Philistines were apparently Greeks from the Aegean Islands. They were the only group of people in this part of the world who were uncircumcized. They were apparently a mercenary force who tried to attack Egypt in the twelfth century b.c. but were defeated. They then settled on the southern coast of Palestine. They had five major cities which are delineated in Jos. 13:3: Gaza, Ashdod, Ashkelon, Gad, and Ekron. They were a major military problem throughout the period of the judges and even throughout the reign of Saul and David. The name "Palestine" comes from the word "Philistine."​

The commentary goes on to site the others. Sometimes the commentary is much longer than the verses. It's not a bad read tho. Just click on the link at Bible.org.

Joshua had two big parts of his job to complete. According to the commentary, those two jobs are:

1. "allot," Jos. 13:6, Hiphil imperative (cf. Jos. 23:4)

2. "apportion," Jos. 13:7,, Piel imperative, Jos. 14:5; 18:2,5,10; 19:51; Num. 26:53,55,56

Ok... so now the allotment and apportionment is the topic. This should be dry but interesting. Remember, the great great whatever grandchildren of Shem will be taking the land from the great great whatever grandchildren of uncle Ham. Remember, all life was wiped out at the flood. All the heroes and villains of the Bible come form the three sons of Noah. It's family v. family. This land was promised to Abraham's family.... and Joseph's family.... and now they're going to settle in. Ham's family will have to move.

I have a map.

three sons.jpg

:coffee: