Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anyway in these forums have Vitiligo?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bird Dog View Post
    Hello Darlin’
    "Too much agreement kills a chat."
    ~Eldridge Cleaver

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SOMDRAVEN View Post
    Thanks for your reply. Some people do find it attractive. It just does draw a lot of stares which i understand. Most of the people i know with Vitiligo just wish people would ask them what is wrong instead of constantly staring. Everyone is diff i guess. It does bother me sometimes but then again I just try to look at it as people r just wondering what it is and not staring at you because you are ugly.
    Anything out of the ordinary will draw attention, that's just the way it is. Whether you have vitiligo or are a Victoria's Secret model, people are going to look because it's outside the norm, not necessarily in a bad way. But I get how it would make you feel self-conscious.
    "Too much agreement kills a chat."
    ~Eldridge Cleaver

Vittillgo

I have the disease as a by product of the treatment of cancer with Keytruda.
    Twenty percent of those of us that had a complete response came down with vittillgo. It's really a crapshoot when they unleash your immune system as to what might happen. I look at it as a small price to pay of having my cancer in remission.

I have a relatively mild case that developed in my late 20's (20 years ago). Early on I tried some steroid creams that helped, but you can't rub the stuff near your eyes and it irritated my skin, so I gave up. It used to bother me a lot more, but now I figure everyone else has to deal with it more than me. I only see it in the mirror. The weirdest thing was that some hair follicles went colorless too, so I have patches of translucent/white hair in my beard, that don't necessarily follow the patterns of lack of pigment in the skin.

I love the water...big boats, little boats, skiing, fishing & sailing, so big brimmed hats, and lots of sunscreen are SOP. I put a big-ass bimini on my sailboat about 5 years ago that covers the whole cockpit..that helped a lot..when there is no pigment to absorb the UV rays, you just burn.

About 1 in 100 people..considering it could always be something worse like sparky had (glad you beat the cancer, I have never heard of vitiligo being a side effect!), I'll consider myself lucky and deal with the occasional stare. It is nice to know not everyone is "freak staring".
    Last edited by sastanley; 11-02-2017 at 03:17 PM.

Members who have read this thread: 89