Scientists Say They’ll Be Able to Erase Specific Memories Soon

mudpuddle

I was thinking that this would actually be a blessing for people like our veterans and those that have experienced trauma in their lives. Unfortunately, it will take probably a hundred years to perfect this, if not longer....but I do think they should test it out on inmates!

Toxick

Splat
I was thinking that this would actually be a blessing for people like our veterans and those that have experienced trauma in their lives. Unfortunately, it will take probably a hundred years to perfect this, if not longer....but I do think they should test it out on inmates!

That's a good use.

I rather think a more popular use will be for forgetting your ex.

And forgetting your favorite book(s) or movie(s) - so you can enjoy it for the first time again.

I can think of 3 or 4 super-cringy events in my life that my brain likes to dwell on while I'm driving or trying to sleep that I'd rather never have randomly vomited up by my subconscious ever again.

Yooper

Up. Identified. Lase. Fire. On the way.
That's a good use.

I can think of 3 or 4 super-cringy events in my life that my brain likes to dwell on while I'm driving or trying to sleep that I'd rather never have randomly vomited up by my subconscious ever again.
There's some interesting research "out there" that is looking into mitigating PTSD issues that might relate to the OP.

If I'm understanding this research correctly "erasure" would have to take into account an multi-level/multi-angle approach (not just a neuron thing). What was originally thought to be a problem pretty much belonging to the amygdala now seems to be that and the hippocampus. And my bet is that other regions of the brain are going to be found out to factor in as well.

So maybe erasing memories is code speak for complete (s)wipe...?

--- End of line (MCP)

Last edited: