Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 24

Thread: Deceptive billing at tidewater

  1. #1

    Deceptive billing at tidewater

    Just thought I would bring this to the attention of the forums. In case anyone else was unaware of how things are at Tidewater after their change of ownership.

    A few months back I was told by a dentist at Tidewater in Lexington Park that I should see the orthodontist, and that they could get me a no cost consultation. I agreed, and they scheduled it. I went to the consultation, the orthodontist's assistant took pictures of my mouth and x-rays before I saw the doctor as part of their standard procedure for consultations even though I insisted I only had a few questions for the doctor. This didn't bother me too much as I figured in general the doctor can't be expected to know what the patients needs are without seeing what problems they may have. After seeing the doctor we agreed that orthodontics likely won't fix my issue and I may need to see an oral surgeon at some point in the future.

    That was that, or so I thought.

    I recently received a bill for almost $300 for this visit. When I called to ask about it, they said that while the consultation was free the imagery taken during the consult was not. The imagery that had to be taken before I was even able to see the doctor and ask any questions is apparently not part of the "consultation". And since my insurance wouldn't pay for it (I don't have dental insurance, I was planning to pay for any work out of pocket if necessary) they say I am responsible.

    This is absolutely reprehensible behavior and I will not be returning to Tidewater and I will recommend to everyone I know that they should also avoid these people. In my opinion they are crooks, and if I had the time, knowledge, and the patience to pursue this in small claims court I would. And if you do go to Tidewater and are comfortable with their service and care, please keep this in mind if they recommend you take any "free" consultations with their associates and have them put it in writing that it will be no-cost to include any imagery or labs.

  2. #2
    Originally Posted by littlelady View Post
    I just reported you. You are one scary individual.

  3. #3
    Visualize whirled peas Merlin99's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jul 2006
    Location
    California, MD
    Posts
    12,972
    It does seem that their name pops up quite often.
    ‎"I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake"

  4. #4
    Mostly settled in... spr1975wshs's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Lexington Park, MD
    Posts
    759
    Part of the reason we went with an independent practice (Dr Wood); avoid "chains" when possible.
    Take care - Steven
    "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn"

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by spr1975wshs View Post
    Part of the reason we went with an independent practice (Dr Wood); avoid "chains" when possible.
    I have had a couple of recommendations, but the couple established independent practice dentists I have contacted are not taking new patients. I take that as a good sign, they are busy and aren't motivated by money alone to try and cram more people into the same amount of office hours. I would love it if someone could PM me a good dentist in the Leonardtown area that is taking on new patients.

  6. #6
    Throwing the deuces RareBreed's Avatar
    Member Since
    Mar 2008
    Location
    On the out-skirts of persnickety
    Posts
    6,745
    Quote Originally Posted by spr1975wshs View Post
    Part of the reason we went with an independent practice (Dr Wood); avoid "chains" when possible.
    My husband has been going to him for 20 years.

  7. #7
    I have garlic breath. jen8753's Avatar
    Member Since
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Mechanicsville, MD
    Posts
    243
    I recently started using St. Mary's Dental in Mechanicsville and they are wonderful. Very nice people, professional, open late on Wednesdays and I've never had to wait longer than 5 minutes to be seen.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Merlin99 View Post
    It does seem that their name pops up quite often.
    It will be interesting to see if the Dentist Office has a rebuttal to this post..
    Originally Posted by littlelady View Post
    I just reported you. You are one scary individual.

  9. #9
    Power with Control glhs837's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    19,627
    when did this change of ownership happen? I have been using them for a couple of years now with no problems, but my wife recently shifted over this last fall and she's not been happy.
    "I aim to misbehave."

  10. #10

    A message from Tidewater Dental

    GeorgiaCorgi:
    This is Jeff Tomcsik the General Manager for Tidewater Dental. I am truly sorry that you were mislead in regards to the charges for the x-rays you incurred. As you know the x-rays are necessary for the doctor to make an educated decision in regards to your dental health and treatment. That said, you should have been informed as to the cost prior to the procedure. Perhaps the assistant assumed that you had dental insurance and your insurance would cover the cost of the x-rays. If this was the case, the failure was on our part for not doing the proper research to know that your x-rays were not covered. I would be happy to make this right, if you would please contact me personally.

    In regards to the statement about Tidewater ownership, I can assure you that Dr. Cooper is still 100% owner of each of our four Tidewater Dental practices. Also, in regards to the "crooks" comment, I am sorry you feel this way about us, but if we were crooks, wouldn't we have recommended the orthodontia and not referred you out to an unaffiliated practice for oral surgery. I understand you are upset, but I assure you we are not crooks and do everything we can to insure that all of our patients get the best and safest care possible in a clean and sterile environment.

    Again, please contact me at 301-862-3900 and we can discuss further.

    My Best,
    Jeff Tomcsik


    Quote Originally Posted by GeorgiaCorgi View Post
    Just thought I would bring this to the attention of the forums. In case anyone else was unaware of how things are at Tidewater after their change of ownership.

    A few months back I was told by a dentist at Tidewater in Lexington Park that I should see the orthodontist, and that they could get me a no cost consultation. I agreed, and they scheduled it. I went to the consultation, the orthodontist's assistant took pictures of my mouth and x-rays before I saw the doctor as part of their standard procedure for consultations even though I insisted I only had a few questions for the doctor. This didn't bother me too much as I figured in general the doctor can't be expected to know what the patients needs are without seeing what problems they may have. After seeing the doctor we agreed that orthodontics likely won't fix my issue and I may need to see an oral surgeon at some point in the future.

    That was that, or so I thought.

    I recently received a bill for almost $300 for this visit. When I called to ask about it, they said that while the consultation was free the imagery taken during the consult was not. The imagery that had to be taken before I was even able to see the doctor and ask any questions is apparently not part of the "consultation". And since my insurance wouldn't pay for it (I don't have dental insurance, I was planning to pay for any work out of pocket if necessary) they say I am responsible.

    This is absolutely reprehensible behavior and I will not be returning to Tidewater and I will recommend to everyone I know that they should also avoid these people. In my opinion they are crooks, and if I had the time, knowledge, and the patience to pursue this in small claims court I would. And if you do go to Tidewater and are comfortable with their service and care, please keep this in mind if they recommend you take any "free" consultations with their associates and have them put it in writing that it will be no-cost to include any imagery or labs.

Members who have read this thread: 110

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Search:     Advanced Search
Search HELP

| Home | Help | Contact Us | About somd.com | Privacy | Advertising | Sponsors | Newsletter |

| What's New | What's Cool | Top Rated | Add A Link | Mod a Link |

| Announcements | Bookstore | Cafe | Calendar | Classifieds | Community |
| Culture | Dating | Dining | Education | Employment | Entertainment |
| Forums | Free E-Mail | Games | Gear! | Government | Guestbook | Health | Marketplace | Mortgage | News |
| Organizations | Photos | Real Estate | Relocation | Sports | Survey | Travel | Wiki | Weather | Worship |