Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 21

Thread: BJ's

  1. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by warneckutz View Post
    use the same coupon twice on self checkout... ;)
    How do you do that, since the coupon has to be dropped in that little slot after it's scanned?


    I go there for meats, nuts and trail mixes, diet supplement shakes, and various other things. But I do agree with what many here have already said: they really aren't that much chaeper than some other places. It is convenient to get larger sizes of some items and know I won't run out of them nearly as often, but every once in a while - especially around 'renewal time' - I think about letting the membership lapse.

  2. 10-26-2017, 03:18 PM

  3. #12
    I buy big bulk stuff there, like TP and paper towels. In the meats, they carry the Purdue chicken parts pre-vacuum sealed in individual packets of 4 per pack, 6 packs together. Saves me the trouble of vacuum sealing it myself, and when I need a pack of 4 is usually just right. Price is decent too, and very few other stores carry it this way.

    I get propane refills there, too. Anywhere from $9 to $13 for a 20lb refill, vs $25 for an exchange anywhere else.
    "It must be inordinately taxing to be such a boob."
    The Brain

  4. #13
    eyes up here, buddy. lucky_bee's Avatar
    Member Since
    Apr 2013
    Location
    the mall
    Posts
    1,519
    I mostly still have a membership because 1. we got a $35 membership with military discount (I was about to drop it last year for $50) and 2. The convenience of a couple items we need in bulk: frozen broccoli, olive oil, frozen waffles, frozen and fresh chicken (also one the few places with boneless skinless thighs for less than $2/lb!) that's about it. I'd be all over Costco if it was even just 15 mins closer. I just can't get up to that side of Waldorf enough to justify it. We typically stock up the freezer twice a year and then I'll stop by for something specific 3-4 other times.

    One time we got a nice storage bench for our entryway there for $99. Other comparables were almost $150. So that was nice. And when I wanted a Ninja Coffee Bar, it was $30 cheaper at BJs.
    none of my yoga pants have ever been to yoga.

  5. #14
    Visualize whirled peas Merlin99's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jul 2006
    Location
    California, MD
    Posts
    12,972
    Quote Originally Posted by SamSpade View Post
    I've begun to doubt why I should bother anymore, but the truth is, I haven't spent much time trying to look for bargains there anymore.

    IF you belong, what do you usually buy there?

    For me, it's pretty much - gas, water bottles, pool chemicals, books and toys. Sometimes clothes, but I haven't really looked over their selection since they put more out there.

    I used to regularly buy things like diapers and wipes (kids are all bigger now), dog food (no dogs anymore) and kid's snacks and lunch materials (they all buy at school).
    A couple things I do like - for example, Verizon is in there, and I'd rather deal with them there than in the mess that is always their stores.
    Another is when I do actually need a lot of things I can't always get elsewhere, like folding chairs, paper supplies and large canisters of spices.
    SOMETIMES getting tech type things there is convenient, like some office supplies, a computer monitor and batteries.

    But now that I've shopped here for a while, many places here regularly beat their prices - cleaning supplies I can get cheaper at the dollar stores,
    food is almost ALWAYS cheaper elsewhere if I look for bargains, and I shop at Aldi's and other places for quick cheap things (e.g. pumpkins, GOOD size, 3.49 apiece).

    Again - if you belong, why do you go there? Cheaper rotisserie chickens?
    Tires. Saved enough on 2 cars worth of tires to make up for buying the membership plus they were in stock.
    ‎"I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake"

  6. #15
    Registered User PeoplesElbow's Avatar
    Member Since
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Smackdown hotel
    Posts
    4,978
    Deli cheese is about half the price per lb vs walmart or shoppers. That alone pays for my membership for the year.

    Otherwise gas, propane, paper towels, toilet paper, and laundry detergent.
    If what I say offends you then you really don't want to hear what I keep to myself.

  7. 10-27-2017, 11:47 PM

  8. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by SamSpade View Post
    I've begun to doubt why I should bother anymore, but the truth is, I haven't spent much time trying to look for bargains there anymore.

    IF you belong, what do you usually buy there?

    For me, it's pretty much - gas, water bottles, pool chemicals, books and toys. Sometimes clothes, but I haven't really looked over their selection since they put more out there.

    I used to regularly buy things like diapers and wipes (kids are all bigger now), dog food (no dogs anymore) and kid's snacks and lunch materials (they all buy at school).
    A couple things I do like - for example, Verizon is in there, and I'd rather deal with them there than in the mess that is always their stores.
    Another is when I do actually need a lot of things I can't always get elsewhere, like folding chairs, paper supplies and large canisters of spices.
    SOMETIMES getting tech type things there is convenient, like some office supplies, a computer monitor and batteries.

    But now that I've shopped here for a while, many places here regularly beat their prices - cleaning supplies I can get cheaper at the dollar stores,
    food is almost ALWAYS cheaper elsewhere if I look for bargains, and I shop at Aldi's and other places for quick cheap things (e.g. pumpkins, GOOD size, 3.49 apiece).

    Again - if you belong, why do you go there? Cheaper rotisserie chickens?
    I have never joined the ‘big’ stores. If one shops smart at a grocery store, they are not needed. And, not shopping at the ‘big’ stores keeps other chains in business. I like that the people that work in the store I go to (Giant) are very personable, and want to be helpful; they, also, like to chat about this, that, or the other. It is amazing that the Prince Fred manager I used to know, is now the manager in Olney. Small world! As far as rotisserie chickens, they have many uses. They are 4.99 at Giant. How much are they at BJ’s?
    ​​Like I said. JMO, yo! - Roman
    If you ignore the trolls, they starve. - Wishbone

  9. #17
    Registered User CRHS89's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 2008
    Location
    Right here
    Posts
    553
    There are enough things that are cheaper than my usual grocery store that I feel it is worth it. Plus I like being able to buy in bulk and then not have to think about it again for along time. My main purchases are gas, meat, milk, eggs, and paper products.

  10. #18
    Registered User warneckutz's Avatar
    Member Since
    Mar 2006
    Location
    The Gym
    Posts
    11,356
    Quote Originally Posted by ReadingTheNews View Post
    How do you do that, since the coupon has to be dropped in that little slot after it's scanned?


    I go there for meats, nuts and trail mixes, diet supplement shakes, and various other things. But I do agree with what many here have already said: they really aren't that much chaeper than some other places. It is convenient to get larger sizes of some items and know I won't run out of them nearly as often, but every once in a while - especially around 'renewal time' - I think about letting the membership lapse.
    Just throw in a coupon you're not going to use...
    Listen to me now, and believe me later: it doesn't matter how much you pump up those muscles, as long as you reach the full pumptential.

    It's not 'roids but thanks for noticing...

  11. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by PeoplesElbow View Post
    Deli cheese is about half the price per lb vs walmart or shoppers.
    Pretty sure it's even cheaper at Aldi's.

    I know what helps me is knowing what day the weekly special starts at the regular stores. Aldi's kicks over on Wednesdays; Giant, on Thursdays.
    McKay's sometimes bends either way on the weekly specials - I've heard managers say they'll still honor it the next day.

    But that means also that mark-downs are slightly more plentiful the day BEFORE the end of the cycle.
    Also, if you get there right after opening or just as they're loading the meats in the morning - the markdowns are all at once.
    I once got a whole bunch of those grass-fed ground beef things at Aldi's for about a buck a piece.

    I might look into a Costco membership IF I can find a way to make it worth the cost if I only go a few times a year.
    You know, stock up on a big trip but otherwise ignore it.
    “Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters.".Daniel Webster

  12. #20
    Registered User PeoplesElbow's Avatar
    Member Since
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Smackdown hotel
    Posts
    4,978
    Quote Originally Posted by SamSpade View Post
    Pretty sure it's even cheaper at Aldi's.
    While I love Aldi's unique cheeses they don't do fresh cut and they dont have Land O Lakes yellow American 3.99/lb at BJ's 6.99 elsewhere. Nothing is better melted on a burger or breakfast sandwich.

    I also have not found the D&W honey coated maple turkey breast anywhere else.
    Last edited by PeoplesElbow; 10-30-2017 at 08:09 PM.
    If what I say offends you then you really don't want to hear what I keep to myself.

Members who have read this thread: 84

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Search:     Advanced Search
Search HELP

| Home | Help | Contact Us | About somd.com | Privacy | Advertising | Sponsors | Newsletter |

| What's New | What's Cool | Top Rated | Add A Link | Mod a Link |

| Announcements | Bookstore | Cafe | Calendar | Classifieds | Community |
| Culture | Dating | Dining | Education | Employment | Entertainment |
| Forums | Free E-Mail | Games | Gear! | Government | Guestbook | Health | Marketplace | Mortgage | News |
| Organizations | Photos | Real Estate | Relocation | Sports | Survey | Travel | Wiki | Weather | Worship |