Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: BJ's

BJ's

I've begun to doubt why I should bother anymore, but the truth is, I haven't spent much time trying to look for bargains there anymore.

IF you belong, what do you usually buy there?

For me, it's pretty much - gas, water bottles, pool chemicals, books and toys. Sometimes clothes, but I haven't really looked over their selection since they put more out there.

I used to regularly buy things like diapers and wipes (kids are all bigger now), dog food (no dogs anymore) and kid's snacks and lunch materials (they all buy at school).
    A couple things I do like - for example, Verizon is in there, and I'd rather deal with them there than in the mess that is always their stores.
    Another is when I do actually need a lot of things I can't always get elsewhere, like folding chairs, paper supplies and large canisters of spices.
    SOMETIMES getting tech type things there is convenient, like some office supplies, a computer monitor and batteries.

But now that I've shopped here for a while, many places here regularly beat their prices - cleaning supplies I can get cheaper at the dollar stores,
    food is almost ALWAYS cheaper elsewhere if I look for bargains, and I shop at Aldi's and other places for quick cheap things (e.g. pumpkins, GOOD size, 3.49 apiece).

Again - if you belong, why do you go there? Cheaper rotisserie chickens?
    “Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters.".Daniel Webster

I love me some BJ's.

Quote Originally Posted by SamSpade View Post
    I buy bulk OTC medicine and vitamins there. Milk/Almond Milk/Eggs. Sometimes buy the supplement drinks like Ensure. The meat department isn't necessarily cheaper, but its probably got the nicest steaks close by (5.99/lb ribeyes at Weis aren't a deal when they are only 0.5 inches thick and turning green). Toilet paper and paper towels as well on occasion.

Regular food items, clothing, tech items all seem to be same price or worse than other big box stores or Amazon.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SamSpade View Post
    I know someone who does go there for the chickens.

Anyway, one of my favorite things is asparagus wrapped in prosciutto and that is the only place I can get a big package of it that is sliced thin. I did buy a Samsung 32" TV there a couple of months ago and no one else could match the price. Lots of other stuff I get there: stuff to make for parties, love their trail mix, bulk items like batteries, etc. Their selection isn't wide like Walmart but then again I don't have to troupe over God's half acre to find stuff.

BJ's is like any other place. Do your research and know your prices.

Quote Originally Posted by Clem72 View Post
    I buy bulk OTC medicine and vitamins there. Milk/Almond Milk/Eggs. Sometimes buy the supplement drinks like Ensure. The meat department isn't necessarily cheaper, but its probably got the nicest steaks close by (5.99/lb ribeyes at Weis aren't a deal when they are only 0.5 inches thick and turning green). Toilet paper and paper towels as well on occasion.

Regular food items, clothing, tech items all seem to be same price or worse than other big box stores or Amazon.
    My wife has often tried to persuade me that if I was going to belong to a store like that - it should be Costco. Sadly, the nearest one is in Waldorf, and I need a good reason to waste gas just to shop there.
    I used to buy vitamins at BJs, but it became a waste of time. The only way I could get my son (who's probably the only one of my kids who really needs them) was to give them in gummies, and he learned about
    a year ago that he could just open the bottle and chow down on them. Since he won't take the pills willingly, I've decided to just forego them. I probably should reconsider, but I don't know of many children's vitamins
    that aren't actually in the form of candy.

I used to buy chicken at BJ's but I have found other stores - even *Giant* - can match their prices, and Aldi's regularly beats them.
    Ditto with sales on things like pork loins, and I can buy whole pigs and have them cut up for cheaper than a number of stores.

Since I don't care if some things are name brand or not, I'm content with knock off versions of paper towels and TP, although I had to make a few mistakes first.
    And I am surprised that sometimes, the gas prices don't differ by more than a couple pennies.

The MAIN reason I go now is - the big water bottles. They're cheaper than every other place out there, and the vouchers for turning in old bottles are given at the front.
    I wish I had a nickel for every one of those water bottle return machines like at Lowe's that wasn't working, and I'd have to go inside, wait, and get a ticket.
    What's the point? I used to buy them years ago at the McKay's in Wildewood, but once their machine broke down, they NEVER fixed it.
    “Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters.".Daniel Webster

Quote Originally Posted by jazz lady View Post
    Lots of other stuff I get there: stuff to make for parties,
    That IS true. I don't know of any other place where I can get sternos in bulk cheap enough - large aluminum foil type trays for party stuff, and we bought our folding tables and chairs there.
    Also, every spring we buy our pool chemicals there - no one can match their price, not even Ollies and certainly not Lowes or the pool places.

One of my biggest issues with BJ's is that we pay to be a member and still have to clip coupons to get extra savings. That is just wrong!!

For the home, rarely do I buy produce from them but their meats are usually good and we stock up on frozen chicken breasts, chicken picatta (), pizzas. Our deep freezer was recently defrosted and we will probably make a run and stock up for the winter. Sometimes I buy vitamins there but watch the dates closely. In the past, I bought expired vitamins there and when I returned them, they seemed to care less.

For the store, I usually shop there for laundry soap, paper towels, TP. Used to buy ink cartridges there -much cheaper than Staples. But we have changed printers and can only buy them at Staples.

When on that side of the bridge, I buy gas there.
    "It's nice to be important but it's also important to be nice."

I can't stand BJ's. I have card there for work and really only use it for the gas discount. Costco is like a million times better than BJ's so I go there 2-3 times a month for our big shopping trips (chips, meats, veggies, seafood, dairy, etc...) If for some reason I don't have time to make it to Costco I have gone into BJ's and it just really sucks. Their prices are higher and the selection and quality is just not as good as what we get at Costco.
    "You die and go to heaven, I'll stay here in Bermuda".

Quote Originally Posted by frequentflier View Post
    One of my biggest issues with BJ's is that we pay to be a member and still have to clip coupons to get extra savings. That is just wrong!!
    ^^^^THIS^^^

Like seriously what a pain! Costco has specials every month too and you don't need to clip any coupons. They mail out the book showing you what is on sale and how much you are saving. When you get to the register w/ your items the discount is automatically applied no need for coupons.

Also let me just go on and on about their samples. Friday-Sunday they pretty much have at least 10-12 different sample ladies passing out yummy stuff. They aren't chincy w/ the samples either, they are unlimited you can get as many as you want! I love that...so do the kids.
    "You die and go to heaven, I'll stay here in Bermuda".

Quote Originally Posted by frequentflier View Post

For the home, rarely do I buy produce from them but their meats are usually good and we stock up on frozen chicken breasts, chicken picatta (), pizzas. Our deep freezer was recently defrosted and we will probably make a run and stock up for the winter. Sometimes I buy vitamins there but watch the dates closely. In the past, I bought expired vitamins there and when I returned them, they seemed to care less.

For the store, I usually shop there for laundry soap, paper towels, TP. Used to buy ink cartridges there -much cheaper than Staples. But we have changed printers and can only buy them at Staples.

When on that side of the bridge, I buy gas there.
    use the same coupon twice on self checkout... ;)
    Listen to me now, and believe me later: it doesn't matter how much you pump up those muscles, as long as you reach the full pumptential.

It's not 'roids but thanks for noticing...

Members who have read this thread: 84