Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 34

Thread: When did St. Marys College become such a liberal disgrace?

  1. #21
    So a college President needs to have a personal driver on the payroll? That's the definition of limousine liberal. A driver? really?

    They are now offering in state tuition for those in Puerto Rico? Really? Its tragic what happened down there, but what drives a small State school in Southern Maryland to do this? What about the people in Houston, those affected by the fires in California? Too bad for them because they are not from Puerto Rico.

    I promise you, more is coming

  2. #22
    Power with Control glhs837's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    19,632
    Quote Originally Posted by Baker12 View Post
    So a college President needs to have a personal driver on the payroll? That's the definition of limousine liberal. A driver? really?

    They are now offering in state tuition for those in Puerto Rico? Really? Its tragic what happened down there, but what drives a small State school in Southern Maryland to do this? What about the people in Houston, those affected by the fires in California? Too bad for them because they are not from Puerto Rico.

    I promise you, more is coming

    See, I saw this and the recent announcement of the waiving of administrative fees for "first generation" students (unsure if that's students who are the first in the family to attend college, or students who are not the children of SMCM alumni) as another enrollment booster. The college has been struggling for years now with dwindling enrollment, and this sort of thing not only encourages enrollment, but also polishes the diversity theme. IIRC, the previous president was canned for drooping enrollment and part of the current presidents charter was to reverse that trend. A big enough part that it was a specific point made by her when talking the Board into changing her from an annual contract renewal to a five year contract. Worrying about not getting her contract renewed was a distraction from increasing enrollment numbers, she claimed. I suspect that she knows there's no way to reverse that trend and she was buying herself five more years to polish there resume for her next job. I jut wonder how many more tax funded giveaways she's going to toss out over the next five years.
    "I aim to misbehave."

  3. #23
    Quote Originally Posted by glhs837 View Post
    See, I saw this and the recent announcement of the waiving of administrative fees for "first generation" students (unsure if that's students who are the first in the family to attend college, or students who are not the children of SMCM alumni) as another enrollment booster. The college has been struggling for years now with dwindling enrollment, and this sort of thing not only encourages enrollment, but also polishes the diversity theme. IIRC, the previous president was canned for drooping enrollment and part of the current presidents charter was to reverse that trend. A big enough part that it was a specific point made by her when talking the Board into changing her from an annual contract renewal to a five year contract. Worrying about not getting her contract renewed was a distraction from increasing enrollment numbers, she claimed. I suspect that she knows there's no way to reverse that trend and she was buying herself five more years to polish there resume for her next job. I jut wonder how many more tax funded giveaways she's going to toss out over the next five years.
    The last part, "tax funded giveaways" is what I see as the problem. St Marys needs to stop trying to be something its not, and the current administration probably wants to move away from the history of the school, the area, the founding of Maryland, etc. So to make themselves look good and feel good, they are going to recruit students that aren't qualified and who wont pay. They just hired a new Chief of Diversity Officer, she undoubtedly is pulling down 250k or more, and we all know what her agenda is. If I was an alum, I'd be very concerned about the direction that the school is headed.

  4. #24
    Registered User Midnightrider's Avatar
    Member Since
    Aug 2004
    Location
    NU
    Posts
    11,288
    Quote Originally Posted by Baker12 View Post
    The last part, "tax funded giveaways" is what I see as the problem. St Marys needs to stop trying to be something its not, and the current administration probably wants to move away from the history of the school, the area, the founding of Maryland, etc. So to make themselves look good and feel good, they are going to recruit students that aren't qualified and who wont pay. They just hired a new Chief of Diversity Officer, she undoubtedly is pulling down 250k or more, and we all know what her agenda is. If I was an alum, I'd be very concerned about the direction that the school is headed.
    Anything to back that up? Itís a pretty ridiculous claim.

    Who said they would lower standards for PRs? In state Tuition is completely different than reducing entrance requirements

  5. #25
    Main Streeter awpitt's Avatar
    Member Since
    Oct 2002
    Location
    St. Mary's County
    Posts
    9,945
    Quote Originally Posted by Baker12 View Post
    ....................
    I'm guessing a disgruntled employee or former employee.
    .
    .

    .

  6. #26
    The federal government has been administering a special Puerto Rico-customized version of its National Assessment of Educational Progress (NAEP) exam in Spanish to Puerto Rican public school students, and the results have been jaw-droppingly bad.

    For example, among Puerto Rican 8th graders tested in mathematics in 2013, 95% scored Below Basic, 5% scored Basic, and (to the limits of rounding) 0% scored Proficient, and 0% scored Advanced. These results were the same in 2011.

    Yep, lets take all these budding NASA engineers in and have taxpayers pay for it.

    As far as the direction of St. Marys under Tuajuanda C. Jordan, hmmm it doesn't take much time to read her opinion pieces to figure out where she is headed. Gets paid 350k to organize "sit ins", anti-Trump rhetoric and emails about standing up for the likes of Eric Garner, Michael Brown, etc.

    Not an employee, not an alum, just know a lot about whats really going on there. Its all of our taxes that pay for this BS

  7. #27
    Registered User
    Member Since
    May 2016
    Posts
    1,563
    Quote Originally Posted by wddolson View Post
    Used to come to this site for information about Southern Maryland. I come here less and less now because there are about 5 posters who want to turn everything into politics, it's getting really old.
    Holy crap, you certainly didn't come here to contribute to the commentary. 6 posts in 4 years!?

  8. #28
    Quote Originally Posted by glhs837 View Post
    The college has been struggling for years now with dwindling enrollment, and this sort of thing not only encourages enrollment, but also polishes the diversity theme.
    I don't suppose lowering their over bloated tuition costs came into mind did it?

  9. #29
    Fighting like a girl truby20's Avatar
    Member Since
    Apr 2004
    Location
    On the bleeding edge
    Posts
    295
    Quote Originally Posted by BernieP View Post
    I think the world of Mike Rowe and if he had his way we would stop pushing every kid to college.
    There are thousands of jobs that don't require a 4 year college degree, good paying jobs, But we have become college obsessed.

    Apply the laws of supply and demand. If everyone keeps going to college the competition to get in is greater, so they can charge more.
    With more and more people applying, schools are expanding and new schools are starting up.
    Well what do you do for those who really have no interested in the classical courses of study, you create new classes and degree programs that are essentially worthless.
    Hence why you have all these wacked out "professors" and "students".
    This!!!

    The baby boomers fetishized higher education to the point that anyone choosing another option over the last 30 years was seen as a complete moron. 4 year degrees beyond high school do have some role, but really, does the average person need to be sitting in a classroom 19+ years of their life? (preschool -> bachelors). We are supporting a welfare state of the overeducated and frankly otherwise unemployable in a majority of our universities. Vocational education should be a core component of middle and high school years, we need people out there putting their skills to work instead of unending recitation and testing.

  10. #30
    Mostly settled in... spr1975wshs's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Lexington Park, MD
    Posts
    759
    Took me 38 years to complete my Bachelor's, there was a 32 1/2 year gap in there in attending classes.
    Take care - Steven
    "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn"

Members who have read this thread: 114

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Search:     Advanced Search
Search HELP

| Home | Help | Contact Us | About somd.com | Privacy | Advertising | Sponsors | Newsletter |

| What's New | What's Cool | Top Rated | Add A Link | Mod a Link |

| Announcements | Bookstore | Cafe | Calendar | Classifieds | Community |
| Culture | Dating | Dining | Education | Employment | Entertainment |
| Forums | Free E-Mail | Games | Gear! | Government | Guestbook | Health | Marketplace | Mortgage | News |
| Organizations | Photos | Real Estate | Relocation | Sports | Survey | Travel | Wiki | Weather | Worship |