When did St. Marys College become such a liberal disgrace?

Baker12

I actually would have liked one of my kids to go there. But every month I hear a new story outta there that makes me shake my head

Chris0nllyn

Many colleges are liberal. If you want them to get a degree and you don't think your kids are easily manipulated, what's the problem?

CSM is pretty good. Most of my professors were right or middle with one being a liberal. I just wrote my paper on a subject liberals would enjoy and got an A.

Baker12

I went to a conservative college that didn't shove worthless agenda driven crap down my throat. I kinda hoped St Marys wouldn't become a liberal asylum for these dbags.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
When did St. Marys College become such a liberal disgrace?

A long time ago.

For as long as I remember, there's been a leftwing touchy feely agenda that has nothing to do with a student's education for future employment purposes.

wddolson

Used to come to this site for information about Southern Maryland. I come here less and less now because there are about 5 posters who want to turn everything into politics, it's getting really old.

ginwoman

Many colleges are liberal. If you want them to get a degree and you don't think your kids are easily manipulated, what's the problem?

CSM is pretty good. Most of my professors were right or middle with one being a liberal. I just wrote my paper on a subject liberals would enjoy and got an A.

:pete:

spclopr8tr

nobody here will miss you

Speak for yourself. You don't speak for me. And you don't control the membership of the group.

You troll out a topic condemning SMC, but you don't offer any examples that prompted your post. Can you even offer one story that makes you shake your head? Or are you just bloviating?

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
Used to come to this site for information about Southern Maryland. I come here less and less now because there are about 5 posters who want to turn everything into politics, it's getting really old.

nobody here will miss you

Speak for yourself. You don't speak for me. And you don't control the membership of the group.

You troll out a topic condemning SMC, but you don't offer any examples that prompted your post. Can you even offer one story that makes you shake your head? Or are you just bloviating?

New MPD?

PeoplesElbow

You can get a good education anywhere, yes classes like womens studies are liberal topics but the ones that have no political leanings like math and science generally don't have one.

Colleges are full of young people, that is what they do in general.

College made me go from thinking I was a liberal to the exact opposite.

BernieP

Resident PIA
You can get a good education anywhere, yes classes like womens studies are liberal topics but the ones that have no political leanings like math and science generally don't have one.

Colleges are full of young people, that is what they do in general.

College made me go from thinking I was a liberal to the exact opposite.

I think the world of Mike Rowe and if he had his way we would stop pushing every kid to college.
There are thousands of jobs that don't require a 4 year college degree, good paying jobs, But we have become college obsessed.

Apply the laws of supply and demand. If everyone keeps going to college the competition to get in is greater, so they can charge more.
With more and more people applying, schools are expanding and new schools are starting up.
Well what do you do for those who really have no interested in the classical courses of study, you create new classes and degree programs that are essentially worthless.
Hence why you have all these wacked out "professors" and "students".

littlelady

God bless the USA
I think the world of Mike Rowe and if he had his way we would stop pushing every kid to college.
There are thousands of jobs that don't require a 4 year college degree, good paying jobs, But we have become college obsessed.

Apply the laws of supply and demand. If everyone keeps going to college the competition to get in is greater, so they can charge more.
With more and more people applying, schools are expanding and new schools are starting up.
Well what do you do for those who really have no interested in the classical courses of study, you create new classes and degree programs that are essentially worthless.

You have some very good points. Not everyone needs to go to college. Many excel and do well at physical jobs such as plumbing, electrical, hvac, etc.; and those are very lucrative jobs, and nothing wrong with doing them. Everyone relies on those skills to fix their problems.

PeoplesElbow

Different issue, but Mike Rowe is correct. The failure lies at the high school level with the guidance counselors and teachers themselves not knowing any better. When I was in high school the "retards" went to the technical center.

Midnightrider

"Nicole Bindler will briefly cover the history of the 1948 Nakba, when 750,000 Palestinians were exiled, the current apartheid system and how it affects Palestinians on a bodily level"

https://www.smcm.edu/events/calendar/embodied-palestinian-solidarity-presentation/

What is so sickening? What would you call the system they have WRT Palestinians?

BTW, in our group we hire plenty of SMCM grads, they are all quite employable. As far as I know they all have to do internships to even graduate, so they are getting prepared for jobs. Now we deal with science majors, but as I understand it they have similar requirements for all of their grads. College is what you make of it.

PeoplesElbow

"Nicole Bindler will briefly cover the history of the 1948 Nakba, when 750,000 Palestinians were exiled, the current apartheid system and how it affects Palestinians on a bodily level"

https://www.smcm.edu/events/calendar/embodied-palestinian-solidarity-presentation/

Most colleges have guest presentations like that, most of the students don't even know or care they are happening. Agree with them or not they give the students opportunities they otherwise wouldn't have. Far too many people think colleges are trying to indoctrinate their children, there is little brain washing that goes on, if your kids agree with such things it was most likely their decision to begin with.

One of the guest presentations I went to back when I was in school was on why a torque wrench was a poor indicator of fastener tension, another was by Author Schlesinger on how the US allowed the escalation in Vietnam to happen and why we would have never won. I went to a big school but there were a couple things like that a week and counting graduate school in the 7 years I was there I only went to those two.

terbear1225

I hope my kids are exposed to all kinds of viewpoints in college if for no other reason than to know what all the different kinds of idiots in the world are thinking. You can't discuss/combat a viewpoint that you don't know exists. Israel/Palestine is a complex topic; if you only ever hear one side of the debate, how do you know what the other side thinks?