US Navy rescues sailors and their 2 dogs lost at sea for months

gilianpero

Two civilian mariners were rescued at sea by a U.S. Navy ship after being stranded in the Pacific Ocean for almost five months.

The two mariners were well off course: They left Honolulu on their sailboat in the spring, bound for Tahiti, 2,600 miles away in the South Pacific, but were rescued in the western Pacific 900 miles southeast of Japan.

glhs837

Power with Control
Two civilian mariners were rescued at sea by a U.S. Navy ship after being stranded in the Pacific Ocean for almost five months.

The two mariners were well off course: They left Honolulu on their sailboat in the spring, bound for Tahiti, 2,600 miles away in the South Pacific, but were rescued in the western Pacific 900 miles southeast of Japan.

Knowing how little EPIRBs cost that will activate SARSAT, I have to wonder why they didnt have one.

https://www.acrartex.com/info/search-and-rescue/

$500 bucks gets you a GPS enabled beacon that will not only trigger a response but drop the search radius down considerably. Seems like cheap insurance.

black dog

Free America
Knowing how little EPIRBs cost that will activate SARSAT, I have to wonder why they didnt have one.

https://www.acrartex.com/info/search-and-rescue/

$500 bucks gets you a GPS enabled beacon that will not only trigger a response but drop the search radius down considerably. Seems like cheap insurance.

Yep, the ACR on my boat was about 400 bucks when I bought it and I also have a hand held " spot " that with a reasonable monthly service charge I can hit a button and it will email friends and family where I am. It also works with upper level GPS satellites for rescue when needed. Under 150 bucks.. this kinna makes you wonder if this was a insurance scam... Who knows..

officeguy

Doesn't sound like they made shortwave radio or satphone/messenger (e.g. InReach or SPOT) part of their safety plan.

black dog

Free America
Doesn't sound like they made shortwave radio or satphone/messenger (e.g. InReach or SPOT) part of their safety plan.

Nope, poorly planned and executed, a 150 bucks would have changed their perilous journey.. apparently they broke a mast spreader, with the mast still standing a prepared sailer easily could have added one or two rope supports to the mast and at least raised a storm jib and or a sheeted mainsail and returned to Hawaii or continued on at a reduced speed.

Just heard on the news:

They HAD an EPRIB and didn't use it.
Weather authorities dispute the storm condition they claim.

black dog

Free America
Just heard on the news:

They HAD an EPRIB and didn't use it.
Weather authorities dispute the storm condition they claim.

I'm believing these two idiots were thinking they were going to get a movie deal if all this stupidness were believable.. no storm, no broken standing rigging, not turning on the eprib.. What's all that green and black marine growth on the starboard side of the sailboat,,, That doesn't happen for 2' above the water line unless the hull is under the water for extended time..
The US Navy should give them a bill for the cost of retrieving their dumbasses out of the water.
Someone eventually will look at satellite photos and most likey will see them anchored in the shallow water where the hull lays on its side during low tide and then motoring until they ran out of fuel or had engine problems and floated after that..
One would also think that the Lilly Irish White one would have a much better tan than she has..

Last edited:

littlelady

God bless the USA
What I get out of this story is that these women were rescued from themselves for being stupid; at tax payer expense. I am just glad the dogs are ok.

glhs837

Power with Control
What I get out of this story is that these women were rescued from themselves for being stupid; at tax payer expense. I am just glad the dogs are ok.

What that says to me is that you have failed to read it well, especially the follow ups, where it has been pointed out that

1. They had a functional EPIRB that would have brought them rescue within days at any point in the journey but never turned it on.
2. The supposed storm they say disabled them never happened according to the National Weather Service records
3. They passed up three or four possible berthing opportunities with BS excuses (No inhabited, no place to berth, when the island has 2,000 inhabitants and can host large cargo ships)
4. Mid journey, supposedly after two months adrift, they had a USCG captain talk to them over the radio and ask how they were, and they told him they were just fine and expected to make landfall the next day.

It all looks to be a BS story now.

Restitution

I'm believing these two idiots were thinking they were going to get a movie deal if all this stupidness were believable.. no storm, no broken standing rigging, not turning on the eprib.. What's all that green and black marine growth on the starboard side of the sailboat,,, That doesn't happen for 2' above the water line unless the hull is under the water for extended time..
The US Navy should give them a bill for the cost of retrieving their dumbasses out of the water.
Someone eventually will look at satellite photos and most likey will see them anchored in the shallow water where the hull lays on its side during low tide and then motoring until they ran out of fuel or had engine problems and floated after that..
One would also think that the Lilly Irish White one would have a much better tan than she has..

Lol...

glhs837

Power with Control
"Oh, Oprah, about month three is when things got tough, the strawberry oatmeal was getting low and we ran out of deodorant"

littlelady

God bless the USA
What that says to me is that you have failed to read it well, especially the follow ups, where it has been pointed out that

1. They had a functional EPIRB that would have brought them rescue within days at any point in the journey but never turned it on.
2. The supposed storm they say disabled them never happened according to the National Weather Service records
3. They passed up three or four possible berthing opportunities with BS excuses (No inhabited, no place to berth, when the island has 2,000 inhabitants and can host large cargo ships)
4. Mid journey, supposedly after two months adrift, they had a USCG captain talk to them over the radio and ask how they were, and they told him they were just fine and expected to make landfall the next day.

It all looks to be a BS story now.

Ok.