Church to remove Geo. Washington plaque

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
The floodgates have been opened.

“The plaques in our sanctuary make some in our presence feel unsafe or unwelcome. Some visitors and guests who worship with us choose not to return because they receive an unintended message from the prominent presence of the plaques,” the church leaders said.

George Washington was one of the founding members of Christ Church in Alexandria, buying pew No. 5 when the church first opened in 1773, and attending for more than two decades.
This week the church announced it was pulling down a memorial to its one-time vestryman and the country’s first president, saying he and another famous parishioner, Robert E. Lee, have become too controversial and are chasing away would-be parishioners.

now we need safe spaces inside safe spaces

Agee

Is nothing sacred, even in a church?

So fed-up with this new wave of succumbing to folks and their precious feelings...

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Okay, if a plaque dedicated to our first President and the Father of our Country makes you "uncomfortable", you need to get your bitch ass out of our country. That church sucks and whoever runs that place sucks.

I'm so sick of these crybabies and whiners. WHY are they being allowed to pitch a completely unreasonable fit and get their way???

Hijinx

Okay, if a plaque dedicated to our first President and the Father of our Country makes you "uncomfortable", you need to get your bitch ass out of our country. That church sucks and whoever runs that place sucks.

I'm so sick of these crybabies and whiners. WHY are they being allowed to pitch a completely unreasonable fit and get their way???

You beat me to it. That Church sucks and so does it's patrons if they allow this to happen.
If I were a member and this was going on they could make it from those offended, because that would be my last trip there.

This is total Bullsh1t. The people who go there should be jumping up and down on the pews, about the ignorance of whoever came up with this sh1t.

Last edited:

Tech

If a sign can make you feel unsafe, when are the Welcome to Baltimore ones coming down.

limblips

PREMO Member
This will not be a popular statement. Whatever the church, on their private property, wants to display is their own decision. I may not like it but I wouldn't like it if someone were to tell me what I can display on my own property. Before you all burn me to ashes, I am totally against removing monuments and statues on public property to appease a few butthurt flakes.

Hijinx

This will not be a popular statement. Whatever the church, on their private property, wants to display is their own decision. I may not like it but I wouldn't like it if someone were to tell me what I can display on my own property. Before you all burn me to ashes, I am totally against removing monuments and statues on public property to appease a few butthurt flakes.

Nobody wants to burn you for your post, but this is a Church. It is supported by the people who attend it. It isn't private property.
The article says there is friction, but the Church leaders have decided the plaques have to come down.

As I said in my post if they are worried about guests not showing up, if I were a member of this Church they had best worry about me.
I wouldn't show up
If the majority of their worshippers want them to come down , of course they should come down.
But those people who want them down IMO should join the howlers https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2017/oct/24/inside-the-beltway-liberals-plan-scream-fests-agai/

Eat sh1t and howl at the moon they are a pack of freaking idiots.

acommondisaster

A few years ago, after decades of not bothering, I went back to church. We'd been going through a stressful time with one of our kids and I found I needed something, and the church turned out to be the right thing. I grew up Episcopalian and it felt great to be back in the church community. I've enjoyed the fellowship and the friendships I've made. But when I heard the news this morning, my heart sunk. I'm going to say goodbye to the Episcopalian church because of this and find another way to follow my faith. I'm sick that I'm not going to hear prayers I've said all my life; that the beliefs I have aren't found in other denominations, except maybe the Catholic church - and there's too much there that I can't adhere to. The church has just gone too far - I can't believe the diocese hasn't stepped in - and since they haven't, I'm done. (I dont attend the Alexandria church, fyi)

I'm hoping I can get to the attitude that Hijinx has, because for now I feel like this is going to hurt me more than it hurts them. At this point I think the church ought to be torn down because I'm sure for a century or so blacks weren't allowed in the church or had to sit in a certain section. And Limblips, that particular church profits from the tours they do identifying themselves as the church of George Washington (and other presidents), so they're full of BS with this "we dont want to upset anyone" crap.

littlelady

God bless the USA
Nobody wants to burn you for your post, but this is a Church. It is supported by the people who attend it. It isn't private property.
The article says there is friction, but the Church leaders have decided the plaques have to come down.

As I said in my post if they are worried about guests not showing up, if I were a member of this Church they had best worry about me.
I wouldn't show up
If the majority of their worshippers want them to come down , of course they should come down.
But those people who want them down IMO should join the howlers https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2017/oct/24/inside-the-beltway-liberals-plan-scream-fests-agai/

A few years ago, after decades of not bothering, I went back to church. We'd been going through a stressful time with one of our kids and I found I needed something, and the church turned out to be the right thing. I grew up Episcopalian and it felt great to be back in the church community. I've enjoyed the fellowship and the friendships I've made. But when I heard the news this morning, my heart sunk. I'm going to say goodbye to the Episcopalian church because of this and find another way to follow my faith. I'm sick that I'm not going to hear prayers I've said all my life; that the beliefs I have aren't found in other denominations, except maybe the Catholic church - and there's too much there that I can't adhere to. The church has just gone too far - I can't believe the diocese hasn't stepped in - and since they haven't, I'm done. (I dont attend the Alexandria church, fyi)

I'm hoping I can get to the attitude that Hijinx has, because for now I feel like this is going to hurt me more than it hurts them. At this point I think the church ought to be torn down because I'm sure for a century or so blacks weren't allowed in the church or had to sit in a certain section. And Limblips, that particular church profits from the tours they do identifying themselves as the church of George Washington (and other presidents), so they're full of BS with this "we dont want to upset anyone" crap.

Amen.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Whatever the church, on their private property, wants to display is their own decision.

That is certainly true, but I will still pass judgment on them and state my opinion. All this lack of judging is what got us to this stupid part of our culture where some flake is offended by George Washington, and therefore he must be removed.

Rommey

That is certainly true, but I will still pass judgment on them and state my opinion. All this lack of judging is what got us to this stupid part of our culture where some flake is offended by George Washington, and therefore he must be removed.
I wonder if anyone else gets the irony of the the church's address: 118 N Washington St.

PrchJrkr

Long Haired Country Boy
Ad Free Experience
Patron
I wonder if anyone else gets the irony of the the church's address: 118 N Washington St.

They could rename it to MLK Ave and have it go to #### like every other MLK this or that typically does. :yay:

transporter

And there you go again. Would you PLEASE utilize the website of Merriam Webster! Or use any of the generally accepted search engines. Public property is that owned by the govt. A church IS private property. Damn...you are dumb.

Have you looked up anything about this church and its current members? (No need to answer.)

Why would they care about you showing up? You wouldn't be a member of this church. Again, it helps if you look sh!t up before you post.

I wouldn't show up
Just like in English class, huh?

Gee, really? Majority rule? When have you been in favor of that?

Those are wonderful comments you just directed at members of a church. I bet your momma would be proud!

Bird Dog

Bird Dog
PREMO Member
It truly doesn’t make a difference how, why or what they do.

It’s fricking Snowflakes being Snowflakes.

So I guess the next move is to try and change the name of the street they are on or move to another street. Then there is that problem of the name of the city across the river........

Hijinx

And there you go again. Would you PLEASE utilize the website of Merriam Webster! Or use any of the generally accepted search engines. Public property is that owned by the govt. A church IS private property. Damn...you are dumb.

Have you looked up anything about this church and its current members? (No need to answer.)

Why would they care about you showing up? You wouldn't be a member of this church. Again, it helps if you look sh!t up before you post.

Those are wonderful comments you just directed at members of a church. I bet your momma would be proud!

My momma would have a fit over the BS that crazy people are doing
Tearing down statues renaming streets,Kneeling at football games, but then she didn't raise a liberal fool like you.

I don't care to look up anything about the people who attend this Church. If they allow this to happen the less I know about them the better.
If they agree with this they are liberal snowflakes azzholes like yourself.

If enough members like myself (I am sure there are some--hopefully anyway) and they stop going , the Church will have to depend on the snowflakes and guests to stay open.
Pretty sure I have always stood for majority rule in most cases. Certainly where a few offended nitwits want to remove statues and plaques, and crosses, and nativity.
sets. I also agree with the majority of states in the Electoral college choosing the President. Instead of New York and California picking who runs the country.

Hijinx

The Church belongs to the people who go to it. Unless it's Catholic and then it belongs to the Archdiocese, (Which IMO is BS too)
Anyway I suppose it could be called private property owned by the public.

Grumpy

A great example of the slippery slope..started with a few statues, now they wanna whitewash(ha) all history prior to the civil war. Frankly, the snowflakes are the ones letting this happen.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
if they cannot handle George Washington and Robert E Lee ....... what do the do when the pastor preacher on the wages of Sin