2nd and 9th Districts Tax Rate Increase for a new $8 million+ Fire/EMS Station

USWWarrior

It's a Jeep thang!
As a communication follow up to the Company 6 Public Forum held on October 16th we are providing some additional facts for you to review. As stated by this group the community does not need a Taj Mahal for a fire/EMS station that will cost between 8 and 10 million, especially one that does not have a social hall and will likely include a Helicopter Pad, along with excessive training spaces.
Fact The public forum was basically a one way discussion with the community as opposed to an “open forum”. When the public was allowed to speak, an individual had 3 minutes to make their point. The 3 minutes was strictly enforced and included stating your name and address if you were against the tax increase. If you were for the tax increase, the 3 minute time was loosely enforced and even went beyond 5 minutes on 2 occasions. By our count (estimates only), only 4 people that spoke supported the tax increase whereas about 8-10 were against.
Fact Company 6 refused to directly respond to any question from the community at the meeting. The community had to write their question down with a promise for a response form Company 6 as soon as possible.
Fact Company 6 tried to quiet the crowd by having two local law enforcement personnel present. This intimidated a few on the members of the community and prevented them from talking. Were two law enforcement personnel required for a “public forum”?
Fact Company 6 at the October 16th Public Forum briefed the following, their proposed tax rate hike is estimated to raise their income on a yearly basis by $231,463. This Fire and Rescue Tax increase is a 30% overall increase above the current Fire and Rescue Tax income of $ 565,804 collected in Fiscal Year 2017. They also brief that they are experiencing deficit from the EMS expenditures of around $ 50,000 but provided no other information regarding the Fire Operations portion of the business. So, if they are only experiencing a shortfall of $ 50,000. Why does Company 6 need a yearly $ 231,463 tax increase? There is on one conclusion that can be reached. This proposed increase is mainly to make yearly mortgage payments on the proposed Fire\EMS station for the next 30 or 40 years.
Fact It should be noted that even no major tax increase rate has been proposed over the past decade as briefed by Company 6 at the Oct 16th Public forum. Every time your property assessment value has been increased by the county or a new residence is built. Company 6 receives a yearly increase in Tax income. Company 6 collected $ 547,722 fire and rescue taxes as income in FY 2015 and during FY 2016 they collected $ 554,112 which was shows a $ 6,390 increase from 2015. Another example is in FY 2016 they collected $ 554,112 and at the end of FY 2017 they reported tax income of $ 565,804, which is an automatic $ 11,692 of income increase without a tax rate hike. So, as they try to sell the fact that are operating at a disadvantage. Company 6 has the luxury of automatic increases each year from the Taxpayers pockets without having to even ask.
Fact Bay District built their fire station in 2008 for $5.3 million WITH a social hall that can seat 380 people AND training facilities. While it is not a combined fire/EMS station, it is 30,000 square feet. Does Valley Lee really need a second Bay District Fire Station at the expense of the tax payer?
Fact There are adequate training facilities for fire fighters at Bay District, University of Maryland and the Harry Lundeberg School. In fact, the Harry Lundeberg School is nationally recognized for its firefighting training but yet that is not good enough for Company 6 to use?
Fact The “fill the boot” sign shows a progress of $700,000. According to Company 6: Fill the boot signs will be posted to demonstrate fundraising and donation progress. So have they really collected 700k in 4 months? Or did they transfer money from one of their investment accounts and are mis-leading the public about the amount of support.
We have a petition going around the community for signatures if you are opposed to this requested tax rate increase. We request your signature support in order to turn this unwarranted proposed tax increase around and allow the commissioners to provide a referendum vote which will allow the voters of the 2nd and 9th District to decide if they want to support or reject this enormous tax increase request. Please contact us by email at concerncitizens2and9district@gmail.com or follow us on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/Concernedcitizensof2ndand9thdistrict-St-Marys-County-1572519312789805/

NTNG

Their EMS expenditures of $50K are a direct result of a failure in leadership in the department. How does the EMS division of a combined company go $50K in the hole on expenditures with out the leadership of the dept. knowing about? Did they agree to the purchases? Does the EMS division have autonomy and are not required to request/report purchases? If the leadership in the EMS division " snuck it by" the department, then they need to be relieved.

Clem72

Their EMS expenditures of $50K are a direct result of a failure in leadership in the department. How does the EMS division of a combined company go $50K in the hole on expenditures with out the leadership of the dept. knowing about? Did they agree to the purchases? Does the EMS division have autonomy and are not required to request/report purchases? If the leadership in the EMS division " snuck it by" the department, then they need to be relieved.

Maybe they had $50k in unexpected service calls to Harris corp.

spr1975wshs

Mostly settled in...
Ad Free Experience
Patron
Are they expecting Pax River to be forever here to keep the county afloat?

glhs837

Power with Control
Are they expecting Pax River to be forever here to keep the county afloat?

Not a bad way to bet. The last 20 years has seen the base grow incredibly. Three brand new platforms (JSF,P-8, and MQ-4) have stood up test centers here in the last ten years with expected presence for at least the next few decades supporting them. Not to mention other major programs like Presidential Helo, and some other stuff that I have no idea of, but they have built two new hangars in the last two years, with one C-5 sized hangar. the base isn't going anywhere, it's a pretty safe bet that Pax is so huge that you simply couldn't move everything.

Forever? Nothing is. 50-75 years, I would take that bet.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Back to the point...2D has a nice solid firehouse and has not put up one single solitary valid reason for why they need a new one. NOT ONE!

Having watched them struggle forever to put the volume of one lousy garden hose on a fully-engulfed burning home.....when every unit they owned was on scene, I'm all ears on how they think a new building will improve upon that...

black dog

Free America
Back to the point...2D has a nice solid firehouse and has not put up one single solitary valid reason for why they need a new one. NOT ONE!

Having watched them struggle forever to put the volume of one lousy garden hose on a fully-engulfed burning home.....when every unit they owned was on scene, I'm all ears on how they think a new building will improve upon that...

I watched Mechanicsville fight a fire at the end of Parlett Morgan Rd about 10-12 years ago.
Waterfront brick one story with a small stove fire when they arrived on scene, it took 15 min at best to get the pump truck in service feeding a 6" feeder line.
By that time the roof was involved.. Seems a 2" charged line would have put out a stove, kitchen fire.. I sat and watched Mrs Morgan's house get almost gutted..
It looked like a Bennie Hill chase the girl around the field show....

officeguy

They have a proposed layout for the new station on the department website. I understand the desire to build 'for the next 50 years', but it would seem that a design that allows for additions as the area builds up would be a more cost effective use of tax money rather than building such a large facility at this time. There are good size cities that have a main fire station less elaborate than this.
The proposed design has substantial living quarters for a live-in crew. Before building that size of a bunk facility, it would probably be a good idea to take a critical look at how many live-in members the station had in recent years to decide whether that capacity is truly needed.

As for the 50k overage on the EMS side, 30k of that was the unbudgeted purchase/upgrade of a Lifepak 15 defibrilator. Certainly a worthwhile investment but the question remains how a capital expenditure of that size could be signed off if it wasn't in the budget.

Last edited:

spr1975wshs

Mostly settled in...
Ad Free Experience
Patron
Not a bad way to bet. The last 20 years has seen the base grow incredibly. Three brand new platforms (JSF,P-8, and MQ-4) have stood up test centers here in the last ten years with expected presence for at least the next few decades supporting them. Not to mention other major programs like Presidential Helo, and some other stuff that I have no idea of, but they have built two new hangars in the last two years, with one C-5 sized hangar. the base isn't going anywhere, it's a pretty safe bet that Pax is so huge that you simply couldn't move everything.

Forever? Nothing is. 50-75 years, I would take that bet.

Sound reasoning.

NTNG

They have a proposed layout for the new station on the department website. I understand the desire to build 'for the next 50 years', but it would seem that a design that allows for additions as the area builds up would be a more cost effective use of tax money rather than building such a large facility at this time. There are good size cities that have a main fire station less elaborate than this.
The proposed design has substantial living quarters for a live-in crew. Before building that size of a bunk facility, it would probably be a good idea to take a critical look at how many live-in members the station had in recent years to decide whether that capacity is truly needed.

As for the 50k overage on the EMS side, 30k of that was the unbudgeted purchase/upgrade of a Lifepak 15 defibrilator. Certainly a worthwhile investment but the question remains how a capital expenditure of that size could be signed off if it wasn't in the budget.
if the bought a LP-15 directly, then yes, they paid way too much. The State EMS agency < MIEMSS> has a matching grant program that will pay 50% of the cost. You have to apply for the grant, and then purchase the LP-15 thru a state contract vehicle.

officeguy

if the bought a LP-15 directly, then yes, they paid way too much. The State EMS agency < MIEMSS> has a matching grant program that will pay 50% of the cost. You have to apply for the grant, and then purchase the LP-15 thru a state contract vehicle.

They have two or three wambulances. I believe this was for upgrades to EKG capabilities on several units.

NTNG

They have two or three wambulances. I believe this was for upgrades to EKG capabilities on several units.

I get that, but as I stated, if they paid full price for even one LP-15 Defibrillator with out using the grant program, well then they paid way too much. Speaks volumes about the ability to plan and execute.

officeguy

I get that, but as I stated, if they paid full price for even one LP-15 Defibrillator with out using the grant program, well then they paid way too much. Speaks volumes about the ability to plan and execute.

I have no information to suggest that they paid full price for one LP-15. This is what their report states for that unbudgeted item:

– Life Pack 15 Lead $30K (unbudgeted – EKG preparation – new EMS capability)

NTNG

I have no information to suggest that they paid full price for one LP-15. This is what their report states for that unbudgeted item:

– Life Pack 15 Lead $30K (unbudgeted – EKG preparation – new EMS capability)

Yes, that's full price for a LP-15.

thatguy54

One of those purchases totaled $22k on what boiled down to office supplies and bags. Some ems gear was included in that purchase, the gear never showed up. Their EMS chief had been suspended from the department for misuse of the department's credit card. Buying items that were not approved then refusing to return them. Instead of disciplining him because he wrote an apology, they reinstated his credit card authorization rights. Unrelated to money he proudly ran off 7 EMT's during his current reign most of whom were very active members, he has also caused the department to be subject to an EEOC investigation that is still ongoing. So I would say yes their current leadership is a total failure.

That is all well and fine, except for the fact company 6 no paramedics that are allowed to practice in Saint Mary's County. The basic life support EMT 12 lead program has not been approved in Saint Mary's so their monitors are capable but not being used.

NTNG

One of those purchases totaled $22k on what boiled down to office supplies and bags. Some ems gear was included in that purchase, the gear never showed up. Their EMS chief had been suspended from the department for misuse of the department's credit card. Buying items that were not approved then refusing to return them. Instead of disciplining him because he wrote an apology, they reinstated his credit card authorization rights. Unrelated to money he proudly ran off 7 EMT's during his current reign most of whom were very active members, he has also caused the department to be subject to an EEOC investigation that is still ongoing. So I would say yes their current leadership is a total failure.

That is all well and fine, except for the fact company 6 no paramedics that are allowed to practice in Saint Mary's County. The basic life support EMT 12 lead program has not been approved in Saint Mary's so their monitors are capable but not being used.

So if that's how the management < the term "Leadership" just does not seem to apply to Co. 6 > handles their funding, it seems absurd to expect the public to fund an $8-10 million purchase...