Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: GOP Tax Plan

Quote Originally Posted by Clem72 View Post
    And why artificially encourage people to invest in a stock market (with cheaper taxes) instead of, say, encouraging them to start new businesses or become venture capitalists?
    Risk, maybe? Perhaps some bureaucrats decided it's better for people to invest in a business that is working than one that may or may not succeed?
    A more reliable revenue stream? (That's a guess).

I don't craft tax laws. My guess is they've "evolved" and therefore have NO cohesive, over-arching agenda.
    You want to encourage this or discourage that, you offer tax breaks or deductions or create "sin" taxes or gas taxes.
    What you GET is a mess of many groups who have an interest in this or that.

I think somewhere, folks in Washington are reluctant to give up their leverage over what people do, and thus are against just making taxes --- simple.
    Don't states do something like this - come to New York and not pay taxes for ten years with your business? Stuff like that?
    How else can you persuade business - or people - unless you can manipulate taxes?

So stuff like the Fair Tax? Won't happen as long as tax laws can be used to manipulate.
    “Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters.".Daniel Webster

Quote Originally Posted by Clem72 View Post
    And leave money on the table? You're an idiot, or a liar. And judging by what I have heard of your business prowess, I suspect I know which one.
    you don't know what you are talking about
    We’re tempted to suggest a conspiracy here — but it’s just liberals agreeing yet again that conservatives have hidden, evil motives, because modern liberals simply can’t conceive of any other reason to disagree with the liberal consensus.

Has anyone seen info on whether the house/senate is proposing that this tax reform take affect on January 1, 2018 or will it be retroactive to January 1, 2017?

Quote Originally Posted by awpitt View Post
    Has anyone seen info on whether the house/senate is proposing that this tax reform take affect on January 1, 2018 or will it be retroactive to January 1, 2017?
    HR1 has an effective date for tax years after Dec. 31, 2017, now what the Senate comes up with and whether the House and Senate go to committee to work out the differences, is anyone's guess.

Members who have read this thread: 51