Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: GOP Tax Plan

Quote Originally Posted by Chris0nllyn View Post
    Nope, just...
    Where did you find that? I didn't see it....
    You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline. It helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer. -Frank Zappa

Quote Originally Posted by GURPS View Post
    this an honest to God 'REAL' Budget not a continuing resolution.
    Jesus Christ...how the f*** do you post 1000 times daily and not understand that this is not a budget?

This is a bill that proposes new tax structure. It is exactly what a true Republican should absolutely hate since it is a massive addition to the debt. You ready to rescind your idiotic comment the other day about only Democrats not wanting to pay for things in your equally stupid Keynes thread?

Quote Originally Posted by awpitt View Post
    That would be the case already. With or without this tax proposal.
    True, but the attraction would increase.
    There are only two possibilities; one is that we are alone in the universe, the other is that we are not.
    Both are terrifying.

Quote Originally Posted by transporter View Post
    Jesus Christ...how the f*** do you post 1000 times daily and not understand that this is not a budget?

hey Toe JAM I don''t Post 1000 times a day
    Hey Toe JAM I misspoke - GFYS

This is a bill that proposes new tax structure. It is exactly what a true Republican should absolutely hate since it is a massive addition to the debt.

You ready to rescind your idiotic comment the other day about only Democrats not wanting to pay for things in your equally stupid Keynes thread?
    Hey Toe JAM - as much as you follow me around reading my posts - you should be aware by now I have LONG SAID the Current iteration of the GOP Leadership is NOT Small Gov. Conservative
    Hey Toe JAM - Again GFYS

Last edited by GURPS; 11-02-2017 at 02:10 PM.
    We’re tempted to suggest a conspiracy here — but it’s just liberals agreeing yet again that conservatives have hidden, evil motives, because modern liberals simply can’t conceive of any other reason to disagree with the liberal consensus.

Quote Originally Posted by This_person View Post
    Only for the states that have an income tax. Many do not. Those that do not would become more attractive in which to live by some amount per person.
    Hmmm, seven out of 50, not sure if "many" applies.

Alaska, Florida, Nevada, South Dakota, Texas, Washington and Wyoming. and NH and TN only tax dividends and investment income
    "I aim to misbehave."

Quote Originally Posted by glhs837 View Post
    Hmmm, seven out of 50, not sure if "many" applies.

Alaska, Florida, Nevada, South Dakota, Texas, Washington and Wyoming. and NH and TN only tax dividends and investment income
    14%...."some"?
    There are only two possibilities; one is that we are alone in the universe, the other is that we are not.
    Both are terrifying.

Someone enlighten me, because I'm not seeing a truly terrible outcome. 1.5 trillion over ten years - easy math - 150 billion a year.
    Against a 4 trillion plus typical yearly budget - that's what, 3-4%?

THAT is the catastrophe I'm being warned against? I have to admit, spelled it, it seems like a pittance to me.
    Second - what kind of economic return is giving back all this tax money going to create? Is it even likely at all to increase revenues?
    Maybe - a few percent? (There's a commercial out there saying the tax cut "will HURT the economy". I'm not sure a tax cut has ever hurt an economy).

Lastly - I did a quick bit of guesswork - this will actually help me, but not a lot. With healthcare premiums and healthcare costs going nuts, I can barely keep up.
    “Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters.".Daniel Webster

Quote Originally Posted by This_person View Post
    True, but the attraction would increase.
    In all fairness, I took a look at my last tax return and found if the doubling of the Standard Deduction comes true, the elimination of the "SALT" deduction wouldn't matter. I wouldn't have to itemize and could use the "short form" for filing taxes.

Why are we even now allowed to write off state taxes? I see it as just a money laundering game allowing states to use their citizens to syphon more money from the feds. California has a state tax rate pretty close to double that of the next highest tax rate state (NY). They get to suck in that dough all year long then when their citizens file taxes for the year allowing them to use what they paid out to the state the past year as a deduction is reimbursement on that tax burden from our federal coffers. Why wouldn't we want to remove it?
    Imagine how much better America would be if you would simply don a pair a pants before sitting down at your Playskool My First 'Puter.

LibertyBeacon

Quote Originally Posted by kwillia View Post
    Why are we even now allowed to write off state taxes? I see it as just a money laundering game allowing states to use their citizens to syphon more money from the feds. California has a state tax rate pretty close to double that of the next highest tax rate state (NY). They get to suck in that dough all year long then when their citizens file taxes for the year allowing them to use what they paid out to the state the past year as a deduction is reimbursement on that tax burden from our federal coffers. Why wouldn't we want to remove it?
    Heck why do we have a mortgage deduction? Don't get me wrong, I am glad we have it. It's been beneficial for me numerous times. I do remember a time when pretty much all loan interest was deductible (like a car loan).

We have deductions to encourage that behavior - mostly. The other reason is - whether you agree or not - to level the playing field so to speak.
    Stuff like tax credits etc. made any number of things affordable for me. Had they not been in place, I would not have done them. (e.g. we could not have afforded our adoptions without the tax credit; I'd argue that even WITH them, the adoptions were very expensive, but without them we could not have done them).
    “Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters.".Daniel Webster

Members who have read this thread: 52