Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: GOP Tax Plan

Quote Originally Posted by awpitt View Post
    Not really. People aren't going to pick up and move because of state's tax rate. If that were true, FL would have the bulk of our population.
    I have a lot of friends who moved to Delaware for that exact reason.
    Perhaps they didn't move there while working, but upon retirement they hauled ass right over there.

If that were true, it would've happened already.
    It happens all the time. It'll happen for me when I retire, if not slightly before.

I've known two folks who retired to other states so far for the same reasons.

This is why we need the Fair Tax....

https://fairtax.org/about/how-fairtax-works
    I've long been in favor of the Fair Tax but it faces at least one huge hurdle - the 16th Amendment.
    I don't trust Congress to create a massive consumption tax unless the ability to tax income is completely taken from them.

My other misgivings are, of course - prebate fraud, and there WILL be a lot of that - and a gross underestimate of what the tax level needs to be.
    I think the Fair Tax does however erase the idiotic distinction between what is set aside for Medicare and SS - because the "unified budget" thing is a joke already.
    IOUs notwithstanding, it does all come from the same pile and it's high time to be honest about it.
    “Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters.".Daniel Webster

If it weren't for family and friends and the fact that i was born and raised here in St. Mary's County I would be moving to Delaware and getting that big pay raise.

Not really. People aren't going to pick up and move because of state's tax rate. If that were true, FL would have the bulk of our population.

In a long list of things that make people choose, I have used tax rates of states as a part of my decision. No, it did not finalize my decision (not a deal breaker), but it made a difference nonetheless. I do not think my actions were outside the norm, as it was part of the question list that came from respected family and friends whose advice I sought in making my decision.

Just like safety is on the list of car-purchase decisions, it is not the singlular item on the list. Otherwise, everyone who bought a 2016 would have bought a Subaru Outback (or whatever is considered the safest car today).
    There are only two possibilities; one is that we are alone in the universe, the other is that we are not.
    Both are terrifying.

Quote Originally Posted by SamSpade View Post
    I've long been in favor of the Fair Tax but it faces at least one huge hurdle - the 16th Amendment.
    I don't trust Congress to create a massive consumption tax unless the ability to tax income is completely taken from them.

My other misgivings are, of course - prebate fraud, and there WILL be a lot of that - and a gross underestimate of what the tax level needs to be.
    I think the Fair Tax does however erase the idiotic distinction between what is set aside for Medicare and SS - because the "unified budget" thing is a joke already.
    IOUs notwithstanding, it does all come from the same pile and it's high time to be honest about it.
    Couldn't agree more. A better distinction than a pre-bate would be to not tax food, clothing, or housing.

I wonder how quickly we would start forming a barter system if this were ever enacted. It certainly exists to some extent now, but I could easily see the guy who changes your oil saying to the guy who cleans your chimney to just clean his chimney for 3 free oil changes or something like that.
    There are only two possibilities; one is that we are alone in the universe, the other is that we are not.
    Both are terrifying.

Quote Originally Posted by This_person View Post
    Couldn't agree more. A better distinction than a pre-bate would be to not tax food, clothing, or housing.

I wonder how quickly we would start forming a barter system if this were ever enacted. It certainly exists to some extent now, but I could easily see the guy who changes your oil saying to the guy who cleans your chimney to just clean his chimney for 3 free oil changes or something like that.
    I went to a site that argues FOR it - but recognizes two things, and one is, for most of us, our taxes won't change a lot.
    Another is that people will STILL try to skirt around taxes by claiming every single expense as a business expense and thus not paying the sales taxes.

As long as exceptions are made - there will always be fraudulent attempts to get the exception.
    “Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters.".Daniel Webster

Quote Originally Posted by SamSpade View Post
    I went to a site that argues FOR it - but recognizes two things, and one is, for most of us, our taxes won't change a lot.
    Another is that people will STILL try to skirt around taxes by claiming every single expense as a business expense and thus not paying the sales taxes.

As long as exceptions are made - there will always be fraudulent attempts to get the exception.
    I would not give businesses an exception. Maybe - MAYBE - raw material to create an end-product. Not electricity, not the paperwork involved, etc., etc. Not the gas for the truck that does the delivery.
    I think the harder part would be the "shelter" exception. Is your refrigerator part of "food and shelter"? What about alcohol? What about re-roofing - are the products AND services associated with that exempt, or just the products?

The details would suck, that's for sure. Even as a Christian, I would not expect my pastor or church to be exempt.
    Both are terrifying.

Do you deduct your state and local taxes on your federal tax return? If so, why? If you think it's such a bad idea.
    Yes I do, and don't be stupid.
    Imagine how much better America would be if you would simply don a pair a pants before sitting down at your Playskool My First 'Puter.

LibertyBeacon

Quote Originally Posted by kwillia View Post
    Yes I do, and don't be stupid.
    I'm not being stupid. I asked a fair question. You lamented about us being allowed to deduct state and local taxes yet you just said you deducted state and local taxes. If you 're against it then why do you practice it? Either it's bad or it's good. Which is it?

Members who have read this thread: 51