Joshua 19 Son of a concubine

seekeroftruth

Joshua 19:24 The fifth lot came out for the tribe of Asher according to its clans. 25 Their territory included:

Helkath, Hali, Beten, Akshaph, 26 Allammelek, Amad and Mishal. On the west the boundary touched Carmel and Shihor Libnath. 27 It then turned east toward Beth Dagon, touched Zebulun and the Valley of Iphtah El, and went north to Beth Emek and Neiel, passing Kabul on the left. 28 It went to Abdon,(b) Rehob, Hammon and Kanah, as far as Greater Sidon. 29 The boundary then turned back toward Ramah and went to the fortified city of Tyre, turned toward Hosah and came out at the Mediterranean Sea in the region of Akzib, 30 Ummah, Aphek and Rehob. There were twenty-two towns and their villages.

31 These towns and their villages were the inheritance of the tribe of Asher, according to its clans.

32 The sixth lot came out for Naphtali according to its clans:

33 Their boundary went from Heleph and the large tree in Zaanannim, passing Adami Nekeb and Jabneel to Lakkum and ending at the Jordan. 34 The boundary ran west through Aznoth Tabor and came out at Hukkok. It touched Zebulun on the south, Asher on the west and the Jordan[c] on the east. 35 The fortified towns were Ziddim, Zer, Hammath, Rakkath, Kinnereth, 36 Adamah, Ramah, Hazor, 37 Kedesh, Edrei, En Hazor, 38 Iron, Migdal El, Horem, Beth Anath and Beth Shemesh. There were nineteen towns and their villages.

39 These towns and their villages were the inheritance of the tribe of Naphtali, according to its clans.

40 The seventh lot came out for the tribe of Dan according to its clans. 41 The territory of their inheritance included:

Zorah, Eshtaol, Ir Shemesh, 42 Shaalabbin, Aijalon, Ithlah, 43 Elon, Timnah, Ekron, 44 Eltekeh, Gibbethon, Baalath, 45 Jehud, Bene Berak, Gath Rimmon, 46 Me Jarkon and Rakkon, with the area facing Joppa.

47 (When the territory of the Danites was lost to them, they went up and attacked Leshem, took it, put it to the sword and occupied it. They settled in Leshem and named it Dan after their ancestor.)

48 These towns and their villages were the inheritance of the tribe of Dan, according to its clans.

49 When they had finished dividing the land into its allotted portions, the Israelites gave Joshua son of Nun an inheritance among them, 50 as the Lord had commanded. They gave him the town he asked for—Timnath Serah[d] in the hill country of Ephraim. And he built up the town and settled there.

51 These are the territories that Eleazar the priest, Joshua son of Nun and the heads of the tribal clans of Israel assigned by lot at Shiloh in the presence of the Lord at the entrance to the tent of meeting. And so they finished dividing the land.​

b. Joshua 19:28 Some Hebrew manuscripts (see also 21:30); most Hebrew manuscripts Ebron
c. Joshua 19:34 Septuagint; Hebrew west, and Judah, the Jordan,
d. Joshua 19:50 Also known as Timnath Heres (see Judges 2:9)

I found this at the Bibletrack.org site.

That leaves six more tribes to receive their territories in this chapter by the lottery method.

• The second lot fell to Simeon, Jacob’s second son by Leah (Verses 1-9).
  • The third lot fell to Zebulun, Leah’s youngest son (Verses 10-16).
  • The fourth lot fell to Issachar, Jacob’s fifth son by Leah (Verses 17-23).
  • The fifth lot fell to Asher, Jacob’s second son by Zilpah (Verses 24-31).
  • The sixth lot fell to Naphtali, Jacob’s youngest son by Bilhah (Verses 32-39).
  • The seventh lot fell to Dan, Jacob’s oldest son by Bilhah (Verses 40-48).

It is somewhat interesting to me that the tribes who were the descendants of the sons of the maidservants of Jacob's wives were the last three to receive their allotments. The other maidservant's son was Gad who chose to stay on the other side of the Jordan with Reuben and Manasseh.​

I found this commentary at freebiblecommentary.org.

19:47 This refers to the movement of Dan to the north (Judges 17-18). Joshua told Ephraim earlier that if they wanted more land they should conquer what was already allocated to them. Some commentators see this as explaining Dan's relocation, but to me it was an act of unbelief. This is why it is listed in the conclusion of Judges (chapters 17-21) which documents the Israelites acts of faithlessness. Dan's original allocation was in the Philistine area. They chose to move instead of trusting YHWH to help them take their land.​

I figure ol' Dan would have been betrayed as the betrayed in modern movies. His mother was a concubine. His father thought of him as property. He had probably been ignored by everyone his whole life because of his status. I figure his main line in a modern day movie would be "who cares". I wonder if my description of Dan will change once I get into Judges. His philosophy of life right now seems to be "why bother".

I'm sorry.... I'm still stuck on the image of the size of that cluster of grapes.... how can anyone be complacent in a place that bountiful? Especially when the whole nation of over 2 million people had been wondering around in the desert for forty years.... I don't understand.

:coffee: