Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 33

Thread: Constitutional Convention....

  1. #1
    Bird Dog Bird Dog's Avatar
    Member Since
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Chesapeake Bay
    Posts
    5,128

    Constitutional Convention....

    Only one more state needs to have a Republican Governor and Legislature for this to possibly happen.....

    I can the snowflakes running for their safe spaces now......

    Will there be a new constitutional convention? - CBS News
    https://apple.news/ADrBfJ9ABR-K149UslVKTSA
    When you lie down with dogs, you're going to get fleas....


    Quote Originally Posted by vraiblonde View Post
    How is it that you don't see how crazy you sound when you do this?

  2. #2
    Quote Originally Posted by Bird Dog View Post
    Only one more state needs to have a Republican Governor and Legislature for this to possibly happen.....

    I can the snowflakes running for their safe spaces now......

    Will there be a new constitutional convention? - CBS News
    https://apple.news/ADrBfJ9ABR-K149UslVKTSA
    It takes 3/4 of the states to ratify. That means 38 states have to agree something is good.

    But, it's a great discussion anyway. What would you change?

    My first would be a repeal of the 17th to give states a say in federal government authority again. Next would be a balanced budget. Next would be term limits for Congressional elected representatives.


    What say you?
    There are only two possibilities; one is that we are alone in the universe, the other is that we are not.
    Both are terrifying.

  3. #3
    Amendment XXVIII:

    Henceforth all members of the Democratic, Socialist, Marxist or Communist Parties shall be purged from the Earth for all time.
    ___________________________________________________________
    "If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man." - Mark Twain

  4. #4
    Registered User PeoplesElbow's Avatar
    Member Since
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Smackdown hotel
    Posts
    4,986
    Quote Originally Posted by This_person View Post
    It takes 3/4 of the states to ratify. That means 38 states have to agree something is good.

    But, it's a great discussion anyway. What would you change?

    My first would be a repeal of the 17th to give states a say in federal government authority again. Next would be a balanced budget. Next would be term limits for Congressional elected representatives.


    What say you?
    As much as I hate some of the lifers, term limits are just a concoction brought up to get out people that you can't elect out.

    Term limits, its called voting for the other guy.
    If what I say offends you then you really don't want to hear what I keep to myself.

  5. #5
    Bird Dog Bird Dog's Avatar
    Member Since
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Chesapeake Bay
    Posts
    5,128
    Quote Originally Posted by This_person View Post
    It takes 3/4 of the states to ratify. That means 38 states have to agree something is good.

    But, it's a great discussion anyway. What would you change?

    My first would be a repeal of the 17th to give states a say in federal government authority again. Next would be a balanced budget. Next would be term limits for Congressional elected representatives.


    What say you?
    Repeal the 17th
    Term limits
    Limit the powers and size of government...and a host of others.
    Li
    When you lie down with dogs, you're going to get fleas....


    Quote Originally Posted by vraiblonde View Post
    How is it that you don't see how crazy you sound when you do this?

  6. #6
    Registered User
    Member Since
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    22,980
    Quote Originally Posted by PeoplesElbow View Post
    As much as I hate some of the lifers, term limits are just a concoction brought up to get out people that you can't elect out.

    Term limits, its called voting for the other guy.
    You have a point, but I would like to make a comment on your point.
    Term limits are a concoction to get rid of people we cannot vote out.
    But why can't we vote them out.?
    IMO it is because of the perks they hold and not so much because the people like them.

    First they have franking.
    A way to send a message to all of their constituents all year long.----Free
    Then they have certain powers to do favors, political and otherwise. The longer they stay the more power they have.
    They have slush funds -treasure chests of left over campaign money , that they can give to their buds for votes, and receive from their buds for theirs.
    They start off a new campaign with money, while their opponent must start with nothing.
    The power of incumbency.

    I believe term limits are necessary in order that we don't see a politician carried onto the floor in a stretcher and have his hand held up on a tight vote.
    I also believe that we need age limits to keep people with Dementia, alzheimers, and brain tumors from voting.

  7. #7
    Board Mommy vraiblonde's Avatar
    Member Since
    Mar 2001
    Location
    Off the grid
    Posts
    117,956
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by Bird Dog View Post
    Only one more state needs to have a Republican Governor and Legislature for this to possibly happen.....

    I can the snowflakes running for their safe spaces now......

    Will there be a new constitutional convention? - CBS News
    https://apple.news/ADrBfJ9ABR-K149UslVKTSA
    Why do I care about this?

    That's a real question - you're smart and you posted it for a reason, so please explain to me why it interested you.
    "Too much agreement kills a chat."
    ~Eldridge Cleaver

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by PeoplesElbow View Post
    As much as I hate some of the lifers, term limits are just a concoction brought up to get out people that you can't elect out.

    Term limits, its called voting for the other guy.
    Generally I agree. My dad once pointed out something a long time ago that is still largely true - if the same party keeps a seat, they usually keep the same staff.
    They have the same people they work with in DC. So the person who holds elective office might change, but nothing else does.
    Term limits would give the appearance of kicking them out without actually doing so, while the people who actually DO a lot of the work - they remain.

    It's kind of moot, because they remain there no matter what. My dad was an observer of the "deep state" decades before it had a name.

    ONE of my concerns is that a Senator or Representative becomes less responsive to his constituents the longer he remains in office.
    I think this is especially true of House members - they must spend a great deal of their time fund raising.

    We observed recently a couple members speak their mind because they KNOW they're not returning. If you are term limited - you don't have to be wishy-washy.
    You're still out of office. I like the fact that Virginia governors have a term limit of ONE term - they can run later, but they can't run for consecutive terms.
    I think it works fairly well.

    I think things work well when there's diversity of opinion and competition for seats. We have anywhere from 20-30 seats in the House that are unopposed in an election, and about twenty more with only token opposition.
    Still more for which the opposing party hasn't won in decades, if ever. I don't know how to correct that - I find it hard to believe there's good reasons for people to always align with a given party for decades at a time.

    HOWEVER -

    The fact remains that people in office very rarely get voted OUT. They hold too much power, once ensconced. When 90-95% of the House gets re-elected - and the Senate, similarly - you're talking too much power.
    It's scary to think that in many parts of this country and at the national level, good people don't run for a lot of reasons, but one is, their opposition is just too powerful and has too big a war chest (money) to challenge.
    Think of it this way - in another time, you might hesitate to run against a Washington or Jefferson, simply because you believe they're national icons and people respect them too much.
    But imagine if it was fear against an Andrew Johnson - because he just had too much money?

    It would be good overall, for the country - to get new blood in there. To get men who are there to make a difference, not to secure a career.
    “Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters.".Daniel Webster

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by PeoplesElbow View Post
    As much as I hate some of the lifers, term limits are just a concoction brought up to get out people that you can't elect out.

    Term limits, its called voting for the other guy.
    It was thought of as important enough to implement on the Presidential elections. And, the POTUS doesn't even make laws in this country!

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by PeoplesElbow View Post
    As much as I hate some of the lifers, term limits are just a concoction brought up to get out people that you can't elect out.

    Term limits, its called voting for the other guy.
    While I agree with you conceptually, gerrymandering has made "the other guy" a virtual non-entity. Now, you could argue that is simply because their ideas are not as good to a particular populace, but that population is specifically chosen because of the ideas to which they are most likely to agree.

    Politicians do not fear an election opponent, they fear a primary opponent. And, who picks whether or not there will be a primary opponent but their party. So, if a D/R gets cocky with their party, the D/R will be primaried. The D/R is not afraid of a R/D coming at them, but their own party.

    Do we, the people, have control over this? Technically yes, but in practice, not really.
    There are only two possibilities; one is that we are alone in the universe, the other is that we are not.
    Both are terrifying.

Members who have read this thread: 48

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Search:     Advanced Search
Search HELP

| Home | Help | Contact Us | About somd.com | Privacy | Advertising | Sponsors | Newsletter |

| What's New | What's Cool | Top Rated | Add A Link | Mod a Link |

| Announcements | Bookstore | Cafe | Calendar | Classifieds | Community |
| Culture | Dating | Dining | Education | Employment | Entertainment |
| Forums | Free E-Mail | Games | Gear! | Government | Guestbook | Health | Marketplace | Mortgage | News |
| Organizations | Photos | Real Estate | Relocation | Sports | Survey | Travel | Wiki | Weather | Worship |