Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13

Thread: 'They Had The Prayers Shot Right Out Of Them'

  1. #1
    INGSOC GURPS's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Peoples Republic Of Maryland
    Posts
    33,405

    'They Had The Prayers Shot Right Out Of Them'

    Michael McKean's Grotesque Response To Texas: 'They Had The Prayers Shot Right Out Of Them'


    Actor Michael McKean, most famous for his role in This Is Spinal Tap as well as other Christopher Guest films, tweeted a grotesque response to the mass shooting in Sutherland Springs, Texas, that left 26 people dead and 20 others wounded at the hands of what former classmates have described as an anti-Christian atheist.

    Though social media has erupted with scores of leftists mocking the faithful's declarations of "hopes and prayers," McKean's mockery takes the contempt to a new low.

    Responding to House Speaker Paul Ryan's request that people give the victims in Texas their "prayers right now," McKean wrote: "They were in church. They had the prayers shot right out of them. Maybe try something else."



    Weíre tempted to suggest a conspiracy here ó but itís just liberals agreeing yet again that conservatives have hidden, evil motives, because modern liberals simply canít conceive of any other reason to disagree with the liberal consensus.

  2. #2
    Wow. So disappointing. I will not be watching Food: Fact or Fiction, anymore; one of my fave shows. I have enjoyed him since the days of Laverne and Shirley. Oh, well.

    Yes, people are entitled to their own opinions, but I dismiss those opinions when they are vile, disgusting, and uncalled for. See ya, Michael!
    ​​Like I said. JMO, yo! - Roman
    If you ignore the trolls, they starve. - Wishbone

  3. #3
    Registered User DEEKAYPEE8569's Avatar
    Member Since
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Suthin' Merlin
    Posts
    10,366
    Quote Originally Posted by GURPS View Post
    Michael McKean's Grotesque Response To Texas: 'They Had The Prayers Shot Right Out Of Them'


    Actor Michael McKean, most famous for his role in This Is Spinal Tap as well as other Christopher Guest films, tweeted a grotesque response to the mass shooting in Sutherland Springs, Texas, that left 26 people dead and 20 others wounded at the hands of what former classmates have described as an anti-Christian atheist.

    Though social media has erupted with scores of leftists mocking the faithful's declarations of "hopes and prayers," McKean's mockery takes the contempt to a new low.

    Responding to House Speaker Paul Ryan's request that people give the victims in Texas their "prayers right now," McKean wrote: "They were in church. They had the prayers shot right out of them. Maybe try something else."
    What a putz thing to say.....
    If all you are gonna do is give me grief about what I post DON'T READ IT Heh? Have a nice day :-D

  4. #4
    People that harbor hate towards others because of what they believe, are too blinded by that hate to actually FEEL compassion. Their hate just won't allow it.

    Now, I would never do this or never suggest anyone else do it, so I am being completely hypothetical; but I would suspect that if someone were to hold a gun to McKean's head threatening to blow his brains out, he'd get on his knees and plead not to be killed. And the reply should be "Maybe you should try something else".
    "Never let the old man in." - Clint Eastwood quoting an old friend

  5. #5
    Board Mommy vraiblonde's Avatar
    Member Since
    Mar 2001
    Location
    Off the grid
    Posts
    117,929
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by GURPS View Post
    Responding to House Speaker Paul Ryan's request that people give the victims in Texas their "prayers right now," McKean wrote: "They were in church. They had the prayers shot right out of them. Maybe try something else."
    In context, I have a different impression of what he said. It's still stupid, but the clipped tweet makes it sound malicious and evil, like he's being gleeful, while in context it just sounds clunky and dumb. Honestly, they have a point, but their method of expression could be less hostile.
    "Too much agreement kills a chat."
    ~Eldridge Cleaver

  6. 11-07-2017, 03:46 AM

  7. 11-07-2017, 04:58 AM

  8. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by vraiblonde View Post
    In context, I have a different impression of what he said. It's still stupid, but the clipped tweet makes it sound malicious and evil, like he's being gleeful, while in context it just sounds clunky and dumb. Honestly, they have a point, but their method of expression could be less hostile.
    Not sure they have a point. Bad things happen. Prayer is not a shielding cloak from bad things happening. Being a Christian (or any other religion) does not shield you from bad things happening. There is no such thing as good without bad, so the better you want things, the worse other things will be. The only way for there to be a full right is for there to be a full left, y'know?

    So, the calls for prayers are calls for others to humble themselves, assist (you know, the Lord helps those who help themselves) the families, respect their personal tragedies, offer positive emotions towards the souls of the dead, hope for rapid recovery of the ill and injured, etc.

    So, no, they really don't have a point at all. These people are being nothing but rude azzholes, condescending and self-righteous in their lack of belief, and sending out horrific negative emotions.
    There are only two possibilities; one is that we are alone in the universe, the other is that we are not.
    Both are terrifying.

  9. #7
    Board Mommy vraiblonde's Avatar
    Member Since
    Mar 2001
    Location
    Off the grid
    Posts
    117,929
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by This_person View Post
    Not sure they have a point.
    They kind of do. Calling for prayers for people who were praying and worshiping God when they were killed is fairly ironic.

    These people are being nothing but rude azzholes, condescending and self-righteous in their lack of belief, and sending out horrific negative emotions.
    Agree. Calling Paul Ryan, of whom I am not a fan, a bunch of filthy names while mocking Christianity pretty much tells you who these people are. If they wanted to have a substantive discussion about the irony of the situation - which they didn't, they just wanted to spew venom and be aholes - there was a more mature way of doing it.

    It's a sickness with these people. Maybe they all have syphilis from screwing each other and their brains are rotting. It's a shame to see public figures go down this ugly path, it's like watching someone devolve into mental illness right before your eyes.
    "Too much agreement kills a chat."
    ~Eldridge Cleaver

  10. #8
    Board Mommy vraiblonde's Avatar
    Member Since
    Mar 2001
    Location
    Off the grid
    Posts
    117,929
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by This_person View Post
    Prayer is not a shielding cloak from bad things happening.
    But it's billed as such, don't you agree? Got a problem? Pray about it. Want something? Pray for it. I've been hearing that since I was a small child. "I pray that nothing bad happens." "I pray for their safety." How many times have you heard someone say that? I passed infinity years ago.

    But I DON'T want to get sucked into defending these jerks because their ignorant remarks are indefensible. I'm more interested in religious concepts than celebretards and their hate spew.
    "Too much agreement kills a chat."
    ~Eldridge Cleaver

  11. #9
    INGSOC GURPS's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Peoples Republic Of Maryland
    Posts
    33,405
    Quote Originally Posted by vraiblonde View Post
    But it's billed as such, don't you agree? - That Would Be The Wrong Way

    Got a problem?

    Pray about it. - yes Prayer should bring you closer to GOD, which should be comforting

    Want something?

    Pray for it. - Def WRONG - GOD is NOT An ATM

    I've been hearing that since I was a small child. "I pray that nothing bad happens." "I pray for their safety." - Again the Comfort Thing

    How many times have you heard someone say that? I passed infinity years ago.
    GOD Never Promised being a Christian would free one from Temptation / Sin / Persecution - if anything Christians are Attacked more [physically / spiritually]
    Weíre tempted to suggest a conspiracy here ó but itís just liberals agreeing yet again that conservatives have hidden, evil motives, because modern liberals simply canít conceive of any other reason to disagree with the liberal consensus.

  12. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by vraiblonde View Post
    But it's billed as such, don't you agree? Got a problem? Pray about it. Want something? Pray for it. I've been hearing that since I was a small child. "I pray that nothing bad happens." "I pray for their safety." How many times have you heard someone say that? I passed infinity years ago.

    But I DON'T want to get sucked into defending these jerks because their ignorant remarks are indefensible. I'm more interested in religious concepts than celebretards and their hate spew.
    I never thought you were trying to defend them!

    I think it can be billed as such, or at least perceived that way. One needs to learn how to pray, what one is praying for and to Whom they are praying. To a kid, it sounds like you're talking to Santa and will get things if you're just good and ask nicely. And, a lot (maybe most?) parents don't really go too far to dissuade that perception over the years - often because they weren't really taught better.

    As Gurps said above, prayer is to bring one closer to God. In the process, one is often closer to themselves.

    Prayer is never about getting things externally changed. In my opinion, a Christian does not ask God to change the situation; a Christian understands God put us in a situation to change us. We pray for the support of God while we change ourselves, show (or build) our strengths based on the situation, and for God's love and mercy for (in a situation like this) the fallen and injured. To an atheist, one can equate prayer with meditation. That is to say, prayer is often a time to clear one's mind, become at peace with a situation, and reach into the inner self.
    There are only two possibilities; one is that we are alone in the universe, the other is that we are not.
    Both are terrifying.

Members who have read this thread: 52

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Search:     Advanced Search
Search HELP

| Home | Help | Contact Us | About somd.com | Privacy | Advertising | Sponsors | Newsletter |

| What's New | What's Cool | Top Rated | Add A Link | Mod a Link |

| Announcements | Bookstore | Cafe | Calendar | Classifieds | Community |
| Culture | Dating | Dining | Education | Employment | Entertainment |
| Forums | Free E-Mail | Games | Gear! | Government | Guestbook | Health | Marketplace | Mortgage | News |
| Organizations | Photos | Real Estate | Relocation | Sports | Survey | Travel | Wiki | Weather | Worship |