Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 'They Had The Prayers Shot Right Out Of Them'

Quote Originally Posted by This_person View Post
    Prayer is never about getting things externally changed. In my opinion, a Christian does not ask God to change the situation; a Christian understands God put us in a situation to change us. We pray for the support of God while we change ourselves, show (or build) our strengths based on the situation, and for God's love and mercy for (in a situation like this) the fallen and injured. To an atheist, one can equate prayer with meditation. That is to say, prayer is often a time to clear one's mind, become at peace with a situation, and reach into the inner self.

Lord Grant Me The Strength To Endure These Trials and Tribulations ......
    We’re tempted to suggest a conspiracy here — but it’s just liberals agreeing yet again that conservatives have hidden, evil motives, because modern liberals simply can’t conceive of any other reason to disagree with the liberal consensus.

Quote Originally Posted by This_person View Post
    I never thought you were trying to defend them!

I think it can be billed as such, or at least perceived that way. One needs to learn how to pray, what one is praying for and to Whom they are praying. To a kid, it sounds like you're talking to Santa and will get things if you're just good and ask nicely. And, a lot (maybe most?) parents don't really go too far to dissuade that perception over the years - often because they weren't really taught better.

As Gurps said above, prayer is to bring one closer to God. In the process, one is often closer to themselves.

Prayer is never about getting things externally changed. In my opinion, a Christian does not ask God to change the situation; a Christian understands God put us in a situation to change us. We pray for the support of God while we change ourselves, show (or build) our strengths based on the situation, and for God's love and mercy for (in a situation like this) the fallen and injured. To an atheist, one can equate prayer with meditation. That is to say, prayer is often a time to clear one's mind, become at peace with a situation, and reach into the inner self.
    Many people are atheists today who prayed yesterday and didn't get an answer.
    Praying for people who have terminal Cancer should mean you are hoping they go out peacefully without the pain of the disease.
    I have never seen a miracle, but I know miraculous things sometimes happen.
    If it is calming and soothing to one's mind to pray, why should I make fun of their doing so.
    If they believe in God why should I try to destroy their faith by tearing down their cross.
    It isn't really hurting anyone and though the atheist says it is offensive, it really isn't
    It is something they can simply ignore if they wish to.
    But they don't wish to. They do not believe and wish to destroy the beliefs of others.

Sorry I got off a little there on the atheists who want crosses down.
    In truth prayers may be a waste of time, but it's their time to waste, and if it makes them feel they are doing something right and good
    How can that be wrong.?

Sadly, as to be expected in this day and age, scorn and mockery, as well as accusations that Christians are only feigning concern, were lobbed at those promising prayer. This time around, many of the scoffers claimed that since the tragedy took place in a church, this is proof that prayer doesn’t work. In other words, considering that prayer was undoubtedly a large part of First Baptist Church of Sutherland Springs’ worship service, God would’ve stopped the shooting if prayer actually worked.

That charge belies the actual darkness and rebellion that lies in the hearts of the scoffers.

Christians do not believe that God is a magic genie who grants wishes. Nor do we believe that God is a friendly grandpa in the sky waiting to dole out favors to those who would just ask. Likewise, Christian theology does not allow room for a God who can be manipulated by the words of humans.

God never promised His people a “get out of jail free” card in reference to pain and suffering. In fact, in His sovereign wisdom, God often uses trials to sanctify His people and make them more like Jesus for His glory.

https://pjmedia.com/faith/mock-praye...rebellion-god/
    We’re tempted to suggest a conspiracy here — but it’s just liberals agreeing yet again that conservatives have hidden, evil motives, because modern liberals simply can’t conceive of any other reason to disagree with the liberal consensus.

Members who have read this thread: 52