'They Had The Prayers Shot Right Out Of Them'

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Michael McKean's Grotesque Response To Texas: 'They Had The Prayers Shot Right Out Of Them'

Actor Michael McKean, most famous for his role in This Is Spinal Tap as well as other Christopher Guest films, tweeted a grotesque response to the mass shooting in Sutherland Springs, Texas, that left 26 people dead and 20 others wounded at the hands of what former classmates have described as an anti-Christian atheist.

Though social media has erupted with scores of leftists mocking the faithful's declarations of "hopes and prayers," McKean's mockery takes the contempt to a new low.

Responding to House Speaker Paul Ryan's request that people give the victims in Texas their "prayers right now," McKean wrote: "They were in church. They had the prayers shot right out of them. Maybe try something else."

[TWITTER]https://twitter.com/wilw/status/927284357609353218?[/TWITTER]

[TWITTER]https://twitter.com/AoDespair/status/927317495723298816?[/TWITTER]

littlelady

God bless the USA
Wow. So disappointing. I will not be watching Food: Fact or Fiction, anymore; one of my fave shows. I have enjoyed him since the days of Laverne and Shirley. Oh, well.

Yes, people are entitled to their own opinions, but I dismiss those opinions when they are vile, disgusting, and uncalled for. See ya, Michael!

DEEKAYPEE8569

Michael McKean's Grotesque Response To Texas: 'They Had The Prayers Shot Right Out Of Them'

Actor Michael McKean, most famous for his role in This Is Spinal Tap as well as other Christopher Guest films, tweeted a grotesque response to the mass shooting in Sutherland Springs, Texas, that left 26 people dead and 20 others wounded at the hands of what former classmates have described as an anti-Christian atheist.

Though social media has erupted with scores of leftists mocking the faithful's declarations of "hopes and prayers," McKean's mockery takes the contempt to a new low.

Responding to House Speaker Paul Ryan's request that people give the victims in Texas their "prayers right now," McKean wrote: "They were in church. They had the prayers shot right out of them. Maybe try something else."
What a putz thing to say.....

PsyOps

Pixelated
People that harbor hate towards others because of what they believe, are too blinded by that hate to actually FEEL compassion. Their hate just won't allow it.

Now, I would never do this or never suggest anyone else do it, so I am being completely hypothetical; but I would suspect that if someone were to hold a gun to McKean's head threatening to blow his brains out, he'd get on his knees and plead not to be killed. And the reply should be "Maybe you should try something else".

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron

In context, I have a different impression of what he said. It's still stupid, but the clipped tweet makes it sound malicious and evil, like he's being gleeful, while in context it just sounds clunky and dumb. Honestly, they have a point, but their method of expression could be less hostile.

This_person

In context, I have a different impression of what he said. It's still stupid, but the clipped tweet makes it sound malicious and evil, like he's being gleeful, while in context it just sounds clunky and dumb. Honestly, they have a point, but their method of expression could be less hostile.

Not sure they have a point. Bad things happen. Prayer is not a shielding cloak from bad things happening. Being a Christian (or any other religion) does not shield you from bad things happening. There is no such thing as good without bad, so the better you want things, the worse other things will be. The only way for there to be a full right is for there to be a full left, y'know?

So, the calls for prayers are calls for others to humble themselves, assist (you know, the Lord helps those who help themselves) the families, respect their personal tragedies, offer positive emotions towards the souls of the dead, hope for rapid recovery of the ill and injured, etc.

So, no, they really don't have a point at all. These people are being nothing but rude azzholes, condescending and self-righteous in their lack of belief, and sending out horrific negative emotions.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Not sure they have a point.

They kind of do. Calling for prayers for people who were praying and worshiping God when they were killed is fairly ironic.

These people are being nothing but rude azzholes, condescending and self-righteous in their lack of belief, and sending out horrific negative emotions.

Agree. Calling Paul Ryan, of whom I am not a fan, a bunch of filthy names while mocking Christianity pretty much tells you who these people are. If they wanted to have a substantive discussion about the irony of the situation - which they didn't, they just wanted to spew venom and be aholes - there was a more mature way of doing it.

It's a sickness with these people. Maybe they all have syphilis from screwing each other and their brains are rotting. It's a shame to see public figures go down this ugly path, it's like watching someone devolve into mental illness right before your eyes.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Prayer is not a shielding cloak from bad things happening.

But it's billed as such, don't you agree? Got a problem? Pray about it. Want something? Pray for it. I've been hearing that since I was a small child. "I pray that nothing bad happens." "I pray for their safety." How many times have you heard someone say that? I passed infinity years ago.

But I DON'T want to get sucked into defending these jerks because their ignorant remarks are indefensible. I'm more interested in religious concepts than celebretards and their hate spew.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
But it's billed as such, don't you agree? - That Would Be The Wrong Way

Got a problem?

Pray about it. - yes Prayer should bring you closer to GOD, which should be comforting

Want something?

Pray for it. - Def WRONG - GOD is NOT An ATM

I've been hearing that since I was a small child. "I pray that nothing bad happens." "I pray for their safety." - Again the Comfort Thing

How many times have you heard someone say that? I passed infinity years ago.

GOD Never Promised being a Christian would free one from Temptation / Sin / Persecution - if anything Christians are Attacked more [physically / spiritually]

This_person

But it's billed as such, don't you agree? Got a problem? Pray about it. Want something? Pray for it. I've been hearing that since I was a small child. "I pray that nothing bad happens." "I pray for their safety." How many times have you heard someone say that? I passed infinity years ago.

But I DON'T want to get sucked into defending these jerks because their ignorant remarks are indefensible. I'm more interested in religious concepts than celebretards and their hate spew.

I never thought you were trying to defend them! :huggy:

I think it can be billed as such, or at least perceived that way. One needs to learn how to pray, what one is praying for and to Whom they are praying. To a kid, it sounds like you're talking to Santa and will get things if you're just good and ask nicely. And, a lot (maybe most?) parents don't really go too far to dissuade that perception over the years - often because they weren't really taught better.

As Gurps said above, prayer is to bring one closer to God. In the process, one is often closer to themselves.

Prayer is never about getting things externally changed. In my opinion, a Christian does not ask God to change the situation; a Christian understands God put us in a situation to change us. We pray for the support of God while we change ourselves, show (or build) our strengths based on the situation, and for God's love and mercy for (in a situation like this) the fallen and injured. To an atheist, one can equate prayer with meditation. That is to say, prayer is often a time to clear one's mind, become at peace with a situation, and reach into the inner self.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Prayer is never about getting things externally changed. In my opinion, a Christian does not ask God to change the situation; a Christian understands God put us in a situation to change us. We pray for the support of God while we change ourselves, show (or build) our strengths based on the situation, and for God's love and mercy for (in a situation like this) the fallen and injured. To an atheist, one can equate prayer with meditation. That is to say, prayer is often a time to clear one's mind, become at peace with a situation, and reach into the inner self.

Lord Grant Me The Strength To Endure These Trials and Tribulations ......

Hijinx

I never thought you were trying to defend them! :huggy:

I think it can be billed as such, or at least perceived that way. One needs to learn how to pray, what one is praying for and to Whom they are praying. To a kid, it sounds like you're talking to Santa and will get things if you're just good and ask nicely. And, a lot (maybe most?) parents don't really go too far to dissuade that perception over the years - often because they weren't really taught better.

As Gurps said above, prayer is to bring one closer to God. In the process, one is often closer to themselves.

Many people are atheists today who prayed yesterday and didn't get an answer.
Praying for people who have terminal Cancer should mean you are hoping they go out peacefully without the pain of the disease.
I have never seen a miracle, but I know miraculous things sometimes happen.
If it is calming and soothing to one's mind to pray, why should I make fun of their doing so.
If they believe in God why should I try to destroy their faith by tearing down their cross.
It isn't really hurting anyone and though the atheist says it is offensive, it really isn't
It is something they can simply ignore if they wish to.
But they don't wish to. They do not believe and wish to destroy the beliefs of others.

Sorry I got off a little there on the atheists who want crosses down.
In truth prayers may be a waste of time, but it's their time to waste, and if it makes them feel they are doing something right and good
How can that be wrong.?

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Sadly, as to be expected in this day and age, scorn and mockery, as well as accusations that Christians are only feigning concern, were lobbed at those promising prayer. This time around, many of the scoffers claimed that since the tragedy took place in a church, this is proof that prayer doesn’t work. In other words, considering that prayer was undoubtedly a large part of First Baptist Church of Sutherland Springs’ worship service, God would’ve stopped the shooting if prayer actually worked.

That charge belies the actual darkness and rebellion that lies in the hearts of the scoffers.

Christians do not believe that God is a magic genie who grants wishes. Nor do we believe that God is a friendly grandpa in the sky waiting to dole out favors to those who would just ask. Likewise, Christian theology does not allow room for a God who can be manipulated by the words of humans.

God never promised His people a “get out of jail free” card in reference to pain and suffering. In fact, in His sovereign wisdom, God often uses trials to sanctify His people and make them more like Jesus for His glory.

https://pjmedia.com/faith/mock-prayer-tragedies-flaunt-rebellion-god/