Joshua 22 Seven years indentured

seekeroftruth

Joshua 22:1 Then Joshua summoned the Reubenites, the Gadites and the half-tribe of Manasseh 2 and said to them, “You have done all that Moses the servant of the Lord commanded, and you have obeyed me in everything I commanded. 3 For a long time now—to this very day—you have not deserted your fellow Israelites but have carried out the mission the Lord your God gave you. 4 Now that the Lord your God has given them rest as he promised, return to your homes in the land that Moses the servant of the Lord gave you on the other side of the Jordan. 5 But be very careful to keep the commandment and the law that Moses the servant of the Lord gave you: to love the Lord your God, to walk in obedience to him, to keep his commands, to hold fast to him and to serve him with all your heart and with all your soul.”

6 Then Joshua blessed them and sent them away, and they went to their homes. 7 (To the half-tribe of Manasseh Moses had given land in Bashan, and to the other half of the tribe Joshua gave land on the west side of the Jordan along with their fellow Israelites.) When Joshua sent them home, he blessed them, 8 saying, “Return to your homes with your great wealth—with large herds of livestock, with silver, gold, bronze and iron, and a great quantity of clothing—and divide the plunder from your enemies with your fellow Israelites.”​

The commentary this morning is from bibletrack.org.

Gad, Reuben and half of Manasseh chose land east of the Jordan. They had promised Moses to fight with the remaining tribes to secure their land west of the Jordan back in Numbers 32 . Now that the fighting is over, Joshua releases them from their obligation, and they head home to the east side of Jordan River. So, how long has it been since they've been away from home fighting on behalf of the other tribes? Well, we don't know exactly, but we did get an estimate back in Joshua 14:6-15 where we see that the conquest had taken around seven years up to that point.​

In 1642 my great great great whatever grandfather came to the US as an indentured servant. He agreed to work for his solicitor for a specific amount of time. At the end of the agreement, my great great great whatever grandfather received his freedom and quite a nice portion of land. My family came in through Maryland, according to the historical account and worked in what is now St. Mary's and Charles County. I wonder if the agreement with the transjordanian agreement was the pattern for that agreement.

:coffee:

Joshua 22:1 Then Joshua summoned the Reubenites, the Gadites and the half-tribe of Manasseh 2 and said to them, “You have done all that Moses the servant of the Lord commanded, and you have obeyed me in everything I commanded. 3 For a long time now—to this very day—you have not deserted your fellow Israelites but have carried out the mission the Lord your God gave you. 4 Now that the Lord your God has given them rest as he promised, return to your homes in the land that Moses the servant of the Lord gave you on the other side of the Jordan. 5 But be very careful to keep the commandment and the law that Moses the servant of the Lord gave you: to love the Lord your God, to walk in obedience to him, to keep his commands, to hold fast to him and to serve him with all your heart and with all your soul.”

6 Then Joshua blessed them and sent them away, and they went to their homes. 7 (To the half-tribe of Manasseh Moses had given land in Bashan, and to the other half of the tribe Joshua gave land on the west side of the Jordan along with their fellow Israelites.) When Joshua sent them home, he blessed them, 8 saying, “Return to your homes with your great wealth—with large herds of livestock, with silver, gold, bronze and iron, and a great quantity of clothing—and divide the plunder from your enemies with your fellow Israelites.”​

The commentary this morning is from bibletrack.org.

Gad, Reuben and half of Manasseh chose land east of the Jordan. They had promised Moses to fight with the remaining tribes to secure their land west of the Jordan back in Numbers 32 . Now that the fighting is over, Joshua releases them from their obligation, and they head home to the east side of Jordan River. So, how long has it been since they've been away from home fighting on behalf of the other tribes? Well, we don't know exactly, but we did get an estimate back in Joshua 14:6-15 where we see that the conquest had taken around seven years up to that point.​

In 1642 my great great great whatever grandfather came to the US as an indentured servant. He agreed to work for his solicitor for a specific amount of time. At the end of the agreement, my great great great whatever grandfather received his freedom and quite a nice portion of land. My family came in through Maryland, according to the historical account and worked in what is now St. Mary's and Charles County. I wonder if the agreement with the transjordanian agreement was the pattern for that agreement.

:coffee:

On tough days at work it is nice to be reminded that we will have our rest in the Lord. I thank you for doing this each day, because the Old Testament is usually not something that I am driven to read outside of certain books like Isaiah, Daniel, Proverbs, and Psalms. Joshua is one of the books that I have read, but don't remember much about besides the Walls of Jericho. Of course, I'm a baby Christian, so I'm hoping prayer will help discern meaning in books that don't interest me as much at face value.