Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: But YOU Cannot Have FireArms

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin99 View Post
    Let me answer your question with a question, was the eighteenth amendment a good idea?
    Let me answer your question with a question; what is your objection to it?

Visualize whirled peas Merlin99's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by This_person View Post
    Let me answer your question with a question; what is your objection to it?
    My objection to the eighteenth amendment? It was doomed to failure from the very beginning, the very people who passed it ignored it from the first day. It gave rise to organized crime that continues until today. It made criminals out of millions of people for what was in essence a social experiment.
    ‎"I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake"

My objection to the eighteenth amendment? It was doomed to failure from the very beginning, the very people who passed it ignored it from the first day. It gave rise to organized crime that continues until today. It made criminals out of millions of people for what was in essence a social experiment.
    :like:
    ​​Like I said. JMO, yo! - Roman
    If you ignore the trolls, they starve. - Wishbone

Ok, I'm going to slightly reword your answer in a respectful way to try and capture what I understand, and see if it is what you mean; "People are going to partake of the substance anyway, so there's no reality in making a law to stop them." You also talked about the organized crime that came from it, but that's really a result of "people are going to do the thing anyway", right?
    There are only two possibilities; one is that we are alone in the universe, the other is that we are not.
    Both are terrifying.

Visualize whirled peas Merlin99's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by This_person View Post
    Ok, I'm going to slightly reword your answer in a respectful way to try and capture what I understand, and see if it is what you mean; "People are going to partake of the substance anyway, so there's no reality in making a law to stop them." You also talked about the organized crime that came from it, but that's really a result of "people are going to do the thing anyway", right?
    Organized crime was a given. Any time you leave a vacuum in the carnal desire chain someone is going to step in to fill it. The more the legal system tries to stop it, the higher the profit margin. The higher the profit margin the more ruthless the supplier is going to get. And yes, people are going to do it anyways, for every outlawed vice there's been a workaround within the day.
    ‎"I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake"

Organized crime was a given. Any time you leave a vacuum in the carnal desire chain someone is going to step in to fill it. The more the legal system tries to stop it, the higher the profit margin. The higher the profit margin the more ruthless the supplier is going to get. And yes, people are going to do it anyways, for every outlawed vice there's been a workaround within the day.
    So, people continue to murder, rape, speed, use heroin, and embezzle. Should we remove those laws against these things as well?

I'm not trying to be antagonistic here. I'm just saying that, "because people will do it anyway" does not seem to be a viable reason for the law to be a bad idea. If that is the issue, have a good plan to fight people's actions. In the case of the 18th or drugs, the war should have been on the people (not the suppliers).

In my personal opinion, I believe the laws are bad simply because freedom supersedes federal government control. The problem that I have is that people should be able to decide for themselves. But, we know these things can cause great damage to others as well. I have no problem with a company saying that they will drug test you, and taking a position is tantamount to agreement to not do drugs. Because, other companies won't do that. I have argued these laws are acceptable in the past, but I am leaning far more towards these laws not being appropriate.

I have a huge problem with state laws that are counter to the federal laws. That flies in teh face of us being a nation of laws vice a nation of men. But, the issue is to fix the federal laws, not just ignore them.
    There are only two possibilities; one is that we are alone in the universe, the other is that we are not.
    Both are terrifying.

Members who have read this thread: 45