Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: I love America

Quote Originally Posted by Sapidus View Post
    So i am now going to take that tact from here on out. I am not going to trow insults. I am going to ask why people believe the things they believe and see if they can question long held beliefs.
    What objective quality evidence do you have that Ms. Silverman is not still the same type of person she has been? Have you seen or read about an episode where she is with someone with whom she has a very large differentiation in her belief to the guest, and they talk calmly and respectfully and part on a good tone? Do you have a link to that episode?
    There are only two possibilities; one is that we are alone in the universe, the other is that we are not.
    Both are terrifying.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris0nllyn View Post
    I think many people share common beliefs but tend to focus on the differences. The internet allows people to say things they normally wouldn't and especially to those who they deem different or who don't share identical beliefs.

Listening is good, not throwing insults to random people on the internet is also good, but you should criticize. You should challenge other people's positions but do it gracefully or you'll simply be shut down because, again, this is the internet. No one is forced to come up with an answer right then and there as if you were talking in person so if a question is asked or a point is brought up challenging the other person's beliefs they have the option to simply "walk away" and not answer or follow up the point/question. You should also be willing to have your own beliefs and positions questioned and be prepared to defend them if it's something you truly believe. If you're just tossing out random thoughts that aren't based on any sort of reality you're not helping yourself or anyone who is willing to listen and perhaps change their own ideas.

That being said, you sure won't find many on here who will engage in honest discourse. You find find many willing to engage in honest debate and you won;t find many here who are going to change their minds.
    Well if this thread is anything to go by you are certainly right that no one is willing to engage in honest debate. Just look at the responses from people who haven't even watched a single episode. Everyone making childless insults or jumping on the defensive with no knowledge. Its a pretty accurate slice of how political and social debates are now handled.

It's pretty sad. Even though i don't agree with many conservative sources i try to at least read, watch or understand their positions.
    Last edited by Sapidus; 11-07-2017 at 02:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by This_person View Post
    What objective quality evidence do you have that Ms. Silverman is not still the same type of person she has been? Have you seen or read about an episode where she is with someone with whom she has a very large differentiation in her belief to the guest, and they talk calmly and respectfully and part on a good tone? Do you have a link to that episode?
    Yes. I have watched 3 episodes. One of which she meets a family in Louisiana who all voted for Trump. She hangs out with them and finds common ground. She then meets with a group of fireman and tries to find things they have in common. That one delves into scatological humor but at the end I would say the all agree that thy have found common ground as people first and political viewpoints second.

Hulu is a paid service so I can't link to it unless you have a PayPal account.

Here is an episode on Youtube. Skip to 11:00 minutes to see where she meets with the Louisiana family

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UDFfIGXu3PU

Quote Originally Posted by Chris0nllyn View Post

That being said, you sure won't find many on here who will engage in honest discourse. You find find many willing to engage in honest debate and you won;t find many here who are going to change their minds.
    Sounds like it really sucks to be on here.

If we were you.

You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline. It helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer. -Frank Zappa

Well if this thread is anything to go by you are certainly right that no one is willing to engage in honest debate.
    Untrue, most will engage in honest debate but your reputation precedes this thread. If folks see a change in your posts/attitude, you might be surprised.

It's pretty sad. Even though i don't agree with many conservative sources i try to at least read, watch or understand their positions.

Weíre tempted to suggest a conspiracy here ó but itís just liberals agreeing yet again that conservatives have hidden, evil motives, because modern liberals simply canít conceive of any other reason to disagree with the liberal consensus.

Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
    Untrue, most will engage in honest debate but your reputation precedes this thread. If folks see a change in your posts/attitude, you might be surprised.
    ^that
    "It must be inordinately taxing to be such a boob."
    The Brain

Blog Entries
    She said the change in her came about because of his willingness to listen and not criticize or judge. So i am now going to take that tact from here on out. I am not going to trow insults. I am going to ask why people believe the things they believe and see if they can question long held beliefs.
    Many people can benefit from this approach. I look forward to discussing issue with you.
    "Is Uncle Monello homeless?"

Monello thinks he is king of the forum, now. Just keep that in mind.
    What bad thing did you do?

Quote Originally Posted by Monello View Post
    Many people can benefit from this approach. I look forward to discussing issue with you.
    As do I

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by HenryEarlIII View Post
    Dude, where've you been?
    "Is Uncle Monello homeless?"

Monello thinks he is king of the forum, now. Just keep that in mind.
    What bad thing did you do?

Members who have read this thread: 82