I love America

Sapidus

I encourage everyone here with HULU to watch an episode of Sarah Silverman's new show I love America.

Her goal is to find common ground with people with differing views on religion, gay marriage, politics, BLM and many other issues that are dividing our country at the moment.

The part i found most interesting was her interview with Meghan Phelps roper formerly of the Westboro baptist Church. She was a strong believer in the beliefs of her church and picketed soldiers funerals and held GOD Hates Fags signs for the time she was 3 years old.

When she became the director of social media for the church she was attacked online daily and made fun of. One person engaged with her in a rational mannered way and questioned her beliefs and talked hem out with her. After talking to this person for over a year online she ended up laving the church and marrying the man.

She said the change in her came about because of his willingness to listen and not criticize or judge. So i am now going to take that tact from here on out. I am not going to trow insults. I am going to ask why people believe the things they believe and see if they can question long held beliefs.

Here is an a piece of the review

" She spoke to Megan Phelps-Roper, formerly of the Westboro Baptist Church, now (I quote from Wikipedia) “a social media activist, lobbying to overcome divisions and hatred between religious and political divides.” That simultaneously sounds like a job that doesn’t exist, a job that should exist, and one of the worst jobs on earth. The conversation went to unexpected places. A convert from Westboro’s doctrine, Phelps-Roper said that extremists “generally are not psychopaths. They’re psychologically normal people who’ve been persuaded by bad ideas.”

She recalled celebrating 9/11 and Hurricane Katrina and all human tragedies, tried to explain how it felt to see everyone outside the church as “inherently evil.” The conversation turned, lightly, to Charlottesville, which Silverman and Phelps-Roper both treated as a somewhat generic example of extremism. And the conversation turned to Twitter: Phelps-Roper described how she started to doubt her family’s teaching once she joined the social media service, and even wound up married to someone Silverman described as “your Twitter troll!”

http://ew.com/tv/2017/10/12/sarah-silverman-i-love-you-america-hulu/

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
I encourage everyone here with HULU to watch an episode of Sarah Silverman's new show I love America.

No Surprise There ....

Silverman is another whiney pretentious Hollywood Liberal
she never looks for common ground, and constantly trashes anyone that doesn't share her views

Sarah Silverman calls for military overthrow of ‘fascist’ Donald Trump

Comedian Sarah Silverman Mocks Jesus, Christian Values, and GOP in New Netflix Promo (Video)

Sarah Silverman defends her Christmas tweet about Jesus being 'gender fluid': 'To me, it's funny, beautiful, and true that He is all of us'

YOU and Sarah Silverman

finger.jpg

Sarah Silverman’s liberal bubble
What “I Love You, America” gets right and wrong about liberal-conservative relations.

What if Silverman were to have such a conversation with a fellow woman working in Hollywood? People who have different views but also share her or her presumed audience’s current circumstances and past experiences remain unaddressed, perhaps because they are harder to tolerate. The nationwide unfriending and blocking spree that occurred during the election is evidence enough of that, but the show’s premise erases those people who disagree and are closer to home, even if the its mission statement presents them as just as deserving of being heard. Silverman is right in admitting that she is in a liberal bubble, but that bubble is a mindset, not a physical region. I’ve spent my life in blue state liberal bubbles, but I still have ex-classmates who migrated to New York and Los Angeles and, yes, voted for Trump. I know even more people who voted for Hillary, but still hold regressive views on race, class, gender, and sexuality. Silverman claims that familiarity can prevent the wounds caused by disagreement, but sometimes that familiarity makes those disagreements even harder to understand. Familiarity can reveal the difficult truth that you may not be as distant from what you fear as you previously believed.

In an interview with Vulture, Silverman said Michelle Obama’s comments that women who voted against Hillary Clinton voted against their own interests were “not her cup of tea” (despite talking out her frustration, at the end of the show’s official song, with voters who dare call her ‘Hollywood elite’ while voting for “rich ####s”), perhaps getting to the heart of how hard it can be to critique those who you disagree with, but are otherwise closely related to. Considering 52 percent of white women voted for Donald Trump as well as almost a third of California’s overall population, it’s not a stretch to say that Silverman probably knows at least one woman Trump voter within what she calls her “liberal bubble.”

Sarah Silverman's 'I Love You, America' Promo Insults Cops, Conservatives, Red States
"You know, sometimes I get really, really mad at you"

Knowing that her rants against conservatives have earned her the label of "Hollywood elitist," Silverman turns the tables on her critics toward the end.

"You know, sometimes I get really, really mad at you and the stupid #### that you do," Silverman tells America. "How you vote for these rich ####s that lie to your faces and then systematically rape you of your rights and your job and your health care, and then you call me 'Hollywood elite.' Dude, I'm from ####ing New Hampshire. And you're mad at me for wanting the best for you and getting pissed when you vote against your best interest? I'm caring about you, I'm condescending to you."

Silverman's Hulu show will supposedly feature her traveling through various parts of the U.S. speaking to people outside the liberal echo chamber. In an interview with USA Today, Silverman said she wants to promote unity.

"The big exposé should be, 'Oh, we’re the same. We love our families. We care about people,' " Silverman said.

She also claims President Trump's election made her relate to those with opposing views.

“I understood what it’s like to be a survivalist, because one of my first thoughts was, ‘I need to buy a gun. I need to be able to protect myself when we go to war with the government,’” she says. “There was that tinge and I went, ‘Oh my God, right! That’s how a lot of people felt during Obama’s administration, where I felt totally safe.'”

Last edited:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron

You mean this Sarah Silverman?

How about the part where she says patriotism makes her uncomfortable:

Yeah, no thanks.

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
Every time I see her or hear her now the only thing that comes to mind is....

"It looks like a firecracker wrapped in roast beef!"

HenryEarlIII

The Earl of Henry

Her goal is to find common ground with people with differing views on religion, gay marriage, politics, BLM and many other issues that are dividing our country at the moment.

The part i found most interesting was her interview with Meghan Phelps roper formerly of the Westboro baptist Church. She was a strong believer in the beliefs of her church and picketed soldiers funerals and held GOD Hates Fags signs for the time she was 3 years old.

When she became the director of social media for the church she was attacked online daily and made fun of. One person engaged with her in a rational mannered way and questioned her beliefs and talked hem out with her. After talking to this person for over a year online she ended up laving the church and marrying the man.

She said the change in her came about because of his willingness to listen and not criticize or judge. So i am now going to take that tact from here on out. I am not going to trow insults. I am going to ask why people believe the things they believe and see if they can question long held beliefs.

" She spoke to Megan Phelps-Roper, formerly of the Westboro Baptist Church, now (I quote from Wikipedia) “a social media activist, lobbying to overcome divisions and hatred between religious and political divides.” That simultaneously sounds like a job that doesn’t exist, a job that should exist, and one of the worst jobs on earth. The conversation went to unexpected places. A convert from Westboro’s doctrine, Phelps-Roper said that extremists “generally are not psychopaths. They’re psychologically normal people who’ve been persuaded by bad ideas.”

She recalled celebrating 9/11 and Hurricane Katrina and all human tragedies, tried to explain how it felt to see everyone outside the church as “inherently evil.” The conversation turned, lightly, to Charlottesville, which Silverman and Phelps-Roper both treated as a somewhat generic example of extremism. And the conversation turned to Twitter: Phelps-Roper described how she started to doubt her family’s teaching once she joined the social media service, and even wound up married to someone Silverman described as “your Twitter troll!”

:bonk:

I stopped reading the OP at "Sarah Silverman". Laughing too hard.

I used to think she was cute and sexy. She's just crude and ill-informed.

Chris0nllyn

I think many people share common beliefs but tend to focus on the differences. The internet allows people to say things they normally wouldn't and especially to those who they deem different or who don't share identical beliefs.

Listening is good, not throwing insults to random people on the internet is also good, but you should criticize. You should challenge other people's positions but do it gracefully or you'll simply be shut down because, again, this is the internet. No one is forced to come up with an answer right then and there as if you were talking in person so if a question is asked or a point is brought up challenging the other person's beliefs they have the option to simply "walk away" and not answer or follow up the point/question. You should also be willing to have your own beliefs and positions questioned and be prepared to defend them if it's something you truly believe. If you're just tossing out random thoughts that aren't based on any sort of reality you're not helping yourself or anyone who is willing to listen and perhaps change their own ideas.

That being said, you sure won't find many on here who will engage in honest discourse. You find find many willing to engage in honest debate and you won;t find many here who are going to change their minds.

This_person

So i am now going to take that tact from here on out. I am not going to trow insults. I am going to ask why people believe the things they believe and see if they can question long held beliefs.

What objective quality evidence do you have that Ms. Silverman is not still the same type of person she has been? Have you seen or read about an episode where she is with someone with whom she has a very large differentiation in her belief to the guest, and they talk calmly and respectfully and part on a good tone? Do you have a link to that episode?

This_person

So i am now going to take that tact from here on out. I am not going to trow insults. I am going to ask why people believe the things they believe and see if they can question long held beliefs.

What objective quality evidence do you have that Ms. Silverman is not still the same type of person she has been? Have you seen or read about an episode where she is with someone with whom she has a very large differentiation in her belief to the guest, and they talk calmly and respectfully and part on a good tone? Do you have a link to that episode?

Sapidus

I think many people share common beliefs but tend to focus on the differences. The internet allows people to say things they normally wouldn't and especially to those who they deem different or who don't share identical beliefs.

Listening is good, not throwing insults to random people on the internet is also good, but you should criticize. You should challenge other people's positions but do it gracefully or you'll simply be shut down because, again, this is the internet. No one is forced to come up with an answer right then and there as if you were talking in person so if a question is asked or a point is brought up challenging the other person's beliefs they have the option to simply "walk away" and not answer or follow up the point/question. You should also be willing to have your own beliefs and positions questioned and be prepared to defend them if it's something you truly believe. If you're just tossing out random thoughts that aren't based on any sort of reality you're not helping yourself or anyone who is willing to listen and perhaps change their own ideas.

That being said, you sure won't find many on here who will engage in honest discourse. You find find many willing to engage in honest debate and you won;t find many here who are going to change their minds.

Well if this thread is anything to go by you are certainly right that no one is willing to engage in honest debate. Just look at the responses from people who haven't even watched a single episode. Everyone making childless insults or jumping on the defensive with no knowledge. Its a pretty accurate slice of how political and social debates are now handled.

It's pretty sad. Even though i don't agree with many conservative sources i try to at least read, watch or understand their positions.

Last edited:

Sapidus

Yes. I have watched 3 episodes. One of which she meets a family in Louisiana who all voted for Trump. She hangs out with them and finds common ground. She then meets with a group of fireman and tries to find things they have in common. That one delves into scatological humor but at the end I would say the all agree that thy have found common ground as people first and political viewpoints second.

Hulu is a paid service so I can't link to it unless you have a PayPal account.

Here is an episode on Youtube. Skip to 11:00 minutes to see where she meets with the Louisiana family

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UDFfIGXu3PU

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member

Sounds like it really sucks to be on here.

If we were you.

:coffee:

Grumpy

Well if this thread is anything to go by you are certainly right that no one is willing to engage in honest debate.

Untrue, most will engage in honest debate but your reputation precedes this thread. If folks see a change in your posts/attitude, you might be surprised.

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member

Many people can benefit from this approach. I look forward to discussing issue with you.