Balm'r Educashun

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2017/11/0...-students-proficient-in-math-report-says.html

Who should be held responsible for this? The list is long and liberal.

We have a Republican governor and he could be making this an issue, but I don't notice him doing that. He's too busy giving "medical marijuana" licenses to his buddies. Because yeah, pot's important, guys.

Traditional education methods aren't going to benefit these kids. They need more of a life training program - Outward Bound, something like that. Get them young, pull them out of their crap environment, and allow them to experience something else.

glhs837

Power with Control
We have a Republican governor and he could be making this an issue, but I don't notice him doing that. He's too busy giving "medical marijuana" licenses to his buddies. Because yeah, pot's important, guys.

Traditional education methods aren't going to benefit these kids. They need more of a life training program - Outward Bound, something like that. Get them young, pull them out of their crap culture, and allow them to experience something else.

And just like that, with one word you are a racist :) And be sure, that is exactly the word that any liberal you speak to will put in there for you.

Clem72

Math test questions should have been done in metric, since that's the measurement system they deal with most often.

NorthBeachPerso

Honorary SMIB

Traditional education methods aren't going to benefit these kids. They need more of a life training program - Outward Bound, something like that. Get them young, pull them out of their crap environment, and allow them to experience something else.

Well, Hogan has addressed the school system failures in Baltimore, and Prince George's for that matter, and was overruled by the Legislature.

Schools reflect their communities.

As far as marijuana licensing goes, powerful Senators and Delegates have been the ones who diddled the system.

black dog

Free America
Math test questions should have been done in metric, since that's the measurement system they deal with most often.

Maybe that's what confuses them, a gram, a rock, nickel, dime, quarter, lid, it goes on forever.... The dealer might just want to stick within a certain age group....

Pete

Repete
What a conundrum. How do you teach the disinterested and unwilling to learn? Their answer will to be throw more money at it but we know that will not work. They do not care. Their is no measurable and distinct circumstance to the student who doesn't become proficient in math yet there is a significant downside when that group is used to measure effectiveness.

Baker12

It all starts in the home. Maybe 10% of the population live in a house with both their parents. Grades and education aren't as important to them as how to receive welfare. Whats even sadder is that they will have kids and this cycle will continue. Planned Parenthood was started basically to stop this

Pete

Repete
It all starts in the home. Maybe 10% of the population live in a house with both their parents. Grades and education aren't as important to them as how to receive welfare. Whats even sadder is that they will have kids and this cycle will continue. Planned Parenthood was started basically to stop this

It's not PC to say that our society is trying to fight against the social construct of the black community, but is it the truth?

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
It's not PC to say that our society is trying to fight against the social construct of the black community, but is it the truth?

I'm going to take issue with the term "black community". I don't think of these ghetto rats as representative of black people - the black people I know value education, responsibility, and good citizenship. These ghetto crackheads could just as easily be white - and many of them *are* white. They may use race as an excuse, but everyone regardless of race has some bull#### excuse as to why they "can't". Join the club, crackheads.

What's interesting is that we, as a society, have bought into that excuse. "Oh, well, you're black. We don't expect any better from you, so here...here's some stuff that you're too dumb to get on your own." What's more, other black people buy into it!!! That's the part that stuns me. I understand the NAACP pushing this agenda - they're in the rabble rousing moneymaking business, not the fix a problem business. It's when I hear some middle- to upperclass black person blaming race for these people's lack of achievement that I rock back.

"Black people cannot be successful in this country," says our black President. Wait, what?

"White people are all racists who want to put blacks in slavery," says the multibillionaire rap star. Huh?

If anything, it's black people trying to keep a brothah down, not white people. So now I've gone full circle, and you're right - our society is trying to fight against the social construct of the black community.

Sometimes I just need to work it through for myself. :peace:

stgislander

PREMO Member
I've come to understand that as a middle-aged white male, nobody in the "black community", when it comes to discussing the ills of the "black community", wants to hear my thoughts on the matter. So if/when the subject matter comes up, I politely excuse myself.

Pete

Repete
I'm going to take issue with the term "black community". I don't think of these ghetto rats as representative of black people - the black people I know value education, responsibility, and good citizenship. These ghetto crackheads could just as easily be white - and many of them *are* white. They may use race as an excuse, but everyone regardless of race has some bull#### excuse as to why they "can't". Join the club, crackheads.

What's interesting is that we, as a society, have bought into that excuse. "Oh, well, you're black. We don't expect any better from you, so here...here's some stuff that you're too dumb to get on your own." What's more, other black people buy into it!!! That's the part that stuns me. I understand the NAACP pushing this agenda - they're in the rabble rousing moneymaking business, not the fix a problem business. It's when I hear some middle- to upperclass black person blaming race for these people's lack of achievement that I rock back.

"Black people cannot be successful in this country," says our black President. Wait, what?

"White people are all racists who want to put blacks in slavery," says the multibillionaire rap star. Huh?

If anything, it's black people trying to keep a brothah down, not white people. So now I've gone full circle, and you're right - our society is trying to fight against the social construct of the black community.

Sometimes I just need to work it through for myself. :peace:
I had an issue stating "black community" because it is too inclusive on its face but then again I think that it is accepted now to mean the impoverished and unsuccessful portion of the black population.

I think the struggle is between the perceptions. Many Americans do not buy into the "because you are black you are automatically disadvantaged" whereas many do. As a matter of fact that was part of my discussion in the UK with the college kids. I went to the Georgia Public School System in Jefferson County which was 70% black. I sat in the same classes, ate the same lunch, had the same teachers, same curriculum and took the same tests and all of my friends. I chose a path that got me here, they chose a path that held them there. Common denominator = choices.

Pete

Repete
I've come to understand that as a middle-aged white male, nobody in the "black community", when it comes to discussing the ills of the "black community", wants to hear my thoughts on the matter. So if/when the subject matter comes up, I politely excuse myself.

It is human nature. The white person who is on disability caused by being grossly obese doesn't want to hear how its their fault either.

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
Perhaps if the parents of the kids in these schools put as much emphasis on education as they seem to put on athletics and or music can some sort of improvement take place.

Perhaps have some of the locals that have become successful have an honest conversation about what it takes to achieve. I'm sure the talk will be peppered with words like responsibility, ambition, self reliance and not a lot of pity, blame and excuses.

Baker12

Perhaps if the parents of the kids in these schools put as much emphasis on education as they seem to put on athletics and or music can some sort of improvement take place.

Perhaps have some of the locals that have become successful have an honest conversation about what it takes to achieve. I'm sure the talk will be peppered with words like responsibility, ambition, self reliance and not a lot of pity, blame and excuses.

First off, parents? There are no parents involved here, guarantee, and Second, that would be a waste of time and space. I know several people who taught in the Baltimore school system, they all left quickly and were literally scared to death most days. The whole culture and community is lost, which is why the cops basically leave them alone. Most urban, Democrat controlled cities are like this in the US. Its sad

limblips

PREMO Member

If they could do the math they would know that the odds are not in their favor in sports or music! Having a dream to play in the NBA, NHL, NFL, MLB is a great thing to aspire to but having realistic goals usually pays better!