Apple offers to unlock shooter's cell phone

Chris0nllyn

Apple says it "immediately" offered to help the FBI in the wake of Sunday's Texas church massacre after the agency said it was unable to unlock the shooter's encrypted smartphone.

"It actually highlights an issue that you've all heard about before, the advance of the technology and the phones and the encryptions. Law enforcement, whether at the state or local or the federal level, is increasingly not able to get into these phones," Combs said. "I can assure you that we’re working very hard to get into the phone and that will continue until we find an answer.

Federal authorities challenged Apple in court in the wake of the 2015 mass shooting in San Bernardino, California, in which a couple inspired by the Islamic State killed 14 people, authorities said.

The couple died in a shootout with police hours after the massacre, but the authorities eventually managed to unlock the device, an iPhone 5C, without the help of the tech behemoth.
https://www.yahoo.com/gma/apple-say...ers-phone-102704307--abc-news-topstories.html

terbear1225

Is it a flip though? I may be remembering this wrong but I thought the issue in the past was that Apple refused to hand over the tech to allow law enforcement to unlock the phones themselves, not that they refused to do it for them.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Is it a flip though? I may be remembering this wrong but I thought the issue in the past was that Apple refused to hand over the tech ......

Apple Refused to develop the back door access knowing eventually such tech would eventually leak to the world - making iPhones over all less safe

terbear1225

Apple Refused to develop the back door access knowing eventually such tech would eventually leak to the world - making iPhones over all less safe

so my memory was off by a bit. I still see a difference in this instance, and understand their rationale in the previous incident.

Sapidus

So whats your point? How doe that prove bias between muslims and whites? It just proves they are protecting their product. You are not making any sense in your frothing

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
So whats your point?

How doe that prove bias between muslims and whites?

That is the question .... what change

- Obama / Trump
- Muslim / Christian Hating Atheist Shooter
- Calif / Texas Victims

why is Apple Now Offering up the service ....

It just proves they are protecting their product. - No S H I T - thanks Captain Obvious

You are not making any sense in your frothing

do you EVER make any Sense and think about what you are asking

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Apple offered to help unlock Texas shooter's phone, but the FBI still hasn't asked for assistance

The 2016 San Bernardino iPhone controversy resulted in a very public feud between the FBI and Apple, and it looks as if the animosity from that incident still remains. Earlier this week, the feds indirectly blamed the company for not being able to access Texas gunman Devin P. Kelley’s iPhone, but Apple said it would have happily helped if it had been asked. It even contacted the FBI to offer its assistance.

At a press conference on Tuesday, FBI special agent Christopher Combs said the phone, since identified as an iPhone, that belonged to the deceased Kelley had been transported to the agency’s Quantico headquarters in the hope of obtaining some important information. "Unfortunately, at this point in time, we are unable to get into that phone,” he said.

“It highlights an issue that you’ve all heard about before, with the advance of the technology and the phones and the encryptions, law enforcement, whether that’s at the state, local or federal level, is increasingly not able to get into these phones,” Combs added.

But Apple told Business Insider that the FBI still hasn’t asked for its help. In a statement, the company said it reached out to the agency after the press conference to offer assistance and “expedite our response to any legal process.”

The Washington Post reports that the FBI didn’t ask anything of Apple at this point as it was trying to determine other methods of accessing the phone’s data, a process that could take weeks.