Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Be careful on Route 234

Be careful on Route 234

The daily commute on Route 234 is definitely getting more dangerous. We have a new traffic circle at Clements. Currently, it requires a full stop prior to entering the circle. The stop signs are HUGE. But clearly they must be difficult to see, because very few people even slow down before entering the circle. When someone wrecks in the circle, it will be very difficult to get around it. This is an issue for both northbound and southbound commutes.

Then we have the problem of people passing on the right whenever they feel like it. Technically, we are not supposed to pass on the shoulder unless the road has been marked with a passing lane. Clearly there are other places that it is safe to pass. We definitely are NOT supposed to pass on the right within 100 feet of an intersection. Unfortunately on Route 234, people seem to believe that intersections are made for passing. The Penns Hill/Allens Fresh intersection is the worst for southbound traffic. The left hand turn goes to Penns Hill Road. That is a major cross county connector, so a lot of vehicles stop to make the left. But since Allens Fresh is the right hand turn, it is illegal to go around at that point. Sadly even LEOs do it - yes, I reported it. I stay out of people's way. But I do get pissed off when I follow the traffic laws and get the horn or finger when I go straight after waiting for someone to turn. The same thing happens at other intersections on the road, but Penns Hill is the worst.

Please remember that we all share the same roads. Drive safely and follow the traffic laws.

Thanks!

LtownTaxpayer

Quote Originally Posted by LtownTaxpayer View Post
    Then we have the problem of people passing on the right whenever they feel like it. Technically, we are not supposed to pass on the shoulder unless the road has been marked with a passing lane.
    Effective 1 October, 2017: " Drivers may pass on the right shoulder if a vehicle is making a left turn ahead and the driver does not leave the paved surface."
    You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline. It helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer. -Frank Zappa

What traffic circle has stop signs? Isn't the point of a circle to yield?
    Crybaby Cripplecrow Hanging on a Monkey's Toe Club

Quote Originally Posted by Chris0nllyn View Post
    What traffic circle has stop signs? Isn't the point of a circle to yield?
    I believe the Stop signs are temporary until the work is completed at the turn around. I'll be glad when they finish the bridge. They're working on the bridge on Rt. 6 also, however, the traffic on 234 is much lighter than on Rt. 6 in the evening. I have sat in traffic on 6 for close to 30 minutes, waiting to go thru.

Putting stop signs at a traffic circle is counter-intuitive. This isn't the first/only traffic circle on 234, and none of the others I've ever encountered had stop signs. People are just doing what they have been trained to do, and that is yield to traffic already in the circle and to enter it with caution. If there is no traffic in the circle, there is no reason to come to a stop, again, the whole point of having a circle.

General Purpose of Shoulders
    They are used by motorized vehicles for parking, emergency stopping, emergency
    maneuvers, and bypassing left turning vehicles.

Do your homework before complaining about how people use shoulders. If you are following "rules" that don't exist, it is no wonder you are getting honked or fingered.

http://www.sha.maryland.gov/oots/Cha...0Shoulders.pdf
    Last edited by spclopr8tr; 11-09-2017 at 03:44 PM.

6. 11-09-2017, 04:33 PM

Quote Originally Posted by spclopr8tr View Post
    Putting stop signs at a traffic circle is counter-intuitive. This isn't the first/only traffic circle on 234, and none of the others I've ever encountered had stop signs. People are just doing what they have been trained to do, and that is yield to traffic already in the circle and to enter it with caution. If there is no traffic in the circle, there is no reason to come to a stop, again, the whole point of having a circle.

General Purpose of Shoulders
    They are used by motorized vehicles for parking, emergency stopping, emergency
    maneuvers, and bypassing left turning vehicles.

Do your homework before complaining about how people use shoulders. If you are following "rules" that don't exist, it is no wonder you are getting honked or fingered.

http://www.sha.maryland.gov/oots/Cha...0Shoulders.pdf
    I don't give a crap about people passing on the shoulder. I care about people passing through INTERSECTIONS. If you are passing while crossing another road - like the INTERSECTION of Penns Hill Road and Allens Fresh Road, there is no shoulder. Perhaps you should actually read a post before commenting.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BuddsCreek.jpg 
Views:	164 
Size:	82.7 KB 
ID:	120463
    Last edited by LtownTaxpayer; 11-09-2017 at 04:51 PM.

I don't give a crap about people passing on the shoulder.
    Except..that's clearly not what you posted. To wit:

Then we have the problem of people passing on the right whenever they feel like it. Technically, we are not supposed to pass on the shoulder
    You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline. It helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer. -Frank Zappa

Quote Originally Posted by Gilligan View Post
    Except..that's clearly not what you posted. To wit:

Wow! You got me. You picked out a very minute part of my post to be able to point out my mistake. And I confess that I have passed on the SHOULDER of the road before. But no comment about passing through INTERSECTIONS? It almost seems like you were just looking for something to pick apart.

Wow! You got me. You picked out a very minute part of my post to be able to point out my mistake. And I confess that I have passed on the SHOULDER of the road before. But no comment about passing through INTERSECTIONS? It almost seems like you were just looking for something to pick apart.
    I had no comment about passing through intersections because I saw nothing needing a comment. See how that works? ;-)

Minute part?? LMAO..it was the opening sentence and premise of an entire paragraph.

uhmm yea, people tend to object to the objectionable part, don't take it personal.

Looking at that pic i dont' see a problem with passing a left turning vehicles. The side road has stop signs where they must yeild to the traffic on the main road
    so they s houldnt' be entering unless it's clear, and that road would get backed up for left turning vehicles. that is not a 4 way stop.

Members who have read this thread: 94