If The Supreme Court Takes This Gun Control Case, Its Decision Will Be Huge

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
When the Supreme Court meets later today to discuss pending petitions for review, the justices’ conference calendar will include a pivotal Second Amendment case: Kolbe v. Hogan.

In Kolbe v. Hogan, the full Fourth Circuit Court of Appeals upheld Maryland’s ban of semiautomatic rifles and detachable ammunition magazines that exceed ten rounds. In doing so, the Fourth Circuit became the fourth federal appellate court to uphold the constitutionality of a ban on “assault” weapons and large-capacity magazines. The Second, Seventh, and District of Columbia circuits have previously upheld similar bans, and, to date, the Supreme Court has refused to enter the fray.

But Kolbe v. Hogan will likely force the justices’ hand. Here’s why.

[clip]

But should the Supreme Court grant the petition for review, as I predict, gun-rights activists should temper any premature celebration. Public pressure to uphold “assault” weapon and high-capacity magazine bans will be great, and as Justice Thomas stressed: “If a broad ban on firearms can be upheld based on conjecture that the public might feel safer (while being no safer at all), then the Second Amendment guarantees nothing.”

When the Supreme Court meets today to discuss pending petitions for review, the justices’ conference calendar will include a pivotal Second Amendment case.

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
Good reason to get another, or two, originalists on the court soon.

Pete

Repete
When the Supreme Court meets later today to discuss pending petitions for review, the justices’ conference calendar will include a pivotal Second Amendment case: Kolbe v. Hogan.

In Kolbe v. Hogan, the full Fourth Circuit Court of Appeals upheld Maryland’s ban of semiautomatic rifles and detachable ammunition magazines that exceed ten rounds. In doing so, the Fourth Circuit became the fourth federal appellate court to uphold the constitutionality of a ban on “assault” weapons and large-capacity magazines. The Second, Seventh, and District of Columbia circuits have previously upheld similar bans, and, to date, the Supreme Court has refused to enter the fray.

But Kolbe v. Hogan will likely force the justices’ hand. Here’s why.

[clip]

But should the Supreme Court grant the petition for review, as I predict, gun-rights activists should temper any premature celebration. Public pressure to uphold “assault” weapon and high-capacity magazine bans will be great, and as Justice Thomas stressed: “If a broad ban on firearms can be upheld based on conjecture that the public might feel safer (while being no safer at all), then the Second Amendment guarantees nothing.”

When the Supreme Court meets today to discuss pending petitions for review, the justices’ conference calendar will include a pivotal Second Amendment case.
I am not up on the law because I have never entertained the thought of buying a weapon of that type but does Maryland not allow magazines that hold more than 10 rounds or any weapon that can accept magazines that can hold more than 10.....which is about everything.

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
I am not up on the law because I have never entertained the thought of buying a weapon of that type but does Maryland not allow magazines that hold more than 10 rounds or any weapon that can accept magazines that can hold more than 10.....which is about everything.

In a nutshell.

However if you have >10 Mags already or you buy it out of state, possession is still, for the moment, legal.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member

Plenty of firearms that accept magazines with greater than 10 rds are still legal in MD. And, as Kyle noted, higher cap mags are legal to own. So the end result is that MD's "ban" on "assault rifles" (incorrectly termed) is silly.

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
Plenty of firearms that accept magazines with greater than 10 rds are still legal in MD. And, as Kyle noted, higher cap mags are legal to own. So the end result is that MD's "ban" on "assault rifles" (incorrectly termed) is silly.

Colt AR-15 == Illegal.... Ruger Mini-14 == Legal

Same Ammo, similar magazines, action, barrel lengths, rof, weights, etc.

Only real difference. It's not Black and scary.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
[assuming you can purchase the following in MD Anymore]

purchase a G 17 / 19 / 21 it will have a crimped mag limited to 10 rounds ....
take a trip across the river pick up some Glock Mags in VA bring them back

really a stupid law

black dog

Free America

Yes you may own full capacity mags, you may buy or transfer out of state full capacity mags legally. You cannot transfer in the state any magazines with greater capacity than the ban states. iE like mail order or a friend ships them to you...