Joshua 23 Really Old

seekeroftruth

Joshua 23:1 After a long time had passed and the Lord had given Israel rest from all their enemies around them, Joshua, by then a very old man, 2 summoned all Israel—their elders, leaders, judges and officials—and said to them: “I am very old. 3 You yourselves have seen everything the Lord your God has done to all these nations for your sake; it was the Lord your God who fought for you. 4 Remember how I have allotted as an inheritance for your tribes all the land of the nations that remain—the nations I conquered—between the Jordan and the Mediterranean Sea in the west. 5 The Lord your God himself will push them out for your sake. He will drive them out before you, and you will take possession of their land, as the Lord your God promised you.​

Consider this, if you will, the Israelites wandered around the desert for 40 years waiting for everyone who was afraid of the giants in the Promised Land to die off. Joshua was one of those who went to check out this "Promised Land". Caleb was there then too. Both of these men had to wait while the others died off before they could go take their place on this land. Numbers 13-14 So Joshua and Caleb were men when they spied out Canaan and they were 40 years older now. Now they have also conquered whoever they are going to conquer in Canaan and they are even older than they were when they entered Canaan. Soon they will be "blessing their sons at their deathbed" old so it's time for them to put the rules in place.

This is from the easy English site.

We do not know how much time had passed since the two and a half tribes went home. It could have been many years. The Israelites lived in peace. Their enemies did not continue to fight them.

Verses 2-5, 14, 15 Joshua reminded the people about several things.

· You have seen that God is working for you.
· You have seen that God is fighting for you.
· God has given you land to live in.
· God will continue to work for you.
· God has kept all his promises.
· God will keep all his promises.​

So Joshua is really old compared to everyone else [except Caleb].

:coffee: