ISO HVAC Info

Bobwhite

I need to get a new HVAC. I need both indoor and outdoor units. I have company A proposing a Carrier Comfort Series 14 SEER R-410A condenser with a First Company indoor unit. I have company B proposing an American Standard Silver Series 14 SEER R-410A condenser with First Company indoor unit.

I've done some research and what I've learned is that the most important thing about having HVAC installed is the installer. Most problems occur because the equipment was improperly installed. As far as equipment goes, American Standard and Carrier rate pretty close together.

Here's the thing: Company B's quote is over twice what Company A's is.

Bottom Line: If you have experience with one or both of the manufacturers, I'd like to hear your opinion. Also, I'd like to hear your opinions on HVAC installers in Southern Maryland.

General Lee

I had an American Standard 14 SEER Silver series installed last summer. I don't like it. Its noisy when it starts and stops (the outdoor unit) Had several issues when it was first installed. I didn't know it at the time, but the Silver Series is the cheapest of their brand line. One issue was a factory default OR the installer got TXV valve to hot while brazing the cooling lines. The company had two young guys install it. I felt they were a bit inexperienced. In the long run, the company did what it took to make it right, but it was a PIA. I can't complain about their customer service. Had some cooling issues in the beginning and after about 5-6 visits from different techs (same company) it seems they got it working ok. I still feel my 16 year old unit cooled better then this new one.

Another thing, American Standard doesn't require the replacement of the line set as long as the old lines are flushed correctly. If I had to do it over again, I'd get new line sets installed. Old R-22 and the 410 stuff when mixed cause a gelling to occur. I just don't feel the way they flush the lines is adequate. I feel my system suffers from gelling occurring but who am I? You are correct, brand doesn't really matter, its the quality of the install.

IMO, Boothes and TN Bowes are quality companies.

Bobwhite

I had an American Standard 14 SEER Silver series installed last summer. I don't like it. Its noisy when it starts and stops (the outdoor unit) Had several issues when it was first installed. I didn't know it at the time, but the Silver Series is the cheapest of their brand line. One issue was a factory default OR the installer got TXV valve to hot while brazing the cooling lines. The company had two young guys install it. I felt they were a bit inexperienced. In the long run, the company did what it took to make it right, but it was a PIA. I can't complain about their customer service. Had some cooling issues in the beginning and after about 5-6 visits from different techs (same company) it seems they got it working ok. I still feel my 16 year old unit cooled better then this new one.

Another thing, American Standard doesn't require the replacement of the line set as long as the old lines are flushed correctly. If I had to do it over again, I'd get new line sets installed. Old R-22 and the 410 stuff when mixed cause a gelling to occur. I just don't feel the way they flush the lines is adequate. I feel my system suffers from gelling occurring but who am I? You are correct, brand doesn't really matter, its the quality of the install.

IMO, Boothes and TN Bowes are quality companies.

Thanks for the information.

limblips

Have you considered an all-in-one unit? It is the complete package placed outside. No condensate worries, less lines, single electrical drop. I changed to one 10 years ago and never looked back. Also easier install and check-ups.

General Lee

Have you considered an all-in-one unit? It is the complete package placed outside. No condensate worries, less lines, single electrical drop. I changed to one 10 years ago and never looked back. Also easier install and check-ups.

You mean like a Mitshibishi Split Unit?

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
The new units we had installed in the house last summer are SEER 23. Great Mills Heating and Air did a nice job at a good price. We use Boothes for the other two buildings we have and they've always done a nice job too. We have an annual maintenance contract with them. They installed a new American Standard SEER 18 (iirc) package on the office a couple years ago that totally blows away the 20-year-old Coleman system it replaced. More heat/cool for less $$.

SEER 14 seems awfully low by today's standards and what's available.

Bobwhite

The new units we had installed in the house last summer are SEER 23. Great Mills Heating and Air did a nice job at a good price. We use Boothes for the other two buildings we have and they've always done a nice job too. We have an annual maintenance contract with them. They installed a new American Standard SEER 18 (iirc) package on the office a couple years ago that totally blows away the 20-year-old Coleman system it replaced. More heat/cool for less $$.

I failed to mention that I live in a condo and my apartment is 1200 square feet. It's a four story apartment building and the condensers are on the roof. I'm not sure how my apartment compares to the buildings you are cooling. I have had Boothe for my annual maintenance for several years and I've always been satisfied with them.

limblips

You mean like a Mitshibishi Split Unit?

No, these are called package units. The compressor/condenser/air handler are all in one unit that sits outside. It is ducted in to your existing ductwork and electric/gas hooked up and it is ready to go.

It may not be an answer for your particular situation but you might ask about it.

General Lee

I will add when the company came out to evaluate what i needed, all they asked and did was measure length X width of the house and asked what size my current system was. No heat/cooling load was done, no account for number of doors and windows, etc. They asked how I felt my old system cooled before it took a crap. Since I was satisfied with the old system, they gave me the same tonnage as the old. I also was getting an outside unit only. The old was a AC unit only but I added the heat pump combo and wanted to keep my oil furnace. In order for me to step up in SEER rating, I would have had to get a new propane furnace which doubled the cost. I like oil heat and wanted to keep my oil. So 14 SEER was basically my only option for the money I wanted to spend.

The install company was one of the two I previously mentioned.

Bobwhite

I will add when the company came out to evaluate what i needed, all they asked and did was measure length X width of the house and asked what size my current system was. No heat/cooling load was done, no account for number of doors and windows, etc. They asked how I felt my old system cooled before it took a crap. Since I was satisfied with the old system, they gave me the same tonnage as the old. I also was getting an outside unit only. The old was a AC unit only but I added the heat pump combo and wanted to keep my oil furnace. In order for me to step up in SEER rating, I would have had to get a new propane furnace which doubled the cost. I like oil heat and wanted to keep my oil. So 14 SEER was basically my only option for the money I wanted to spend.

The install company was one of the two I previously mentioned.

Everyone - you have given me things to think about that I didn't have before. Thanks for your assistance.

PeoplesElbow

I vote TN Bowes, they did mine about 10 years ago and they did a great job. They were also half the cost of a couple of the other estimates I got.

Some places just gouge the #### out of you.

My heat pump is 14 SEER btw and the most it has added to my electric bill was about $30 a month, but I also have oil heat for when the temp drops below 40 degrees.

For a 1500 sq ft house built in 76 my highest electric bill was $160 one very hot summer.

Everyone - you have given me things to think about that I didn't have before. Thanks for your assistance.

Can do a package unit but kinda waste of money if your Duct is already in home , pretty much all equipment is the same as lond AS IT's installed right..Warranty's are about the same as long as you send in paper work. Copper does not need to be replaced just get 3 quote's. The bigger company's will take your money!! Just get a good company that doesn't have all the overhead..Can save you lot's of $$$$$$