Greetings from West Palm Beach!

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I feel bad telling you all this, but it was 74* this morning at 6am when I walked the dog. I truly do not miss those bitter cold winter mornings.

So we're back in the motorhome :thewave: and our campground is attached to Lion Country Safari. We can hear the animals, especially the lions, loud and clear. It sounds like they're coming over a loud speaker, it's so guttural and primal. I got a nice surprise when I checked us in: they're having a special where for every three days you camp at this KOA, they give you two-day passes for everyone in your party. So Monello and I each have 3 two-day passes to use while we're here. (Regular admission is $35pp)

While we're here I want to take an airboat swamp tour; go to Palm Beach and see Mar-A-Lago; and spend a day in Miami. I'd also like to get some golfing in (although we're not good enough to play at the terrific clubs around here, we'll have to go to the municipal course.)

Last night Monello was wrecked from driving the bus, so we went to Mario the Baker's for dinner. I had pizza, Monello had eggplant parm, and we got some of their ridiculous garlic rolls. We'll have to go back before we leave so I can try their broccoli rabe and sausage.

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
I heard the Canadian neighbor say it was 24 degrees outside this morning. Sounds kinda cold to me. I hope our pipes don't freeze.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Went into Palm Beach yesterday and Miami today. Miami is a typical metropolitan area - downtown is an asphalt jungle, all highrises, chrome, and glass. Yawn. But Little Havana was cool. I picked up some fresh ground Cuban coffee, and we had lunch/happy hour at El Pub. Monello had a mojito and a Cubano, and I had a Hatuey (Cuban beer) and an appetizer of Cuban fried pork, beef, and chicken. Little Havana is highly Cuban (duh) with grocery stores you've never heard of, a ton of hand-rolled cigar shops, and lively bars and eateries. There's a little park where the men gather and play dominoes. FUN FACT: dominoes is the national game of Cuba.

I have never been to Cuba and don't intend to until we finally overthrow their ahole Communist government, but it seems that Cuban immigrants have created a little bit of home in this Miami neighborhood. They retain a lot of their Cuban culture, and have a memorial park dedicated to various Cuban heroes. There's a distinct feeling that they're homesick and would like to repatriate, but obviously can't until Raoul and his #### brigade get gone.

Communism sucks, people! You lefties get that #### right out of your head or I'm going to send you to Miami to talk to some people who fled that crap.

Parts of Miami and most of Palm Beach drip money and privilege. All along the Miami waterfront there are highrise condos - like, a TON of them. It has to cost a fortune to buy one, and that's an awful lot of rich people filling up those buildings. Not to mention the gigantic estates. Good grief. Palm Beach has homes that look like country clubs. It's crazy. We didn't get to see Mar-A-Lago because it's residents, members, and guests only - no riff raff allowed. We did a drive-by but they had covered fencing blocking our view.

Look, you snobs, that is our Southern White House! You turds let me in!!! :mad:

Where we're staying in Loxahatchee there's a safari park that I mentioned above. We've gone twice and it's pretty slick. Not sure we'd have paid $35/per for it, but we got free tickets because of the campground.

Tomorrow is laundry and pack day, then Tuesday we head for the Keys. :thewave: