Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Most Liberal City In Virginia To See Increases In Obamacare Premiums As High As 247%

  1. #1
    INGSOC GURPS's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Peoples Republic Of Maryland
    Posts
    33,337

    Most Liberal City In Virginia To See Increases In Obamacare Premiums As High As 247%

    Most Liberal City In Virginia To See Increases In Obamacare Premiums As High As 247%

    One resident now pays $988 a month; next year that'll be $3,158


    Charlottesville, Va., home to Thomas Jefferson’s University of Virginia, is one of the most liberal cities in America.

    How liberal: In 2016, 79.7% of the vote went for Hillary Clinton. President Trump got just 2,960 votes in a city with a population of nearly 50,000.

    So it's the perfect place for Obamacare to implode.

    City residents who don't qualify for federal subsidies will see their premiums go up anywhere from 195% to 247% next year, according to the city's hometown paper, The Daily Progress.

    In a piece headlined "The Coverage Gap," the paper notes that Albemarle County, which voted for Hillary 59-33, will also see the dramatic increases.

    Most people — about 70 percent of those on individual plans — will see rate increases absorbed by government subsidies, and some may even see lower premiums. The highest increases primarily affect the self-employed who make more than 400 percent of the poverty level — or $47,520 for an individual.

    The subsidy cliff falls particularly hard on the Charlottesville area’s entrepreneurial community, where the 2018 premiums are forcing difficult conversations about money, careers and even moving out of the region.


    We’re tempted to suggest a conspiracy here — but it’s just liberals agreeing yet again that conservatives have hidden, evil motives, because modern liberals simply can’t conceive of any other reason to disagree with the liberal consensus.

  2. #2
    Registered User
    Member Since
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    22,917
    Quote Originally Posted by GURPS View Post
    Most Liberal City In Virginia To See Increases In Obamacare Premiums As High As 247%

    One resident now pays $988 a month; next year that'll be $3,158


    Charlottesville, Va., home to Thomas Jefferson’s University of Virginia, is one of the most liberal cities in America.

    How liberal: In 2016, 79.7% of the vote went for Hillary Clinton. President Trump got just 2,960 votes in a city with a population of nearly 50,000.

    So it's the perfect place for Obamacare to implode.

    City residents who don't qualify for federal subsidies will see their premiums go up anywhere from 195% to 247% next year, according to the city's hometown paper, The Daily Progress.

    In a piece headlined "The Coverage Gap," the paper notes that Albemarle County, which voted for Hillary 59-33, will also see the dramatic increases.

    Most people — about 70 percent of those on individual plans — will see rate increases absorbed by government subsidies, and some may even see lower premiums. The highest increases primarily affect the self-employed who make more than 400 percent of the poverty level — or $47,520 for an individual.

    The subsidy cliff falls particularly hard on the Charlottesville area’s entrepreneurial community, where the 2018 premiums are forcing difficult conversations about money, careers and even moving out of the region.


    So if you make $47,520 dollar a year your insurance doubles.or triples.
    Now $47,520 dollars is nothing to sneeze at I guess, but it is in no way a rich man's salary
    Now take an insurance rate of 3,158 dollar a month times 12 comes somewhere in the neighborhood of $37,896 dollars

    If you take $37,896 dollars from 47,520 you end up making about $10,000 dollars a year, and Obama just put you at poverty level.
    So what do you do? In order to eat and buy gas to get to work you drop your insurance,

    WTF difference does it make you can't find a doctor out there who can see you in less than a month anyway.

    Thank you Obama

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by Hijinx View Post
    So if you make $47,520 dollar a year your insurance doubles.or triples.
    Now $47,520 dollars is nothing to sneeze at I guess, but it is in no way a rich man's salary
    Now take an insurance rate of 3,158 dollar a month times 12 comes somewhere in the neighborhood of $37,896 dollars

    If you take $37,896 dollars from 47,520 you end up making about $10,000 dollars a year, and Obama just put you at poverty level.
    So what do you do? In order to eat and buy gas to get to work you drop your insurance,

    WTF difference does it make you can't find a doctor out there who can see you in less than a month anyway.

    Thank you Obama
    That’s a big wow! Again, I say people should be careful of what they wish/vote for, and then some.
    ​​Like I said. JMO, yo! - Roman
    If you ignore the trolls, they starve. - Wishbone

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Hijinx View Post
    So if you make $47,520 dollar a year your insurance doubles.or triples.
    Now $47,520 dollars is nothing to sneeze at I guess, but it is in no way a rich man's salary
    Now take an insurance rate of 3,158 dollar a month times 12 comes somewhere in the neighborhood of $37,896 dollars

    If you take $37,896 dollars from 47,520 you end up making about $10,000 dollars a year, and Obama just put you at poverty level.
    So what do you do? In order to eat and buy gas to get to work you drop your insurance,

    WTF difference does it make you can't find a doctor out there who can see you in less than a month anyway.

    Thank you Obama
    Incorrect.

    For a single, 21 year old adult living in Charlottesville, VA making $47,520 per year, monthly premiums would be $379 per month for a Silver Plan (or $189 for a Bronze Plan) because, as the story pointed out, subsidies exist. The hypothetical person would receive a $439 per month tax credit so that medical insurance expenses are capped below 10% of their income (9.56% to be exact).

    Out-of-Pocket limit for a Silver Plan is $7,350.

    Catastrophic coverage is also available to those eligible people under 30 years old.



    It's a very complicated (and horrible) system, but not quite as cut and dry as you make it seem.
    Crybaby Cripplecrow Hanging on a Monkey's Toe Club

  5. #5
    Registered User
    Member Since
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    22,917
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris0nllyn View Post
    Incorrect.

    For a single, 21 year old adult living in Charlottesville, VA making $47,520 per year, monthly premiums would be $379 per month for a Silver Plan (or $189 for a Bronze Plan) because, as the story pointed out, subsidies exist. The hypothetical person would receive a $439 per month tax credit so that medical insurance expenses are capped below 10% of their income (9.56% to be exact).

    Out-of-Pocket limit for a Silver Plan is $7,350.

    Catastrophic coverage is also available to those eligible people under 30 years old.



    It's a very complicated (and horrible) system, but not quite as cut and dry as you make it seem.
    I didn't look into it as far as you did obviously. I just used the figures supplied in the Post.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Hijinx View Post
    I didn't look into it as far as you did obviously. I just used the figures supplied in the Post.
    You should know better than to trust anything from a Leftist news rag like the Compost.
    ___________________________________________________________
    "If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man." - Mark Twain

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Hijinx View Post
    I didn't look into it as far as you did obviously. I just used the figures supplied in the Post.
    This is common knowledge and pointed out in the very article you got your numbers from. The number you used is the 400% poverty line used to determine subsidies.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
    You should know better than to trust anything from a Leftist news rag like the Compost.
    The article is from the Dailywire, which quotes from a local paper. Nothing about the Washington Post.
    Crybaby Cripplecrow Hanging on a Monkey's Toe Club

Members who have read this thread: 35

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Search:     Advanced Search
Search HELP

| Home | Help | Contact Us | About somd.com | Privacy | Advertising | Sponsors | Newsletter |

| What's New | What's Cool | Top Rated | Add A Link | Mod a Link |

| Announcements | Bookstore | Cafe | Calendar | Classifieds | Community |
| Culture | Dating | Dining | Education | Employment | Entertainment |
| Forums | Free E-Mail | Games | Gear! | Government | Guestbook | Health | Marketplace | Mortgage | News |
| Organizations | Photos | Real Estate | Relocation | Sports | Survey | Travel | Wiki | Weather | Worship |