Diner Adds Mandatory 18 Percent “teen tax”

Misfit

Lawful neutral
https://www.msn.com/en-us/foodanddr...18-percent-tip-to-tables-with-kids/ar-BBEPiYS

A New Jersey diner that charges an 18 percent “teen tax” has thoroughly outraged at least one parent whose 11-year-old fell victim to it, thereby costing her an extra 90 cents. Wayne Hills Diner co-owner Peter Logos says his waitstaff were tired of local school kids hanging out all Friday night “in packs of 20 or 30” and not tipping. He tells CBS New York that they started adding mandatory gratuity to the bills of younger customers they suspect might screw the restaurant over.

But mad local mom Melissa Desch has launched a public campaign against this policy, telling at least two news stations that she recently visited Wayne Hills Diner on the same day as her daughter Bella — Bella’s milkshake got teen-taxed, while she was left to tip whatever percentage seemed more appropriate than 18 (not that she did; it’s just she could’ve).

Area students tell NBC 10, meanwhile, that they first noticed the addition at the start of football season. Several also say they “don’t mind.” But Desch argues that it’s less about the amount than the principle; she describes it as unfairly “targeting” Wayne Hills’ teens.

Hijinx

She should take her principle to another restaurant.

I agree with you in part.

But suppose they made a black tax and charged blacks an extra percentage for being black.?

See my point.? Not sure it is legal. Nor that it should be.

stgislander

PREMO Member
Well if that owner paid his/her wait staff a decent $15/hr wage, they wouldn't need tips to survive on.

:sarcasm:

black dog

Free America

But suppose they made a black tax and charged blacks an extra percentage for being black.?

You do know that generally blacks are non or horrible tippers..

Edit
I just read your other post...

Last edited:

This_person

What if they taxed rich people at a higher rate to make up the difference? That’s not discriminatory, is it?

tom88

I think a private business owner should be able to charge anyone anything they like. If a business owner wants to have a black tax, I think he should be able to do so. Mind you, I would be with those picketing that business, but nonetheless, it should be his right to do it. Why should the government get involved in any of this. See how far it's gone? A business can't refuse to serve someone even though they have a religious objection. I think the market should weed out those who are bigoted or unfair.

This_person

I think a private business owner should be able to charge anyone anything they like. If a business owner wants to have a black tax, I think he should be able to do so. Mind you, I would be with those picketing that business, but nonetheless, it should be his right to do it. Why should the government get involved in any of this. See how far it's gone? A business can't refuse to serve someone even though they have a religious objection. I think the market should weed out those who are bigoted or unfair.
:yeahthat:

officeguy

So, it's okay to add gratuity to a large party, but not teenagers? Got it.

Restaurants in places like Miami beach just add the gratuity to all checks because they have many tourists not familiar with the level of tips typical in the US. In many places in europe, it as a sufficient 'tip' to round up the check to the next euro or to add another 50c if you feel generous.

black dog

Free America
In general I found that to not be true at all, Canadians on the other hand are the worst (seriously).

My brother and sisters all worked the food industry during high school and college with one of my sister's that has owned a restaurant / bar for better than 20 years..
Blacks by and large are horrible tippers..

Hijinx

My brother and sisters all worked the food industry during high school and college with one of my sister's that has owned a restaurant / bar for better than 20 years..
Blacks by and large are horrible tippers..

As I said at Myrtle Beach a lot of Restaurants close during Black Bike week because of bad behavior and bad tips, I forgot to add walking out without paying.

PrchJrkr

Long Haired Country Boy
Ad Free Experience
Patron
As I said at Myrtle Beach a lot of Restaurants close during Black Bike week because of bad behavior and bad tips, I forgot to add walking out without paying.

Naggers gonna nag. :shrug: