Tangier Island Needs Help No Matter How You Define Its Woes

newsBot

Automated News Bot
Staff member
This just in from the somd.com Headline News:

Title: Tangier Island Needs Help No Matter How You Define Its Woes

Date: 11-15-2017 01:59 PM

Summary: When I began a documentary film this year about climate change and the Chesapeake, I knew that even though local residents were affected by it, I'd never be able to record most of them talking about sea level rise. They know what they see. And around Dorchester—Maryland's lowest-lying county and the focus of our film—residents see…

Click here for the full story...

Lurk

Happy Creepy Ass Cracka
They know what they see. And around Dorchester—Maryland's lowest-lying county and the focus of our film—residents see erosion of the shoreline, high tides that seem to come more often and forests dying along the marsh edges.

Doesn't the high tide come approximately every 12 hours? And hasn't it been that way for, Oh, I don't know, hundreds if not thousands of years?

Is this author a 'fake news' purveyor?

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
The Chesapeake Bay has lost dozens of islands since the 1600s.

Sorry Tangier it's your turn.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Doesn't the high tide come approximately every 12 hours? And hasn't it been that way for, Oh, I don't know, hundreds if not thousands of years?

Is this author a 'fake news' purveyor?

To be fair...I know the author was referring to the increased number of "extra high" tidal crests we seem to be having theses days. In recent years, our island is under water more often for some reason. Or so it seems anyway. Some high tide events are a real mystery, occurring despite perfectly calm wind and nice weather. We have a NOAA reporting station on the pier; NOAA is trying to get the tidal surges modeled.

Hijinx

I have a piece of land on the water. It used to have a sort of bank and then some flat land out in front of it. The flat land in front is now under water everyday and the big pine trees that were on it are gone. The Tide in the creek covers the piers on a good high tide now.
There is no doubt the water level is rising . Heron Island bar is now gone.
But here is the thing. This didn't start yesterday. I am 75 and it has been happening since I was a boy. We have all seen it.
To believe that humans can stop it is silly. I don't know why it is happening, I don't think anyone does.
And I don't think there is anything we can do about it.

black dog

Free America
The Gulf Stream has picked up speed and is pushing more water into the Chesapeake.:shrug:

My Mother and Stepfather own a home on the Magothy just southeast of Ulmstead Point, They built in 72 or 73. There place and neighbors on both sides have nice sandy beachs that grow a few inches in the river each year..
My stepfather also has watched the river go up for a period and then go back down.. He swears theirs no rhyme or reason for it..

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
The Gulf Stream has picked up speed and is pushing more water into the Chesapeake.:shrug:

Can't say I've noticed an increase in mean tide level though...and I've been on the same island since I was a little kid. Just the random high peaks that seem to be more prevalent. About 2 acres of my yard is under water probably 6-8 times a year now. I remember when once or twice was the norm and then only due to combined wind from east/southeast) and stormy weather (low pressure system).

As for Heron Island..I remember beaching the skiff on it and walking around. More than 40 years ago. Used to nip oysters along the western edge of it back then too. It simply continued to erode until it's now not even exposed at very low tide. Catches the occasional boat prop though. ;-)

Last edited:

This_person

I have a piece of land on the water. It used to have a sort of bank and then some flat land out in front of it. The flat land in front is now under water everyday and the big pine trees that were on it are gone. The Tide in the creek covers the piers on a good high tide now.
There is no doubt the water level is rising . Heron Island bar is now gone.
But here is the thing. This didn't start yesterday. I am 75 and it has been happening since I was a boy. We have all seen it.
To believe that humans can stop it is silly. I don't know why it is happening, I don't think anyone does.
And I don't think there is anything we can do about it.

I know Lake Michigan is much shallower than it was even thirty years ago. I saw water slides that used to be 50 feet from the shoreline IN the lake that are now 100 feet away from the shoreline on dry land. The slides are not what moved; the shoreline moved.

Where did all the water go?

black dog

Free America
I remember softshelling behind their home and have grass get stuck between my toes.. Back when Bluefish were bigger than Rockfish...

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
I remember softshelling behind their home and have grass get stuck between my toes.. Back when Bluefish were bigger than Rockfish...

Grass and seaweed were both thicker in our coves this year than I've seen in a very long time. Lot more dolphin pods too. Perch are the biggest I've ever seen them..many over 12". So it's not all bad news for the local waters...

Hijinx

Funny story.
A friend installed a boat lift. then he decided to place a steel carport over it to keep the weather off the boat. The county came down and made him remove the canopy. They told him it shaded the creek ans stopped the grass from growing. LMAO we haven't seen grasses here in 50 years since the Government sprayed the Potomac and killed it all.

black dog

Free America
Grass and seaweed were both thicker in our coves this year than I've seen in a very long time. Lot more dolphin pods too. Perch are the biggest I've ever seen them..many over 12". So it's not all bad news for the local waters...

That's excellent...

Hijinx

We got a little (Damned Little) grass in St Clements Bay this year, but the Swan came in an wiped it out.
Haven't seen enough grass for a soft crab to shed in for years.

nutz

To be fair...I know the author was referring to the increased number of "extra high" tidal crests we seem to be having theses days. In recent years, our island is under water more often for some reason. Or so it seems anyway. Some high tide events are a real mystery, occurring despite perfectly calm wind and nice weather. We have a NOAA reporting station on the pier; NOAA is trying to get the tidal surges modeled.

global warming, ice cap melting....why all the surprise now? :sarcasm:

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Pond Swans, the real reason to own a Ruger MK2 with a can...

Some years back, we were overrun (counted over 100 of them in our cove once) with an invasive species of Swan that were very aggressive toward native waterfowl and voracious sea grass consumers. DNR initiated an eradication program eventually and wiped the population out within about three years. But our indigenous Swans can put a hurt on the grass too...

black dog

Free America
Pond ducks, Pond Swans, Pond Geese and any residential waterfowl... All fair rimfire game... Canadians are on the top of the list..