Thanksgiving

Littlebit

Bob Evan's, Isaac's in Holiday Inn Solomon's, Front Porch Leonardtown. Probably best to make reservations at all three.

littlelady

God bless the USA
Anyone know any place (St Mary's) open for Thanksgiving dinner?

Cooking Thanksgiving dinner is exhausting, and for the birds! :lol: I don’t have any reccommendations. I will say the best part about Thanksgiving is the left over turkey sandwiches. Yum! Happy Thanksgiving, mitzi. I hope life is going well for you. :huggy:

How about a nice Chinese Buffet?

:lol: A Christmas Story has been an inside joke in our fam for years. We have a leg lamp that has been passed around year after year, like a petrified fruitcake. Happy Thanksgiving!

Fa ra ra ra ra.....

Oh wait.....that’s Christmas.

:lol:

Last edited:

mitzi

Cooking Thanksgiving dinner is exhausting, and for the birds! :lol: I don’t have any reccommendations. I will say the best part about Thanksgiving is the left over turkey sandwiches. Yum! Happy Thanksgiving, mitzi. I hope life is going well for you. :huggy:

:lol: A Christmas Story has been an inside joke in our fam for years. We have a leg lamp that has been passed around year after year, like a petrified fruitcake. Happy Thanksgiving!

:lol:

That is the best part is the leftovers. I'll miss that.

mitzi

Thanks for the suggestions, they all sound great (except Chinese for Thanksgiving is just wrong lol and I can't make it to the Keys). The very first time I didn't cook and went out was 3 years ago. It just wasn't in me, my Dad had passed away 2 months before. It was great but I did miss the leftovers. The next day I made a small turkey for sandwiches.

Grumpy

My guilty pleasure is brining the bird, making the stuffing, stuffing and roasting the bird while watching the parades..After that, I wouldn't mind at all going out somewhere to eat..:lol:

littlelady

God bless the USA
My guilty pleasure is brining the bird, making the stuffing, stuffing and roasting the bird while watching the parades..After that, I wouldn't mind at all going out somewhere to eat..:lol:

Brining is everything! No matter how you cook it. My fave is cooking in the turkey fryer. And, yes, going out to eat def eliminates the stress of it all. Happy Thanksgiving!

acommondisaster

I can't add anything to where to eat out on T-day in your area - maybe one of the hotels? (Rod and Reel?). The golf club at Swan Point (Chuck County) puts on one hella dinner - I did that last year, when I had to work and the rest of the family went to NJ for a family reunion type dinner. Got a lot of "oh you poor thing, eating alone...are you and your hubby getting divorced or something?" looks. It was kind of funny, the number of people who came over to the table, politely being curious about what I was doing there alone. :D

As for brining - did it a few times - including once in an apple cider and spices type of brine. It was very tender, but I can't say that it added much special flavor to the bird itself. But as someone who loves the mashed taters and gravy as the main attraction to the meal (with gravy ladeled over just about the whole dang plate), the gravy derived from said bird was far too sweet (yeah, I'm not a jar gravy kinda gal) and it nearly ruined the meal for me. I'm also not a fan of the leathery skin that comes along with a brined turkey, though I can really do without the skin....but the gravy....*sob*

As far as a deep fried bird - meh....I don't get all of the hoopla. It seems like an expensive, messy, labor intensive ordeal with not much reward for all the effort involved (including wth do you do with all that oil afterwards?) A roast turkey's not that much work and pretty easy to cook...they're so injected with fluid they dont really need basting - just dont over cook it and it's all good.

If I were to do a take out turkey, I'd probably go with Bojangles - though you have to pick it up before 2pm. They do some banging chicken so I'm sure their turkey would be awesome.

I went thru a phase for a few years deep frying. Got pretty good at it, liked it done that way, but I could never get the skin crispy. Then the price for peanut oil jumped up and it cost more than I wanted to spend for a turkey. Went back to a traditional oven baked bird.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
I went thru a phase for a few years deep frying. Got pretty good at it, liked it done that way, but I could never get the skin crispy. Then the price for peanut oil jumped up and it cost more than I wanted to spend for a turkey. Went back to a traditional oven baked bird.

I always cook ours in the smoker.

lovinmaryland

I always cook ours in the smoker.

I just said the same thing in another thread. LOVE smoking turkeys. The meat is so tender and flavorful. The only problem is obviously you can't make gravy w/ a smoked bird or use the carcuss to make stock. So that's why I typically smoke one and then bake one.

I used to brine our birds but like the previous poster mentioned the drippings either are too salty or sweet. The past few birds I've made I've actually dry brined. Thaw it, rinse it, pat it super dry, rub w/ salt in and out, then set on a rack in the fridge and let it dry brine 24 hours...you can go longer but I do 24 hours...skin gets very golden and crispy and the meat is nice and juicy. :yum: