Looking for a good car

frequentflier

happy to be living
We rented our in law apartment to a couple from Japan here for 1- 2 1/2 years and are looking for a used American made car for about $5000. My husband has been doing some searching for them and is willing to go tire kicking at dealers because there is a language barrier and we don't want to see them get screwed. Anyone have or know of someone that has a car for sale that has been well maintained? I doubt they want to drive to Nevada in it but should be dependable for local jaunts.

Anyone?

BernieP

Resident PIA
Ad on the radio for Leonardtown Ford, they have cars for as low as 3900 (or was it 3999). They claim all fees included.
That said, I don't know what your are going to get for that price.

Rules of thumb, you get a better price on a private sale, but then you are stuck with getting it inspected and tagged.

Go to a reputable dealer you will pay more but hopefully they take care of the inspection and all the other paper work.

The closer you get to DC / NOVA, the lower the prices, if you stay in St. Mary's (or Calvert) expect to pay top dollar as you are a captive market.

As for reputation of the various dealers, I'm sure you will find everyone of them has at least one person who will send you there, and one who will say they are a crook.

Having been around the block a couple of times, Toyota of SOMD (on 235) is pretty decent.

black dog

Free America
I know the mechanic that does all the State Inspections their, and he also does all needed repairs to the used cars at Leonardtown Ford.. Butch doesn't let's anything slide when he does inspections.. The cars most likely will be late models that are clean but have high mileage... You also could roll by Hodges and see if he has a bargain lot..

frequentflier

happy to be living
I know the mechanic that does all the State Inspections their, and he also does all needed repairs to the used cars at Leonardtown Ford.. Butch doesn't let's anything slide when he does inspections.. The cars most likely will be late models that are clean but have high mileage... You also could roll by Hodges and see if he has a bargain lot..

I have heard both good and bad about Hodges. This couple is probably not interested in a high mileage vehicle. Dependability for them and their daughter is important. We reached out to our mechanic and he has nothing to sell but did offer getting a car up to date on inspection would be good.

glhs837

Power with Control
Pretty sure Hodges still has a "value" lot. So, quite a few "japanese" cars are American made, or are they looking for an American branded car?

frequentflier

happy to be living
Pretty sure Hodges still has a "value" lot. So, quite a few "japanese" cars are American made, or are they looking for an American branded car?

"AMERICAN" made they said; including Jeep; which we told them may not be in their price range. My guess is they don't want easily obtained foreign made vehicles; including the Toyota Camry rental they are driving. I think they are wanting to be American and experience the American Dream.
Clueless here. Just trying to help :lol:

Last edited:

black dog

Free America
I have heard both good and bad about Hodges. This couple is probably not interested in a high mileage vehicle. Dependability for them and their daughter is important. We reached out to our mechanic and he has nothing to sell but did offer getting a car up to date on inspection would be good.

I put irrigation in Mrs Hodges home 10 years or so ago, We spoke many times over a few days about cars and I never had the opinion that he was anything but a honest man.
I would still cruise by Leonardtown Ford and peek at there used cars every other day of so and see what's available.. It usually changes everyday..
What I know like I said earlier was, the mechanic that does all the State Inspections there is a stickler with his work..

You gotta remember 5 grand only buys so much.. And that's from a guy, that my daily hooptie is a 94 Lexus...

glhs837

Power with Control
I put irrigation in Mrs Hodges home 10 years or so ago, We spoke many times over a few days about cars and I never had the opinion that he was anything but a honest man.
I would still cruise by Leonardtown Ford and peek at there used cars every other day of so and see what's available.. It usually changes everyday..
What I know like I said earlier was, the mechanic that does all the State Inspections there is a stickler with his work..

You gotta remember 5 grand only buys so much.. And that's from a guy, that my daily hooptie is a 94 Lexus...

Bought two vehicles from hem and was very happy. One of my team members (active military officer) actually lives next door to Tom and loves the whole family. I would not really advise on using a new car dealer for cars in this price range. Thats getting right on the bottom where margins are slim. and there are lots of things that pass inspection but would mean maybe a less than stellar lifetime. Not knocking your friend, but he can only do what he can within what they will let him.

black dog

Free America
Bought two vehicles from hem and was very happy. One of my team members (active military officer) actually lives next door to Tom and loves the whole family. I would not really advise on using a new car dealer for cars in this price range. Thats getting right on the bottom where margins are slim. and there are lots of things that pass inspection but would mean maybe a less than stellar lifetime. Not knocking your friend, but he can only do what he can within what they will let him.

Mr Hodges is a good guy in my book..
Of course, why would a car dealer put more money in a car or truck if they can't make a decent profit margin on it...

Trade ins, The new car dealer has pick of the crop for those..
So where do you think most of the cars come from that fill the lower end at the new car dealerships? They tend to keep the worthwhile trade ins that don't need a bunch of work, generally because the owners took decent care of the car / truck before it was traded in..

glhs837

Power with Control
He's a good guy in my book..
Of course, why would a car dealer put more money in a car or truck if they can't make a decent profit margin on it...

Trade ins, The new car dealer has pick of the crop for those..
So where do you think most of the cars come from that fill the lower end at the new car dealerships? They tend to keep the worthwhile trade ins that don't need a bunch of work, generally because the owners took decent care of the car / truck before it was traded in..

I'm not saying that they should not make money, nor that your guy isn't a good guy. I just feel that in the 5K price range I wouldn't buy from a dealer, or at least a new car dealer.

frequentflier

happy to be living
When I moved here, I drove cars for a *side of the road* used car seller to and from the auction house in Frederickburg, VA. Several trips a week and sometimes two or three on auction day. EVERY car had something wrong with it - sometimes minor stuff like the door for the gas cap was busted, sometimes it needed tires or front end alignment. He fixed them to the point of being able to pass inspection. I enjoyed the job and got to drive a lot of nice luxury cars (and a few mini vans and roller skates) and got paid well for it. The auction experience was interesting and I quickly learned who the crooks were :lol: and what to look for and what to pass on. He taught me well!

He is no longer in the area, unfortunately. I will share your info, glhs87 and black dog, with my husband. Thank you!

lovinmaryland

Rick's auto sales in Mechanicsville sells cars that have passed Maryland state inspection so they are ready to go. (at least when my son was looking a few months ago they did) I know a lot of the other dealers in the area any vehicles that are sold for less than 10k don't come w/ that. I can't tell you how many clients I've had come in telling me they've had to spend hundreds (some even more) to get their vehicles to pass inspection. I've personally bought 2 vehicles private sale since living in Maryland (both between 5k -6k) and each vehicle needed at least $800 to pass Maryland inspection. Our truck needed ball joints (I'm pretty sure that's what it was) and the other car needed some weird miscellaneous things that totaled $800.