Ugh, I hate this

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
My baby is burning oil. 2006 Rav4. She's been an excellent car to me, but now she's doing stupid things. My hood is pitted from dumb trees and you polluter types, and since Maine she's been needing me (okay, Monello) to feed her oil between changes.

I am sad.

So should I continue to baby my baby, or should I call it a day and get a new car? I can afford a new car, I just don't want to. This car and I have been through a lot together.

"Nobody can replace Brad"

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
FWIW, there is no noticeable burning oil smell or visible oil leaking. PCV valve?

MR47930

Whole lot cheaper to try and fix her up than the monthly payments of a new car. How many miles? If it's not north of 200k I would invest a little cash and try to prolong the life.

glhs837

Power with Control
FWIW, there is no noticeable burning oil smell or visible oil leaking. PCV valve?

Slightly more smoke on start up? Valve seals would let some oil in during operation, but not enough to cause visible smoke or even much of a smell, but after cooldown would let more in that would be burnt pretty fast on startup.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Our 2004 Murano inexplicably started using about a quart of oil every 1500 miles or so. Put over 40,000 miles on it with it doing that. No idea where it is going. And stopped caring .....and just checked the oil often.

mAlice

professional daydreamer
If you want to keep her, fix her. Even though my car is only a few years old, I'm in the market for a new ride. I want a pick'emup truck.

transporter

My baby is burning oil. 2006 Rav4. She's been an excellent car to me, but now she's doing stupid things. My hood is pitted from dumb trees and you polluter types, and since Maine she's been needing me (okay, Monello) to feed her oil between changes.

I am sad.

So should I continue to baby my baby, or should I call it a day and get a new car? I can afford a new car, I just don't want to. This car and I have been through a lot together.

"Nobody can replace Brad"

So you have no idea what is causing the oil usage but you want advice on whether to buy a new car because of the oil usage? That's brilliant.

Hey, here's an idea! Why don't you have your mechanic diagnose the problem? Once the problem and solution are known, then make the decision to ride it till it dies, fix it, or get a new one.

mAlice

professional daydreamer
So you have no idea what is causing the oil usage but you want advice on whether to buy a new car because of the oil usage? That's brilliant.

Hey, here's an idea! Why don't you have your mechanic diagnose the problem? Once the problem and solution are known, then make the decision to ride it till it dies, fix it, or get a new one.

Really? That's all ya' got? You just wanna' be a jerk? You're pathetic. You miss the whole concept of social media.

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
Really? That's all ya' got? You just wanna' be a jerk? You're pathetic. You miss the whole concept of social media.

Some peoples purpose in life is to be an example.

see kids this is a dick, don't be a dick.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member

You should start a web blog giving out advice on automotive matters. Your brilliance is stunning.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
148k miles - not super high, but up there. When we get to Marathon I'll hook up with the Toyota service place in Key West. It will be about ready for an oil change by then, and they can check everything out.

When we were in Solomons I took it to Toyota in Lex Park. They did an oil change and put a seal on the cap; told me to drive it 1000 miles and bring it back to check for oil consumption. Well, we weren't going to be there in 1000 miles, so I took it to Toyota in St. Augustine, told the guy what was going on, he said don't worry about it, just keep an eye on the oil and add as needed. Neither said anything about a valve needing to be replaced, but that seems to be the general consensus here (and yes, I value you all's opinion). I would prefer to have the problem fixed, if it's something fixable and not an engine rebuild or some crazy thing.

I'm also looking for opinions on when it's time to get a new car. Both of my ex-husbands liked to get something new every few years; if it were up to me I'd still be driving my '92 Wrangler - I don't like new things unless I hate the old thing. How often do you all trade in? Is there anything new cars come with now that I might care about?

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
We're shopping for a "new" small SUV right now. The Murano had 208K on it when we sold it last month and our 2000 Cherokee has 180K on it and sprouting all kinds of problems that I don't feel like dealing with. The Toyota RAV and Honda CRV are our first choices....looking at 2014-2015 models with less than 50K on the ticker.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
We're shopping for a "new" small SUV right now. The Murano had 208K on it when we sold it last month and our 2000 Cherokee has 180K on it and sprouting all kinds of problems that I don't feel like dealing with. The Toyota RAV and Honda CRV are our first choices....looking at 2014-2015 models with less than 50K on the ticker.

FWIW, I love my Rav4. When it's time to get rid of it, I'll most likely get another one.

Chris0nllyn

Possibly. It's a cheap fix (About $5 through Rockauto.com) so it's worth a shot to look into. Take it off and shake it. If you can hear the detent rattling around in it, it's usually okay.

What motor? The 4 cyl (2.4L) or v6 (3.5L)?

Is there oil on the plug heads?

How much oil is being lost between changes? How long between changes? What oil weight? Synthetic or conventional?

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Possibly. It's a cheap fix (About $5 through Rockauto.com) so it's worth a shot to look into. Take it off and shake it. If you can hear the detent rattling around in it, it's usually okay.

What motor? The 4 cyl (2.4L) or v6 (3.5L)?

Is there oil on the plug heads?

How much oil is being lost between changes? How long between changes? What oil weight? Synthetic or conventional?

It is a known problem with the 2AZ-FE Engine. Excessive oil consumption is from a faulty oil control ring on the #3 piston. They did an extended and enhanced warranty for the problem where the dealer was to replace the piston for free.

AnthonyJames

R.I.P. My Brother Rick
Try this, it can't hurt. I know peeps who swear by it.

01-EngineOilSptopLeak_800x950[1].jpg