Visa Pre paid credit card.

Hijinx

This post probably doesn't belong here, but I will place it here anyway.
If nothing else it shows my mistake to all.

I went to CVS and picked up a Visa pre paid credit card. Big Mistake. But I wanted to make some online purchases and I don't like putting my credit card online.Anyway here is the story.

The card cost me $1.95 at the CVS.
On my way home I started reading the small print on the back.

First you have to go online or by phone and go through the old press one press this press that to get the card authorized.
You cannot just use it. It has to be authorized.
So I get home and go to the web site. Could not for the life of me find where to get this card authorized.
So then to the phone. I might mention that I only place $100 dollars on the card. Thank God for that.

So back to the phone started pressing number. The card number, my zip code, my birth date then they wanted my Social security number. Nope that's none of their business, so I stopped and they authorized the card without it.

As soon as it was authorized it cost me $7.95 off of the $100 dollars I placed on it. I might add that they take $7.95 every month for the card. and if you want to place more on the card that costs $4.95.

I went down to the gas pump and tried to use it and it said see the attendant So I figured it din't work and drove off. I tried it later it did the same thing.

So this morning I tried calling the number on the back of the card and went through the button pushing thing again , and the message I got was that the card is only good for interpersonal use. In other words I have to speak to someone each time I use the card which lets me out of being able to use it on the internet. At least that is my interpretation. I can only assume it is because I wouldn't give them my Social Security number.

I haven't tried going to the store to use it yet so I don't know if it will work there or not.
I will say that as I looked all through the internet for a way to speak to human being I haven't found a way.
No human beings to contact that I can find, Just speaking to a computer through pushing buttons on the phone.
I write this her to inform others I figure at the most I am out $100 bucks. Not a big deal, but $100 bucks is $100 bucks.

If you want to go through the BS to get this pre planned card Know what you have to go through.
I certainly do not recommend it.
I will go to the bank and get a new credit card with a minimal limit on it and use that.
Pre Paid Visa Card IMO sucks.Is too expensive if you really want it and for me doesn't appear to even work in the form I planned on using it.

mAlice

professional daydreamer
Thanks for sharing that. I've always been suspicious of pre-paid cards. I've gotten a few as gifts, and found them difficult to use.

Hijinx

Thanks for sharing that. I've always been suspicious of pre-paid cards. I've gotten a few as gifts, and found them difficult to use.

Well I justwent out and filled my car with gas, but I had to go to the attendant to use the card. Another reason I got it was so I wouldn't have to, but it did work.
I made a mistake (not the first one I ever made, I voted for McCain.) and it will work itself out. But the card doesn't do what I wanted it to do and it is a pain in the ass registering it and it is much too expensive. Lesson learned.

lovinmaryland

Did you get one that is like a bank account card? Or just a visa gift card?

Like you when we travel and for some online purchases (my amazon & apple acts) I use a visa pre paid gift card. I buy a card for whatever my budget is for that trip (setting aside some cash) I've never had a problem using it at gas stations, hotels, or restaurants. The only time I was charged a fee was the $4.95 activation fee when I purchased the gift card :shrug:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Good grief. Why do they make it such a hassle?? The kids got an AmEx gift card from their uncle years ago, and it was a nightmare to use too.

Hijinx

Did you get one that is like a bank account card? Or just a visa gift card?

Like you when we travel and for some online purchases (my amazon & apple acts) I use a visa pre paid gift card. I buy a card for whatever my budget is for that trip (setting aside some cash) I've never had a problem using it at gas stations, hotels, or restaurants. The only time I was charged a fee was the $4.95 activation fee when I purchased the gift card :shrug:

I assume my problem was that I refused to give my Social Security number.
One of my pet peaves is that no one wants to pay a person to speak to others at their business.
If you cannot afford to answer your phone close the damn doors.

I want to speak to a human when I call.

nutz

This post probably doesn't belong here, but I will place it here anyway.
If nothing else it shows my mistake to all.

I went to CVS and picked up a Visa pre paid credit card. Big Mistake. But I wanted to make some online purchases and I don't like putting my credit card online.Anyway here is the story.

The card cost me $1.95 at the CVS.
On my way home I started reading the small print on the back.

First you have to go online or by phone and go through the old press one press this press that to get the card authorized.
You cannot just use it. It has to be authorized.
So I get home and go to the web site. Could not for the life of me find where to get this card authorized.
So then to the phone. I might mention that I only place $100 dollars on the card. Thank God for that.

So back to the phone started pressing number. The card number, my zip code, my birth date then they wanted my Social security number. Nope that's none of their business, so I stopped and they authorized the card without it.

As soon as it was authorized it cost me $7.95 off of the $100 dollars I placed on it. I might add that they take $7.95 every month for the card. and if you want to place more on the card that costs $4.95.

I went down to the gas pump and tried to use it and it said see the attendant So I figured it din't work and drove off. I tried it later it did the same thing.

So this morning I tried calling the number on the back of the card and went through the button pushing thing again , and the message I got was that the card is only good for interpersonal use. In other words I have to speak to someone each time I use the card which lets me out of being able to use it on the internet. At least that is my interpretation. I can only assume it is because I wouldn't give them my Social Security number.

I haven't tried going to the store to use it yet so I don't know if it will work there or not.
I will say that as I looked all through the internet for a way to speak to human being I haven't found a way.
No human beings to contact that I can find, Just speaking to a computer through pushing buttons on the phone.
I write this her to inform others I figure at the most I am out $100 bucks. Not a big deal, but $100 bucks is $100 bucks.

If you want to go through the BS to get this pre planned card Know what you have to go through.
I certainly do not recommend it.
I will go to the bank and get a new credit card with a minimal limit on it and use that.
Pre Paid Visa Card IMO sucks.Is too expensive if you really want it and for me doesn't appear to even work in the form I planned on using it.

Yep, that sucks. Call/ login, whatever your regular credit card merchant and see if they support virtual account numbers. These are one time use/temporary numbers that link back to your account, easy peasy.

https://www.cardbenefits.citi.com/Products/Virtual-Account-Numbers

nutz

One of my pet peaves is that no one wants to pay a person to speak to others at their business.

Overseas toll free numbers are expensive :razz:

black dog

Free America
I have a reloadable Amex card I have had for quite few years now. It was 3.99 to buy the card but it doesn't cost anything to add cash on it and there's no monthly service fee. I use it for my online purchases..

Check with your local bank/credit union. Sometimes they offer a card with minimal limits just for this kind of thing, and it's fully protected like your regular card.

lovinmaryland

Yea I'm thinking you bought a pre paid bank account and not a pre paid visa gift card. W/ the visa gift card you don't have to give them any information.

officeguy

This falls under anti money laundering regulations for the credit card industry.

I just use my regular amex for online purchases. Same number for 10 years and never had it breached.

Starman

I just use my personal card for everything. Technically, consumers are responsible for only $50 of their but the two times my numbers were lifted my liability was waived and it didn’t cost me anything.

When we finally get chip and pin here the liability will transfer to retailers to ensure their POS and associated back end systems are secured or the loss liability is on them.

I’ve been given a few VISA gift cards over the years but never had a problem using them. I agree that we can blame our anti laundering laws (fueled largely by the War on Drugs) for this.

BOP

Check with your local bank/credit union. Sometimes they offer a card with minimal limits just for this kind of thing, and it's fully protected like your regular card.

I ordered the Go card from NFCU. It hasn't arrived yet, but everyone I've talked to really likes it.