Electric car emissions...

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Well shoot...that's not good.

But, like all things EV, it seems like it’s only the rah-rah, let’s-plunge-headfirst-into-something-we-haven’t-fully-calculated optimism that gets the media’s attention. A little more sobering is a recent study by the University of Michigan that calculated the “well-to-wheels” production of automotive greenhouse gases depending on a) the source of the electricity used to recharge said electric vehicles and b) the rough country-by-country breakdown of those sources.

http://driving.ca/auto-news/news/motor-mouth-a-few-more-inconvenient-truths-about-ev-co2-emissions

Not really news, we've suspected as much for a long time, but appyling the actual numbers to it is kinda sobering.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Not really news, we've suspected as much for a long time, but appyling the actual numbers to it is kinda sobering.

Yep. Reminds me too much of the corn-to-ethanol debacle. Makes no sense whatsoever when studied quantitatively. More damage than good..

black dog

Free America
Yep. Reminds me too much of the corn-to-ethanol debacle. Makes no sense whatsoever when studied quantitatively. More damage than good..

Yep... And it's big money being made with ethanol in Indiana. Last I looked we had 14 ethanol plants here..

Clem72

and the TOXIC Metals in the batteries

What if I don't give a #### if it's toxic and pollutes, and just want the convenience and savings of using using electricity at home? Am I not allowed to like something because misguided hippies like it too?

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
And those metals are a limited supply and mining destroys the environment.

On a truly massive scale. Lithium mining is mind boggling in its destructiveness. And then there is the issue of dealing with it when the batteries are spent.

black dog

Free America
On a truly massive scale. Lithium mining is mind boggling in its destructiveness. And then there is the issue of dealing with it when the batteries are spent.

Unlike the rack of lead acid batteries in my dually that are 100% recyclable..